DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad Mini or 9" iPad Pro

SkeeterHarris

Reactions
Hey folks looking for some thoughts with the Mavic and an iPad. I keep going back and forth between a cellular iPad Mini 4 verse a cellular iPad Pro 9.7.

The size between the iPads is basically 8" x 5.3 verse 9.4" x 6.6 and plan on using a MavMount for either of the devices.

Any experience or thoughts on which direction you would go? Planning on going out tomorrow and buying one of these to fly with. Thanks!

afda5850af996670fa2a7efa834a24f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The cleanest solution i have seen and will be using my self is an ipad mini 4 in the original controler arms (maybe you need to mod the right leg so it does not touch the sport mode switch) and use a 8" right angled lightning to usb cable.

No mounts needed and super porable!

The cleanest solution i have seen and will be using my self is an ipad mini 4 in the original controler arms (maybe you need to mod the right leg so it does not touch the sport mode switch) and use a 8" right angled lightning to usb cable.

No mounts needed and super porable!
This is what I am gonna try. I have never been an apple fan boy but after seeing the retina display on the ipad mini's, I am gonna give it a try, I cant wait.

I have the iPad mini too. After using it on the controller. I noticed how hard it was to look below the controller to fly. It also wasan unatural feel to fly. For those reasons I too bought the Mavmount. It brings the screen into a much more natural and comfortable position to fly. And to be honest all the telemetry on the controller is redundant on the iPad. Therefore no need to be looking there. Mavmount is the way to go.

Sent from my LG-D851 using MavicPilots mobile app

This is what I am gonna try. I have never been an apple fan boy but after seeing the retina display on the ipad mini's, I am gonna give it a try, I cant wait.

Ha.. I hear that I just got rid of all my Macs and switched over to MS Surface after the 2016 MacBook Pro debacle.

The iPads are nice and when you put the mini on top of the 9.7 Pro, you see that physically it's just. If that much bigger and since I have a MavMount that should handle it with out issue. The bigger iPad uses the stylus and can then be used for more.

A touch decisions at least for me on which one to get.

Reactions: eric18 and stu-k
Well after
Much debate and reading here is what sealed the deal for me. Out of all the iPads the latest iPad Pro 9.7 has the brightest Nit rating in their fleet at 500. So I picked up one today and will use it with the MavMount.
bc281fb2164bed122b2c283bc5d831a1.jpg

Reactions: Ken Schmidt
Well after
Much debate and reading here is what sealed the deal for me. Out of all the iPads the latest iPad Pro 9.7 has the brightest Nit rating in their fleet at 500. So I picked up one today and will use it with the MavMount.

Great that you got one although you do realize that the mount you have on the MavMount does not extend enough for the Pro. You will need to get a larger solution for it fit :)

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
Great that you got one although you do realize that the mount you have on the MavMount does not extend enough for the Pro. You will need to get a larger solution for it fit :)

Yes, I do and at the time when I checked out from MavMount it prompted me to get the larger mount and I said no. Clearly a bad idea, and over this past weekend I did order the new larger mount and it's in transit to me.

My Mavic is due tomorrow so I most likely will not be able to use the new iPad on it's initial flight tomorrow and the MavMount will come into play later in the week. At least keeping fingers crossed! Thanks for pointing that out!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: chippie
ipad mini 4 cellular 16GB is $315 on Amazon. Would 16GB sufficient if used as dedicated screen just for the MP?

16gb is plenty if you plan to use it solely for your Mavic.

Sorry I was only trying to help. I thought you were trying to save money. 315.00 instead of 700.00 for a new one. I got mine refurbished.

Sorry I was only trying to help. I thought you were trying to save money. 315.00 instead of 700.00 for a new one. I got mine refurbished.
Refurbished is fine but I can't find a $315 refurbished wifi+cellular mini 4 on Amazon either, I wasn't complaining, I just wanted a link!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan