DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad 4?

I have a mini 4 that works great, except: no cellular data, which doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that this necessarily means that it has no GPS, a fact I was not aware of when I got it. The drone flies fine with its on-board gps, but the ipad needs gps in order to provide the "Find my drone" service that tells you where your lost drone is in relation to you. Without GPS, it will only tell you drone location, and you will not know how far or in what direction to bushwhack in order to find it.

Do not buy one without cell data.

I have a mini 4 that works great, except: no cellular data, which doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that this necessarily means that it has no GPS, a fact I was not aware of when I got it. The drone flies fine with its on-board gps, but the ipad needs gps in order to provide the "Find my drone" service that tells you where your lost drone is in relation to you. Without GPS, it will only tell you drone location, and you will not know how far or in what direction to bushwhack in order to find it.

Correct. It also wont do Follow Me as that relies on the internal GPS chipset of the device that is being used to fly the drone. When one purchases the cellular version it has the GPS chipset added.

Reactions: Inspirephil

I specifically bought the iPad mini “without cellular data” as I seen no reason for two data plans... I simply tether my iPad mini4 to my phone via wifi and all the maps and everything else works just fine....

That will work for people that fly near towns I guess . Where I do most of my flying there is no cell service so hotspot won’t work for me . I have not been able to make offline maps work with my mini 4 so that does suck a tad . I think I have over 400 flights in a service dead places so far . Oh well

Reactions: Inspirephil
I bought a refurbished 32gb WiFi/Cellular iPad mini 4 from Best Buy online for $199 and it works great for flying the Mavic 2 Pro. It was a hassle dealing with Best Buy online and I had to go to the actual store to get it done but that’s a good price for it.

I'll have to try that. Thanks.

I doid try it. Doesn't work with my setup. The iPad still looks to wi-fi for location info even though bluetooth-connected to iPhone hotspot. Result is that the iPad does give a position, but with a 200 ft or 300 ft. circle of uncertainty. Also, the iPhone and the iPad are showing different positions on the map.

When I turn off wi-fi- on the ipad, I get a "position not found", even though it is bluetooth-connected to the iPhone.

my iPhone is rather old, but I don't know if that is the reason.

I doid try it. Doesn't work with my setup. The iPad still looks to wi-fi for location info even though bluetooth-connected to iPhone hotspot. Result is that the iPad does give a position, but with a 200 ft or 300 ft. circle of uncertainty. Also, the iPhone and the iPad are showing different positions on the map.

When I turn off wi-fi- on the ipad, I get a "position not found", even though it is bluetooth-connected to the iPhone.

Instead of bluetooth, have you tried using your phone as a wifi hotspot and connecting that way. That works great for me.

Reactions: JDawg

Another thing that doesn't work is changing the home point to Me instead of takeoff point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damead