DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is P4P better at panning?

Bestcoast127

Reactions
Been flying and trying for about 3 days to get a decent butter smooth pan with my Mavic. Don't have ND filters so have been shooting outside in shadows and in a well lit room. Tried every format with 1 / double the FPS. Tried bumping the FPS up and down from the ideal FPS. I have a fast XC SD card. I can only get butter smooth pans with a rotational speed of approx. 2-3 degrees per second. Or for a full 360 degrees shot it takes about 120-180 seconds or 2-2.5 minutes. Thats way too slow for even an interior shot. Is the P4P better at panning than the Mavic?

I'm relatively new to videography but understand photography well. I have watched maybe 50 videos on getting smooth pans with the Mavic and tried every setting possible. What is the limiting factor for the Mavic? The sensor? The processing chip? And is the P4P just better at professional cinematic shots/pans? Or am i just expecting too much from a 2017 drone?

Thanks for the help!

It's mostly limitations of the frame rate, and somewhat the codec. It annoys the crap out of me that they advertise the Mavic with 1080p96 but we basically can't shoot any mode over 30fps. Shoot 1080p60 and then try your test. I bet it looks smooth, but the footage is garbage mush. The P4P would be leaps and bounds better with the higher frame rate (and higher bitrate).

Reactions: Bestcoast127
That's what I'm thinking... but then does the P4P actually shoot good 4K 60FPS or do I have to pan as slow as the Mavic to get good shots?

I just tried some late afternoon cloudy 360 degree pans of my town at 400' above me using 2.7K 30FPS format with a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second (nice picture and not blown out) and I had to slow the rotation down to about 4-5 minutes for 1 complete rotation. I've read numerous times this is the sweet spot for the Mavic but I STILL got jerky video. Vertical lines like walls are basically blinking! Seems so limiting that we are forced to take shots with so little yaw movement. I guess I'll hit up the Phantom / Inspire forums and see what they say...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore