DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inspire 2 shot out of the air

That's what I saw right away as well. It got enough penetration to short the battery, and the amount of shot that hit that small cross section has me thinking it was way closer than 100 feet.
It was almost definitley closer than 100' and it looks like it was shot from above.

May have been the owner that shot it...they just had one too many issues with the 'bird'. Seriously, The Inspire was shot at relatively close range....not that it matters. Now, who pays?

pretty generic diagram but I think it is pretty easy to understandwhere_spread2.jpg

Reactions: sjnovakovich
I'm confused, should it matter if we was flying as a hobby or commercial work?

No it shouldn't. That was in response to the post above it querying why he was that low, that close, in that area etc.

I can't see someone flying an i2 for fun low around a busy neighbour. At least i'd hope not.

I am not sure we are getting the whole story. Until then, I will wait for the actual story...and save my solitary 'speculation' brain cell for when it is needed and write the i2 death off as 'fake news'.

Looking at the damage, obviously the shooter was close to the drone. There are people who fly near other peoples houses. There are people who do not fly near other peoples houses.

The shooter was certainly wrong and even criminal. But I don't even do ordinary landscape photography from locations where someone could step out their door and hit my Canon with their shotgun. They would need a rifle with scope to get me.

The Inspire in particular is a big and loud drone to be flying in a neighborhood for what was probably no reason beyond the pilots amusement.
You have no way to determine for sure how close the shooter was. What gauge shotgun? What size shot pellets? What king of choke on the barrel. A tight choke could easily make that group at 50 yds. (150 ft.).

But would it penetrate the thick plastic body shell then the thick plastic battery shell and get into the cells inside all that to get them to short out and burn like it obviously did? That’s a stretch outside of 30 yards even more so with steel shot that has less energy than lead.

But would it penetrate the thick plastic body shell then the thick plastic battery shell and get into the cells inside all that to get them to short out and burn like it obviously did? That’s a stretch outside of 30 yards even more so with steel shot that has less energy than lead.
It will penetrate turkey feathers so it will easily penetrate the drone like it did. 150 ft really is not all that far.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002