DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm Pissed off, but do I have a right to be?

IMG_5623.gif
Yes you can say it we just don't indorse it ;)

Dont forget about all the Spark owners.

Why, because they improved on the design of a new bird released what 15 months later. Cmon man. The Mavic is awesome. The upgrade to the air from a Mavic meh. Pretty close with the edge to the newer bird.

I see no reason to "upgrade" to a Mavic Air.
The Air is a downgrade to the Pro IMO. Ocu-Sync is missing, battery size is smaller, flight time is less, range is less. To me, those two features are the heart of the drone, range and flight time. It's like the motor when you buy a car, it's gotta be acceptable before considering all the other stuff like cup holders and stereo system.

Not sure if I'm allowed to say this but I'll try to be subtle.

I LOOOVE my Mavic Pro after I hooked it once to the computer and did some things. Been flying with these internal changes for 6months and there is no way I will buy the bulky Phantoms or the "pocket"sparks and the new Air. My top speed (MP) is over 80km/h and descend/ascend 10m/s. When I learned to control these speeds with a real cameradrone and not a racingdeone i cannot get enough of the Mavic Pro. Ever.
Just my two cents.
I'm the same way, I LOVE my P4P with parameter mods. I can't get enough of climbing high mountains and capturing high elevation views, all within 400' of ground of course. My Mavic has the same parameter mods, but it doesn't have as much battery as P4P and it's a little more vulnerable to wind, not to mention the way superior camera on P4P. I don't use my MP as much because of that, but do enjoy it when I'm mountain biking or need a quiet drone, such as capturing animals where the MP can get closer without scaring the animal, really close sometimes. The MP 2X zoom is nice too when recording in 1080. I would have a hard time settling for a new drone that can't be modified for these freedoms, I'm totally spoiled with the extended capabilities of my 4 craft. It's videos like this one I recently captured Hawaii that have me so addicted to high elevation flights.

You're not alone! A Mavic Pro II with a 20mp camera! I'M IN!

No, no....trust me. You dont want 20mp in a 1/2.6 sensor. That is way too small. You would have extremely tiny photosites and a VERY low saturation value. Dynamic range would be terrible and the signal to noise ratio would be horrible.

The P4P can get away with 20mp because the sensor is WAY larger than 1/2.6. It has has about 11 stops of dynamic range and can do a 5k readout to 4k scaling relatively cleanly without huge amounts of noise reduction processing.

I own a P4P and a Spark. I owned a Mavic Pro but sold it to buy the P4P. For me, the Air ticks all my boxes. Especially with that 100mbp/s H.264 CODEC. I always felt my Mavic was soft and "mushy" in bushes and trees. That 60mbp/s Ambarella chip CODEC is not very good. I dont know what encoder they are using now, (Intel?) but it already looks much more detailed than my Mavic did. It still doesnt touch the P4P's 1 inch-type Sony sensor at 100Mbp/s on H.265 HEVC but the Air is much closer than the mavic now.

Already pre ordered.....cant wait.

Reactions: floyd
I'd have to agree with others who have commented that the lack of OcuSync rules out the Air as a serious competitor for many uses. As for the video, I'd be surprised if there is much difference in quality since it has the same sensor as the MP, but it will be interesting to see once more independent reviews are available.
if dji had not named it, I would have called it a spark 2 after watching the launch.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
cant see it replacing the mavic for me, but it is a nice little trainer, especially if i wanted to by 1/2 dozen. I tried a spark but it just isnt what i want in a trainer. Hopefully the air will fill the spot.

I'm the same way, I LOVE my P4P with parameter mods. I can't get enough of climbing high mountains and capturing high elevation views, all within 400' of ground of course. My Mavic has the same parameter mods, but it doesn't have as much battery as P4P and it's a little more vulnerable to wind, not to mention the way superior camera on P4P. I don't use my MP as much because of that, but do enjoy it when I'm mountain biking or need a quiet drone, such as capturing animals where the MP can get closer without scaring the animal, really close sometimes. The MP 2X zoom is nice too when recording in 1080. I would have a hard time settling for a new drone that can't be modified for these freedoms, I'm totally spoiled with the extended capabilities of my 4 craft. It's videos like this one I recently captured Hawaii that have me so addicted to high elevation flights.

Lovely video!

Can you explain why you'd need parameter modifying for this sort of thing? Can't the Mavic Pro - out of the box - fly this route? I guess I don't understand how elevation works in terms of what the limits are? Unless the 400ft is based on where it took off from, and not its ACTUAL location...

Lovely video!

Can you explain why you'd need parameter modifying for this sort of thing? Can't the Mavic Pro - out of the box - fly this route? I guess I don't understand how elevation works in terms of what the limits are? Unless the 400ft is based on where it took off from, and not its ACTUAL location...
No, stock you're limited to 1640' (500m) elevation gain from home point. This flight was 2400' up.

Reactions: Peio64270
From home point. Right. OK, so will need to tinker for situations like this, where it's perfectly legal to up the altitude while maintaining under 400ft AGL.
Technically, to be legal, you also need to keep a visual connection with with the craft, and unless you put a super bright strobe on the craft, you can't see it that far away without binoculars, and visual aids like binoculars aren't allowed.

Reactions: Peio64270
The Mavic Pro could use the sensors on the Mavic Air but that would make them the same but with better range on the MP ....

No, stock you're limited to 1640' (500m) elevation gain from home point. This flight was 2400' up.
Not to mention no high wind warnings ever again, autoland velocities are optimal and much, much more. So keep your wifi-air-sparks. Looks even like 50$ plastic drone and costs yet 799$

Really bugs me that they named it MAVIC AIR why not just DJI Air?!?

I see no reason to get rid of the Mavic Pro. Similar specs, longer flight time, to me still really portable... and have you seen that ugly control from the air? Either way you can still find the Mavic Pro at the same similar starting price of the Mavic Air. Makes no sense to buy the Mavic Air.
Agreed! I bought my Mavic Pro Alpine Edition when it first came out. It is a powerful and intuitive package. I have enjoyed it. The Mavic Air seems like a great drone. However, it's not enough of a change to make me part ways with my Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clement312