DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini

I have used GoPro 4 on my iPhone 5 with no problems. But many have written here that an iPad Mini 2 works fine, and I have one doing nothing... so I decided to make it my dedicated flight companion. It has the latest software. But I can not run GoPro 4 according to the App Store when Italy to download. Am I stuck with GoPro 3 if I use my Mini 2 iPad?? I want to use the newest version, partially because I upgraded my firmware for the Mavic using my iPhone and GoPro 4. Help.... and thanks.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Jabreu and rcheli9
I have a 32GB WiFi iPad Mini 2 as a dedicated controller for my P4P. Added an inexpensive anti-glare protector to the screen and it works OK with a sunshield. Brightness is just OK. I got this for about $200 on Black Friday and figured it would hold me until the rumored new iPad Mini comes out in 2017, whereupon the current iPad Mini2 will be re-purposed.

I have used GoPro 4 on my iPhone 5 with no problems. But many have written here that an iPad Mini 2 works fine, and I have one doing nothing... so I decided to make it my dedicated flight companion. It has the latest software. But I can not run GoPro 4 according to the App Store when Italy to download. Am I stuck with GoPro 3 if I use my Mini 2 iPad?? I want to use the newest version, partially because I upgraded my firmware for the Mavic using my iPhone and GoPro 4. Help.... and thanks.

I assume you mean DJI Go 4, not GoPro 4. Have you actually tried running it on the Mini 2? I run Go 4 on it without any issues whatsoever.

I assume you mean DJI Go 4, not GoPro 4. Have you actually tried running it on the Mini 2? I run Go 4 on it without any issues whatsoever.

Thank you for your correction of my mistake. My problem is that the Apple App Store prohibits my download. Any ideas? Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate it. Jim, in central Vermont

I've tried our Mini 2 cellular with the Mavic but it doesn't keep up with the video. End up with lag and horizontal pixelated lines making for a very stressful flight.
My assumption was my mini 2 didn't have the processing power to keep up.
Maybe there is a way of speeding it up? Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Have you enabled the hardware video decoder in DJI Go general options?

Thanks for the above suggestions.
Thought I'd restore iPad and start as new to clear memory (and all my wife's movies etc). All good till I get a message from App Store saying DJI go 4 is incompatible with Ipad and cannot be loaded!
The old DJI go loaded OK.
Anyone else had this issue?
Funny thing, DJI go 4 appeared in the "Ipad only" search.

Last edited:
I use an iPad mini 4 with the controller. Fits very well and I have not had any glare problems or any other issues.

I could be wrong but when I was in the store to check out the ipad mini tablet I took my mavic rc with me to test fit. Mini 2 fitted into rc arms ok but I could not get the mini 4 to fit without the fear of breaking the arms. As I said, maybe I just did not try hard enough.

I have the same issue, my mini 4 will not fit in the controller... I think there must be more than one design of the controller as it's only a few mm out but cannot fit. I bought a bracket of eBay that seems to work well and be well balanced.

Not unless you use your phone as a mobile hotpspot then link the iPad to via WIFI
A little clarification if you would. I will be using an iPAD Mini 2 (Wi-Fi) only as the platform for the DJI GO 4 app. I do not want to lose the Follow Me or the ability to update e new RTH position. I will be flying in a remote location with zero cellular coverage. My plan is to cache the Google Map for the area I will be flying at. At the point I am ready to fly I will enable my phone as a Wi-Fi Hot Spot as it has a GPS receiver. My question is will the DJI GO 4 app be able to get it's current position from the phone serving as the Hot Spot. So if I move my position I can tell the Mavic it's new RTH position.

My question is will the DJI GO 4 app be able to get it's current position from the phone serving as the Hot Spot.
No. You'll need to use a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver or connect an external GPS receiver to your Wi-Fi only mobile device.

A little clarification if you would. I will be using an iPAD Mini 2 (Wi-Fi) only as the platform for the DJI GO 4 app. I do not want to lose the Follow Me or the ability to update e new RTH position. I will be flying in a remote location with zero cellular coverage. My plan is to cache the Google Map for the area I will be flying at. At the point I am ready to fly I will enable my phone as a Wi-Fi Hot Spot as it has a GPS receiver. My question is will the DJI GO 4 app be able to get it's current position from the phone serving as the Hot Spot. So if I move my position I can tell the Mavic it's new RTH position.
Will not work

No. You'll need to use a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver or connect an external GPS receiver to your Wi-Fi only mobile device.
I appreciate your attempts to answer my question about this, but either I don't know how to ask the question or you are missing something. The phone is in Hot Spot mode. It is the external GPS receiver. All of the external GPS I can find connect via the lighting port. That port is going to be a little busy talking to the the RC Controller. If you know of an external GPS receiver that talks via Wi-FI or Bluetooth, please point me to it. Others on here have indicated that a mobile phone in Hot Spot mode can serve as the external GPS receiver. I don't need to hear I need to connect an external GPS receiver. I know that. My question is can the phone serve as that receiver.

Reactions: Medic31525
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N