DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Models And Which Is Best

MrMavic

Reactions
I have the 10" iPa and it works great for flying, but I don't like the clumsy adapter I have to pack in my case to fit it to the controller. Also, I don't like the necessity of having to pre-load map data for where I want to fly. I want to get the iPad Mini4, but not sure about Wifi Model or the Wifi/Cell Model.
If I get the Cellular model, would it pull up the maps OK without getting it activated with cell service, or would it have to have cell service activated. I don't want to pay monthly cell service just to fly my Mavic. Your thoughts.....

I have the 10" iPa and it works great for flying, but I don't like the clumsy adapter I have to pack in my case to fit it to the controller. Also, I don't like the necessity of having to pre-load map data for where I want to fly. I want to get the iPad Mini4, but not sure about Wifi Model or the Wifi/Cell Model.
If I get the Cellular model, would it pull up the maps OK without getting it activated with cell service, or would it have to have cell service activated. I don't want to pay monthly cell service just to fly my Mavic. Your thoughts.....
You do not have to pay for the cell service or get it activated, you just use the GPS chip.

You can find a complete list of compatible Apple devices here. While all of those models will work, the newest models are the best.

If I get the Cellular model, would it pull up the maps OK without getting it activated with cell service
The advantage of the cellular model is that you can download the maps in real-time as you're out flying if the cell service has been activated. If the cell service has not been acitvated, there is no advantage over the Wi-Fi only model for the maps. Without cell service, you'll need to cache the maps in a location where you have an Internet connection before you head out to fly like this.

The cellular models contain a GPS receiver. That means you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Those two features will work even if you don't activate the cell service. If you don't need to use those features, then you can save some money and get a Wi-Fi only Apple device.

Reactions: tjones and Gp™
the WiFi only model does NOT have a GPS chip.
While true, the GPS is only required for the two features I mentioned above.

You can find a complete list of compatible Apple devices here. While all of those models will work, the newest models are the best.

The advantage of the cellular model is that you can download the maps in real-time as you're out flying if the cell service has been activated. If the cell service has not been acitvated, there is no advantage over the Wi-Fi only model for the maps. Without cell service, you'll need to cache the maps in a location where you have an Internet connection before you head out to fly like this.

The cellular models contain a GPS receiver. That means you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Those two features will work even if you don't activate the cell service. If you don't need to use those features, then you can save some money and get a Wi-Fi only Apple device.
You do not have to pay for the cell service or get it activated, you just use the GPS chip.
But the GPS chip alone without cell service won't load maps without internet
Hmmmm, Msinger says you need cell service to download maps unless you're on internet wifi.

Hmmmm, Msinger says you need cell service to download maps unless you're on internet wifi.
That is correct, just use wifi and GPS chip and you do not need the cell service.

If you want use use the 'return to my location' instead of 'return to home', I believe the controller needs to be connected to a GPS enabled phone (or tablet) doesn't it?

Not for return to home. Home point is set when you take off by the Mavics GPS. Only need gps on the device if you want to change the home point mid flight or use the follow me as stated by Msinger.

If you go with the cell version but do not activate it you can have all the features by hotspotting it to your phone.

Not for return to home. Home point is set when you take off by the Mavics GPS. Only need gps on the device if you want to change the home point mid flight or use the follow me as stated by Msinger.

If you go with the cell version but do not activate it you can have all the features by hotspotting it to your phone.
Notice I did NOT say say return to home, I said return to my location (RTM). Much handier if the pilot is on the move like out on a boat where RTH would be bad, very bad... or riding or hiking... etc.

I said return to my location (RTM)
When using DJI GO, it's not possible to tell the Mavic to return to your location. The Mavic will always return to the last recorded home point. The best you can do is keep manually resetting the home point to your new location each time you move.

I have a WiFi only Ipad Mini and am rarely in a place I do not find an Xfinity hot spot to connect to. Part of Comcast cable TV/Internet service I have at home. I bet most other cable companies offer the same to their customers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78