DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is 512gb storage overkill for M4P?

InAz

Reactions
Debating on either getting a SanDisk Extreme 256gb or 512gb for my M4P. From everyone's experience, would the 512gb be a bit much? It'll be 1st drone (solely recreational) & will be doing some filming & photos. Nothing, huge, especially at 1st until I acclimate using the rc2 & flying.

Reactions: TexasEric
Debating on either getting a SanDisk Extreme 256gb or 512gb for my M4P. From everyone's experience, would the 512gb be a bit much? It'll be 1st drone (solely recreational) & will be doing some filming & photos. Nothing, huge, especially at 1st until I acclimate using the rc2 & flying.
I have 2 cards each of 256gb, 512gb, and 1T. Many of my smallest cards are retired because they are old cards. I bought those cards (64gb and smaller) when everyone told me they were too expensive, too much space, too risky, and too much for serious usage. Obviously when it's time to buy new cards, I also look at price and for sure, I've paid no more than the rest of everyone else for the larger cards. Do not overpay for a microSD card. For example:

Bottom line, if you don't have a card strategy, stick with the basics. If you don't know how to mitigate risk to your card and it's precious data, go with the basics. If you have no long term plans and you only care about what works for you today when the equipment you have now, buy the standard sizes. If you have no other cameras/drones to look out for, use the card that probably comes with your camera. If you care about $2 to $5 it takes to get a bigger, faster, better card, save the money and get what is readily available now.

It's BF/Holiday and Amazon and other retailers will have a blitz on microSD cards if the past is any indication. You can probably buy enough cards to last you for the next 5 to 10 years. Don't settle if you don't have to IMO.

Since you couldn't fill a 64 GB card in a flight, yes, 512 GB would be massively more than you need.
Bigger isn't automatically better.

The main risk with a big card is what will you lose if you lose the drone?
My view is that many 'just big enough' cards are a safer bet than one huge card that will store all your imagery.

Last edited:
I went with 128GB knowing that I won't fill it even using all three Fly More batteries.

Reactions: Anthony Ivory
Another thing to consider is how you record video. I always start video when I take off and I don't stop video until I land....for every flight. My entire flight is always recorded, I don't start and stop the video for any particular reason (there are exceptions). As a recreational flyer for an ordinary camera drone, to me piloting the drone is all about the video to capture and no so much as about the flight itself (i.e. I'm not as interested in the flying aspects). IMHO

Another thing to consider is how you record video. I always start video when I take off and I don't stop video until I land....for every flight. My entire flight is always recorded, I don't start and stop the video for any particular reason (there are exceptions). As a recreational flyer for an ordinary camera drone, to me piloting the drone is all about the video to capture and no so much as about the flight itself (i.e. I'm not as interested in the flying aspects). IMHO
So, I'll wait for some black friday deals to kick in & get a cple 256gb. Now, I want to se these on my Samsung 4k tv. Any ideas on which works best? I have 4 open usb ports? I've never done this & prefer to watch on tv vs my old computer.

The card's write speed is extremely important. If the card can't write data quickly enough, your video will stutter bady and won't be usable. Look for cards with at least a V30 rating.

Reactions: Reid937
I ordered these Amazon.com
I use a Samsung Evo plus 512GB in my phone
How do you like samsung sd? I have everything Samsung, pretty much.
Just pulled your link. Wow, samsung's cheap. The 256 gb is $14.99, the SanDisk i have in cart is $23

Last edited:
How do you like samsung sd? I have everything Samsung, pretty much.
Just pulled your link. Wow, samsung's cheap. The 256 gb is $14.99, the SanDisk i have in cart is $23
I'm a Samsung fan myself, all of their cards I've had success with. Unless there is a blowout price on SanDisk, I try to choose the Samsung equivalent. When I see the prices at only 10% to 20% off, I believe they have a little bit more room to run so I'm waiting for the 30% to 40% over the next 10 days.

I use a 512Gb in my Mavic 3 Classic and a 256Gb in my mini 3 and mini 4 pro. I'm aware of all the opinions on why different sizes are better and less risky etc. Each to their own. I never remove my cards and only format when space will be needed and that hasn't happened yet. I transfer all data wirelessly as needed so what I want to keep is stored elsewhere anyway. And I'm rewriting over old data on the card almost never. Less wear and tear on the memory.

• Love
Reactions: mavic3usa
I'm a Samsung fan myself, all of their cards I've had success with. Unless there is a blowout price on SanDisk, I try to choose the Samsung equivalent. When I see the prices at only 10% to 20% off, I believe they have a little bit more room to run so I'm waiting for the 30% to 40% over the next 10 days.
I'll wait. If i order drone now it'll be here Tuesday. I'll wait until after tgiving next week

I use a 512Gb in my Mavic 3 Classic and a 256Gb in my mini 3 and mini 4 pro. I'm aware of all the opinions on why different sizes are better and less risky etc. Each to their own. I never remove my cards and only format when space will be needed and that hasn't happened yet. I transfer all data wirelessly as needed so what I want to keep is stored elsewhere anyway. And I'm rewriting over old data on the card almost never. Less wear and tear on the memory.
Will need to figure that one out. You have rc2?

Will need to figure that one out. You have rc2?
For the record, I do believe any microSD card for remote controllers and goggles will work fine, especially for low res stuff. In fact, I have demoted all of my older smaller (128gb and less) cards to remotes and goggles duty which works fine because they are used only occasionally.

Personally I use multiple smaller cards rather than 1 large one. The reason is this is a common practice with digital photographers. If you spread your flights out on multiple cards, and 1 card goes bad, you won't lose all of your videos, just the ones in that card.

However, on my GoPro 11, I use a 1 TB card when on my motorcycle, because I need the extended space to take longer videos on rides and rallies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab