DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interesting new follow drone

I am sure the MP2 will have rear sensors and at least the APAS system of the Air on the front. I hope it will have APAS for the rear as well.
This Skydio drone has the best optical tracking I have seen (if it is all done optically.) It seems to work even when the subject is changing shape, going through shadowed areas and passing briefly behind trees. Of course, these are promotional videos. Who knows how well the product will actually work in the hands of real users.

Except the APAS feels painfully-first generation, and it's a gimmick more than it is well-implemented technology. It reminds me of the first implementations of the fingerprint scanners on computers, where you would use it to show it off, then not use it day-to-day because it proves itself to be less useful than it sounds. What's being demonstrated here is well beyond what DJI has shown their sensors to be capable of, and more of what people really expect the sensors to be capable of when they become truly useful for preventing crashes.

Except the APAS feels painfully-first generation, and it's a gimmick more than it is well-implemented technology. It reminds me of the first implementations of the fingerprint scanners on computers, where you would use it to show it off, then not use it day-to-day because it proves itself to be less useful than it sounds. What's being demonstrated here is well beyond what DJI has shown their sensors to be capable of, and more of what people really expect the sensors to be capable of when they become truly useful for preventing crashes.
I agree completely. I just watched a video of the Mavic Air trying to follow a guy on a mountain bike in the woods. The reviewer gushes over the obstacle avoidance, when in fact it was pretty lame. It lost him regularly at slow speeds as well. The Skydio seems to be way ahead with these features.

Last edited:
Outside of the autonomous features, the specs are not particularly impressive. That being said, if someone needs advanced autonomous capabilities and it performs as advertised, certainly it could fit the bill.

It's an expensive, specialized drone, so I'm not sure how big the market will be. I imagine it requires quite a bit of money to keep up with pace of development. It'll be interesting to see where they're at in a year or two, certainly intriguing technology.

It's quite impressive as it is, but once buyers start feeding back to the company and the updates and fine tuning kick in, this may be a real alternative to what DJI offer.
They need to sort out flying over water and I would like to see a remote control that doesn't cost four figures as an accessory. (I don't see one on their site, but if they make one, I bet the cost will make our eyes water).

Range limited to WiFi... Just a follow me drone. Cant do what Mavic does at 4km, slower, no removable chip, 16 batt. warns of not exceeding 30 ft wide spans of water.

Very cool avoidance and predictive flight but it's a different bird for a specific use. I really don't shoot many selfie kind of things

Personally, I think DJI is _way_ behind on tracking capabilities. This has been worked on since the Phantom 3 and has only gotten slightly better. It seems that DJI is putting most of their effort on making smaller selfi drones. I'm sure this is a big market but it's the opposite direction of a robust feature drone. It will be very difficult for someone to come along and grab a large share of the drone market but that door _is_ open.

Imagine this launched by law enforcement chasing someone who thinks he can outrun the cops

Maybe add a remote triggered taser

I pulled the trigger. It's already shipped - will arrive on Monday! Sometimes you have to be an early adopter and just not worry about the cost.

Reactions: CaveDrone
Well, it came and I did 5 flights yesterday. Here are a couple of the clips:

Normal follow mode, with audio - it hits a branch a couple of times but just keeps going.

This one is the magical "Lead Mode". While it doesn't manage to predict my movements the whole time, just watch and see how well it does do:

Good job.
Took me a minute to realise you were on one wheel :)

Well, it came and I did 5 flights yesterday. Here are a couple of the clips:

Normal follow mode, with audio - it hits a branch a couple of times but just keeps going.

This one is the magical "Lead Mode". While it doesn't manage to predict my movements the whole time, just watch and see how well it does do:

Very impressive! I am amazed that it is able to follow with only visual tracking while you are going in and out of shadows and while the sun is flashing directly into the lens through the branches.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard