DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth Refresh?

Michael Ainsworth

Reactions
After reading all the horror stories relating to the DJi Refresh, is it really worth the angst with waiting 4 weeks plus, would it be better to just ante up and pay a local repairer. I know we are talking substantial dollars here but from what I read the stress caused through the delays do not seem to compensate for money saved.
Stop taking out Refresh from DJI ?
Any thoughts.

I bought it now that it covers water damage... IF your homeowners will cover it great... but what's the deductible?... if it zero or only like $100 maybe worth it..

On repair turn around you will ALWAYS hear the bad.... and rarely the good. I've had two repairs over the last couple years and both came back within two weeks... and that was regular warranty, not refresh.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
I say definitely get Refresh. I have State Farm too, - zero deductible. But if I make a claim it will be on my insurance record as a claim (like a fire loss or auto accident) and possibly affect my rates, especially if I decide to change insurance companies someday.

From what I've heard, if you make 1 claim within the first year, State Farm will probably cancel the policy immediately anyway after paying your claim. I'm using State Farm as a last/backup resort, or for after my DJI Refresh expires.

A 4-5 week turnaround time from DJI Refresh IS crappy, but it's better than a $500 repair to the gimbal.

There are several long threads already about this topic on this forum - do a search.

SEARCH forums.... There is already several threads going on about refresh and state Farm.

Refresh is fine; as long as you can produce the corpse. Mine disappeared underwater without trace, so was not covered.
I now have State Farm too.

After reading all the horror stories relating to the DJi Refresh, is it really worth the angst with waiting 4 weeks plus, would it be better to just ante up and pay a local repairer. I know we are talking substantial dollars here but from what I read the stress caused through the delays do not seem to compensate for money saved.
Stop taking out Refresh from DJI ?
Any thoughts.

I've put it on both my drones. MP, P4P. Haven't had to "exercise it". But then it's literally insurance and not meant to be exercised.

Local repairer? Depends on the extent of the damage.

As to delays. Yep. 42 days for a warranty repair. That came back just as bad. Going back as soon as they send me the shipping label.

Reactions: geigy
I use the GetterBack too. Several concerns with it that leave me wondering whether it is worth it where I fly.
  • It could come loose and interfere with the propellers, causing a crash. So put it on a back strut which has more clearance, and cinch up on the velcro.
  • It will only deploy in 10 feet or more of water, and I do a lot of flying over salt mudflats where the water is only a few feet deep, and the mud is hip deep or better.
  • If it deploys, can I round up a boat and go get it? Probably not!

I use the GetterBack too. Several concerns with it that leave me wondering whether it is worth it where I fly.
  • It could come loose and interfere with the propellers, causing a crash. So put it on a back strut which has more clearance, and cinch up on the velcro.
  • It will only deploy in 10 feet or more of water, and I do a lot of flying over salt mudflats where the water is only a few feet deep, and the mud is hip deep or better.
  • If it deploys, can I round up a boat and go get it? Probably not!

Actually it's 10 feet or less :) with 100 foot line so shallow water should not be a problem. I believe it is water activated, not depth activated...

I too use Velcro, but add a full wrap velcro strap around the rear arm.

Anyway, for awhat it cost even a chance of getting it back is good... of course you could do the whole float thing (pontoons)

I sell and repair a good number of drones. I recommend having both Refresh and drone damage insurance as well as AMA (in the USA) liability insurance. I tell my customers to bring it to me for repair if the damage is less than $100, send it in for Refresh if the damage is over $100 but recoverable and wait the 4 weeks for a refurbed replacement bird, and use drone damage insurance for flyaways and other non-recoverable scenarios.

As TrayBoz said, if you use drone insurance more then twice a year, you might get cancelled, so best keep it as a backup for catastrophic cases, or after Refresh expires.

DJI would be smart to offer a renewal on Refresh, or a 2 or 3 year option, for those people who dont want to have to trade their drone in every year just because Refresh expired and they cant get other drone damage insurance. Most big box stores offers extended warranty and accident insurance on electronics, but not DJI direct. Maybe they want you to buy a new drone every year.

Not to mention you may suffer increased premiums to your home owners insurance and the possible cancellation of your home owner's policy if you make too many claims...

I bought it now that it covers water damage... IF your homeowners will cover it great... but what's the deductible?... if it zero or only like $100 maybe worth it..

On repair turn around you will ALWAYS hear the bad.... and rarely the good. I've had two repairs over the last couple years and both came back within two weeks... and that was regular warranty, not refresh.

I sell and repair a good number of drones. I recommend having both Refresh and drone damage insurance as well as AMA (in the USA) liability insurance. I tell my customers to bring it to me for repair if the damage is less than $100, send it in for Refresh if the damage is over $100 but recoverable and wait the 4 weeks for a refurbed replacement bird, and use drone damage insurance for flyaways and other non-recoverable scenarios.

As TrayBoz said, if you use drone insurance more then twice a year, you might get cancelled, so best keep it as a backup for catastrophic cases, or after Refresh expires.

DJI would be smart to offer a renewal on Refresh, or a 2 or 3 year option, for those people who dont want to have to trade their drone in every year just because Refresh expired and they cant get other drone damage insurance. Most big box stores offers extended warranty and accident insurance on electronics, but not DJI direct. Maybe they want you to buy a new drone every year.

What is AMA insurance? Thanks

What is AMA insurance? Thanks

Good question. Here is some more info on what AMA is and does. Its cheap liability insurance for the drone community, and being a member gives you access to alot of information and tips about radio control flying. It will also let you fly (field permitting) at some RC flying fields that require it prior to taking off. As a drone owner, you arent required to have it, but it will sure help you if you need it.

Academy of Model Aeronautics - Programs & Benefits

Reactions: MavicGurl

Will DJI care refresh still cover a drone that has been repaired by someone outside of DJI?

Will DJI care refresh still cover a drone that has been repaired by someone outside of DJI?

Yes there are many authorized repair facilities outside of DJI that can turn your drone around very quickly. If your drone has been repaired by a non-authorized facility, and you have a crash, you can always use a drone insurance to cover your loss. Thats why I recommend having DJI Refresh, State Farm (or other drone insurance), and AMA liability.

Reactions: jarred125
Yes there are many authorized repair facilities outside of DJI that can turn your drone around very quickly. If your drone has been repaired by a non-authorized facility, and you have a crash, you can always use a drone insurance to cover your loss. Thats why I recommend having DJI Refresh, State Farm (or other dreon insurance), and AMA liability.

Gotcha. A little too late for me as I tore mine down already (I like to repair) but good to know for the future. I have state farm coverage (the irony of that being I crashed on the same day my policy went live), but at $55 for the part it seemed better to just repair. :)

Gotcha. A little too late for me as I tore mine down already (I like to repair) but good to know for the future. I have state farm coverage (the irony of that being I crashed on the same day my policy went live), but at $55 for the part it seemed better to just repair. :)

For $55 it probably wouldnt have been worth sending it in for a Refresh or a State Farm claim, anyway. Since you have the experience to fix it yourself, you save yourself alot of money and time. If you dont have Refresh, and you can prove that the aircraft is flying and 100% functional and can pass the DJI tests, you can still buy Refresh. However, if you crash it again, and send it in, they might claim that the crash was due to your self-repair, so you would be taking your chances. Best fallback is State Farm for a major crash.

So I didn't opt for DJI refresh and put my MP into a tree while trying out waypoints mode. It fell about 25' to the ground and broke a shoulder joint (yeah, I know that's not what it's really called). I sent it in to DJI Cerrito. They charged me $245 to repair and then sent me a new unit. While the unit was in transit, I asked about buying DJI refresh. I was told I would have to wait until I received the unit, shoot the video, submit to DJI and wait for approval before I could fly with coverage. I just looked at the DJI video on what my Refresh video should look like. That's a lot of recording to do with my iPhone. Think I'll go get the State Farm, which they say covers everything but liability and mechanical failure, and go to one of you folks that does MP repairs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan