DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini - directly into RC or third party mount?

UAFuzz

Reactions
Just curious how you are using your Mini with your Mavic. And if you are using a mount, anyone think the one they are using is great enough to recommend? Any to be avoided?

EDIT: One more question. If I tether a Mini to my phone, am I correct in assuming the Go App will will be able to load the area map?

Just curious how you are using your Mini with your Mavic. And if you are using a mount, anyone think the one they are using is great enough to recommend?
You can find a list of commonly used tablet mounts here.

If I tether a Mini to my phone, am I correct in assuming the Go App will will be able to load the area map?
As long as your phone has reception, you'll be able to download the maps in real-time.

I fit my iPad mini directly into the arms just like a phone but beware of how it can just touch the sport mode switch.

If you mini is wifi only as mine is it will easily tether to you iPhone hotspot and load the maps or you can preload the maps at home before going on site

I put it directly into the RC. It's like it was built specifically for the iPad. It will load the maps and if you have location enabled it will show your location. It is wifi based location though so it's not usable for follow me mode.

I recently purchased Mavmount for the iPad Mini 4 and I have to say the full set up is very impressive, not only do you get a lightweight and durable set up, but it also includes a handy lanyard. The whole setup is super nice and I am very happy customer.

I use this mount for my iPad Mini 4 as I can then attach the Hoodman sun shield to block extraneous light:

Amazon.com : SKYREAT DJI Mavic Pro DJI Spark Aluminum-Alloy Foldable Extender 4-12 Inches Tablet Stand Holder, Snap On / Off Bracket for Mavic, DJI Spark Remote Controller : Camera & Photo

It's well made and fits solid in the Mavic RC and I can leave my iPad in its silicon case.

Good Flying

I have the same mount and its been great. After a whole weekend of flying not really one complaint. The set up seems solid enough. No slipping of the mount when you find the position you like. Not too heavy.

Like Nikon1 said being able to mount the iPad mini while in its case is great.

I tired a millions different mounts for my iPad mini. The Skyreat one with the folding pivot was 2nd place for me, but all of those style plates were too bulky and heavy for my tastes.

(My 2nd favorite since it folds up smaller)
0460a38ea2cee76ced2e73418751c974.jpg

I ended up going with this very simple bracket style below: works awesome, super light, and easier to put the iPad mini in and out of, rather than jamming it into the remote which always made me nervous.

d11d99bf82a126f7837648ec4ee8f4f4.jpeg

It is 3D printed but I don't have a 3D printer. You can just upload the 3D file to 3Dhub.com -- it is sort of like "air b&b " for people with 3D printers. It connects you with someone nearby who owns a 3D printer, you pay them they print it for you via website. It cost me $5.

Shield holder for Mavic Pro by triafgg
Some FedEx stores also have 3D printers as well.

The name says nVidia shield, but it also works for iPad mini. I just put some cushioned tape in the clamp area so it was soft against the iPad rather than hard plastic. Perfectly firm grip.

Reactions: Pathogen
I am using Sunnylife smartphone tablet holder with full Hoodman, iPad 2. Available from Carolina Dronz. Works perfectly.

How does the rubber grip on the rc holding up? Any sign of wear and tear?

Seems to be just fine. I ended up using a file to round off some of the sharp edges of the 3D printed holder. If you are digitally inclined you could round the edges on the 3D design before printing. But even with 90 degree edges it seemed ok. It is the same width as a smartphone, so there is no different wear and tear than its intended use.

I tired a millions different mounts for my iPad mini. The Skyreat one with the folding pivot was 2nd place for me, but all of those style plates were too bulky and heavy for my tastes.

(My 2nd favorite since it folds up smaller)
0460a38ea2cee76ced2e73418751c974.jpg

I ended up going with this very simple bracket style below: works awesome, super light, and easier to put the iPad mini in and out of, rather than jamming it into the remote which always made me nervous.

d11d99bf82a126f7837648ec4ee8f4f4.jpeg

It is 3D printed but I don't have a 3D printer. You can just upload the 3D file to 3Dhub.com -- it is sort of like "air b&b " for people with 3D printers. It connects you with someone nearby who owns a 3D printer, you pay them they print it for you via website. It cost me $5.

Shield holder for Mavic Pro by triafgg
Some FedEx stores also have 3D printers as well.

The name says nVidia shield, but it also works for iPad mini. I just put some cushioned tape in the clamp area so it was soft against the iPad rather than hard plastic. Perfectly firm grip.

Quick question. The part of the bracket that slides into the mavic look a bit fat in that image. Is it a very tight fit or does it slide in nice?

Quick question. The part of the bracket that slides into the mavic look a bit fat in that image. Is it a very tight fit or does it slide in nice?

It fits very nicely - not too stiff but no way its going to fallout.

Good points:
  • Very well made and holds tablet and remote securely
  • Very nicely balanced in use.
  • Folds down quite small.
The only downsides are:
  • It is quite heavy in the kit bag
  • You can't easily see the remote display.

By far the best tablet holder of the 3 I have.

I have a similar one I picked up from eBay and it locks into the holder very well and gives a bit more room for your wrist. No 3D print files though so had to buy it.

Screenshot_20170511-095135_zpsb8kkb2vr.png

I fit my iPad mini directly into the arms just like a phone but beware of how it can just touch the sport mode switch.

If you mini is wifi only as mine is it will easily tether to you iPhone hotspot and load the maps or you can preload the maps at home before going on site

+1
I just ram mine into the 2 arms and it fits like a glove. I can move around and not worry about it falling out.
Use a 90 degree connector and voila.

Another thing i did was shave the corners on the rubber holders so its easier to slide in and out. It also accommodates for my S7 edge with cover.

I use a cheap holder and hood for direct sun, just the Mini4 if I can find shade. I prefer to not have the extra bulk weight and awkwardness, but do need to see the display well. Prepared for contingencies, I am!

I had been just inserting my iPad Mini directly into the remote arms which works fine and super portable. I find seeing the screen in sunlight very tricky. I tried several solutions but they all interfered with using the sticks.

The reason I went for the Skyreat is to fit a good sunshade. It works very well with a cheap foldup one I have, but even a full Hoodman would fit.

Plus I can now get to the spots mode switch. Find I use it a lot more mid flight between shots now I can easily flip it. Before it was very hard to engage.

I assume you were talking about the 3D printed bracket. As printed, it would be "too wide" to hold the iPad as-is, but as I said, I put in some double sided tape (just leg the backing on for the iPad facing side) and then that closed the gap so it is a secure hold AND the plastic doesn't directly touch (and potentially scratch) the iPad. Very secure, can shake it upside down no problem.

The other person replying to your question I think was maybe talking about the skyReat thing which is secure as well, but heavier in your bag / in your hands.

Best holder I could find and was only $5

I have a similar one I picked up from eBay and it locks into the holder very well and gives a bit more room for your wrist. No 3D print files though so had to buy it.

Screenshot_20170511-095135_zpsb8kkb2vr.png

Yes, I saw that too and looks nice. But it was very expensive ($20+) plus month wait for shipping at the time, so I went with the 3D file route.

Someone with more talent than I could probably just update that 3D file to bow in a bit like your eBay one, but the 3D file version actually works fine. My hands don't hit against the sides or anything as-is

Reactions: SeaComms
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot