DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best SD Cards for Mavic 3 Pro and RC Pro controller

Kilboar

Reactions
I'm a hobbyist so I'll go through phases of flying a lot and then not flying for months. Point being I'd like to have enough space on the SD cards that I'll not run out of space if I forget to clear the card after a few trips.

I understand the SD card for the controller is just for videoing the screen or taking picture of it, which I'm not sure I ever do but I'd like a card just in case so 128 or 256gb?

The Mavic 3 Pro I'd like to max out the SD card space which I guess is 512gb so get 2? I've read the 1T cards should work but their not listed on DJI approved list.

Thank you much

I reading your "body language" and I can pretty much tell you won't be needing multiple microSD cards probably not even 512gb. You can miss a entire week of flying and likely suffice with a single 256gb card. Don't waste your money on an overpriced 1T card.

I reading your "body language" and I can pretty much tell you won't be needing multiple microSD cards probably not even 512gb. You can miss a entire week of flying and likely suffice with a single 256gb card. Don't waste your money on an overpriced 1T card.
😂. Appreciate it.

I guess my concern is going on a three week vacation without my computer and just loading up footage without ever thinking I may run out of space. And then get to some great spots I really want to video and find out I’m out of bullets.

😂. Appreciate it.

I guess my concern is going on a three week vacation without my computer and just loading up footage without ever thinking I may run out of space. And then get to some great spots I really want to video and find out I’m out of bullets.
In that case, the more cards the better so you won't lose alot in case they fail. (5) 128gb along with your main 256gb should suffice (if we are talking drone only) and these cards are so cheap, wouldn't pay more than @ $15.

I have a 512 in my Classic and a 256 in my RC-PRO. 2 reasons:
1. More than enough space for anything you need for either device.
2. If you only format once its full, you are only writing to each bit once until its full thus it will be reliable much longer.
However there are valid arguments to use many smaller size cards to ensure your data is always safe.

What does ChatGPT say?

Q: How many times can you format a microSD card?
A: The number of times you can format a microSD card depends on various factors, including the quality of the card and how it is used.

MicroSD cards typically have a finite number of write cycles before they may start to degrade or fail. The exact number of write cycles can vary between different models and manufacturers.

Most microSD cards are rated for at least 10,000 to 100,000 write cycles. This means that you can typically format and rewrite data to the card tens of thousands of times before you might start experiencing issues. However, it's important to note that this is an approximate number, and the actual lifespan of a microSD card can be influenced by factors such as the quality of the card, the usage patterns, and the conditions in which it is used.

It's worth mentioning that regular formatting of a microSD card, without excessive write operations, should not significantly impact its lifespan. It's the frequent and continuous write operations that can contribute to wear and tear on the card over time.

To maximize the lifespan of your microSD card, it is advisable to avoid unnecessary formatting and to follow best practices for handling and using the card, such as avoiding abrupt removals, protecting it from physical damage, and using it within the recommended temperature ranges.

😂. Appreciate it.

How many eggs do you want to trust in one basket?

2. If you only format once its full, you are only writing to each bit once until its full thus it will be reliable much longer.
However there are valid arguments to use many smaller size cards to ensure your data is always safe.
For sure I try to keep it to 1 microSD card per drone and every drone has it's own microSD card which means you can have a dozen or more cards. Some drones hardly get flown, others more often but no one is flown daily so that really cuts down on overall microSD card activity as well.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and Kilboar
In that case, the more cards the better so you won't lose alot in case they fail. (5) 128gb along with your main 256gb should suffice (if we are talking drone only) and these cards are so cheap, wouldn't pay more than @ $15.
Gotcha, that may be the ticket.

What about the RC controller? What size?

Just realized I didn’t post this reply this morning

I’m thinking this. My concern is if and when I fill up a card. Where will my back up card be.

In the US it’s near by but on vacations???

Gotcha, that may be the ticket.

What about the RC controller? What size?

Just realized I didn’t post this reply this morning
I do not believe the videos from the RC are large files (medium or low resolution only) so 64gb is probably the smaller (free) card they still make? And that's if you plan to record on them.

Reactions: Kilboar
What does ChatGPT say?
What would ChatGPT know?
Why use that as a source for anything, particularly when it gives you contradictory advice?

Formatting doesn't wear out the whole card at all.
Reformatting just writes over the index at the beginning of the card that tells the camera and your computer where the files are. It doesn't actually write the entire card.
Most flash memory these days is speced at having a life of between 10,000 and 100,000 writes. Nowdays cards use wear leveling to spread the writes evenly across the cells so you don't wear out some of the card faster.

You can safely reformat each day for many years without any worry.

I'm a hobbyist so I'll go through phases of flying a lot and then not flying for months. Point being I'd like to have enough space on the SD cards that I'll not run out of space if I forget to clear the card after a few trips.

1. I understand the SD card for the controller is just for videoing the screen or taking picture of it, which I'm not sure I ever do but I'd like a card just in case so 128 or 256gb?

2. The Mavic 3 Pro I'd like to max out the SD card space which I guess is 512gb so get 2? I've read the 1T cards should work but their not listed on DJI approved list.

Thank you much
Two very different questions with two different answers.

1. Inside the RC, you may want to use the largest card size supported for expansion of the limited internal storage. It's a 512GB SanDisk Extreme V30 A2 microSDXC, currently $45 on Amazon.

2. Inside the drone, you should be swapping cards every time you change batteries, so you want many small cards of 32GB or 64GB each, with a card wallet to store them in, that you guard carefully. Storing more than one flight on a card inside the drone is not advised, unless you don't care about your recordings, in which case it doesn’t matter what you do!

Last edited:
What would ChatGPT know?
Why use that as a source for anything, particularly when it gives you contradictory advice?
I don't ask ChatGPT often but sometimes I do. Just trying it out to see what it says.

I’m thinking this. My concern is if and when I fill up a card. Where will my back up card be.

In the US it’s near by but on vacations???
My answer to that is exactly what I always do after a flight, I enter quick transfer mode and copy all data from the aircraft onto my Tablet. Then its backed up and also still on the SD card in the aircraft. The only thing I would ever lose is (besides my aircraft, which I do not foresee happening) the data from the last flight, which is true for everyone.

My answer to that is exactly what I always do after a flight, I enter quick transfer mode and copy all data from the aircraft onto my Tablet. Then its backed up and also still on the SD card in the aircraft. The only thing I would ever lose is (besides my aircraft, which I do not foresee happening) the data from the last flight, which is true for everyone.
That works, too!

I have a 1tb card that is my primary and a couple of 512gb cards for backup. Definitely more than I need, as I generally download to my backup system after every flight, but having a bigger card means that I can do a back up and just leave the files on for a while just in case something goes wrong. Then once the card gets full I can re-format and know that everything there is backed up. I use either SanDisk or Samsung v30 cards, which are on sale pretty often on Amazon. A 1tb card is a bit spendy (relatively), but 256gb cards are so cheap there's no reason not to just order a handful to keep in your camera bag.

I don't understand the people who will spend $2k+ on a top-of-the-line drone and then penny pinch on $25 memory cards.

I don't understand the people who will spend $2k+ on a top-of-the-line drone and then penny pinch on $25 memory cards.
If one changes cards every time one swaps batteries, instead of spending valuable time in the field downloading in between every flight, "penny pinching" $25 memory cards are all anyone ever needs. Frankly, even $14 SanDisk's 128GB Extreme cards are already overkill. Just order a bunch! They'll be here just after the fireworks on the 4th!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair