DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this how the car charger is supposed to work?

Marc Hufnagel

Reactions
I took my quad on a little road trip yesterday and used the car charger for the first time on the way back.

I plugged it into a 12v in my console (16' Infiniti Q50S) and it started charging - all was good. After maybe 20 minutes I noticed it would stop charging for a couple of minutes then resume and did this repeatedly until it actually was charged.

This obviously was quite different from the home charger - total time from about 40 percent was somewhere around an hour.

I would think it would charge continously until full? I will be trying it in another vehicle today but those that have used the charger is this how it works? Seems like it could chrge faster if it wasn't stopping every fe minutes.

The litttle green light was 'on' on the little brick whe it would stop.

I took my quad on a little road trip yesterday and used the car charger for the first time on the way back.

I plugged it into a 12v in my console (16' Infiniti Q50S) and it started charging - all was good. After maybe 20 minutes I noticed it would stop charging for a couple of minutes then resume and did this repeatedly until it actually was charged.

This obviously was quite different from the home charger - total time from about 40 percent was somewhere around an hour.

I would think it would charge continously until full? I will be trying it in another vehicle today but those that have used the charger is this how it works? Seems like it could chrge faster if it wasn't stopping every fe minutes.

The litttle green light was 'on' on the little brick whe it would stop.

Quick question, and I have a hunch that this might be the reason, but does the car that you drive in have an auto engine stop function? I drive an Audi and it has that auto stop function whenever i'm at the lights, so i'm pretty sure this is what you have experienced...

Quick question, and I have a hunch that this might be the reason, but does the car that you drive in have an auto engine stop function? I drive an Audi and it has that auto stop function whenever i'm at the lights, so i'm pretty sure this is what you have experienced...

deactivated. Can't stand that feature. The stopping and starting of charging was when I was headed down the interstate..

I have not had this issue with mine. Be sure that it isn't resetting due to over heating. Perhaps place the charger near one of the vents. I have seen some post, that the car charger will charge faster than the home charger. I haven't really noticed any difference really.

Someone else reported it turning off every time voltage dropped.. any correlation between it turning off when you were idling and turning back on when you were driving or something like that? Sometimes some cars voltage drops at idle.. not saying it should, but it happens, sometimes.

Someone else reported it turning off every time voltage dropped.. any correlation between it turning off when you were idling and turning back on when you were driving or something like that? Sometimes some cars voltage drops at idle.. not saying it should, but it happens, sometimes.
No actually going down the interstate at 75 mph !

I have not had this issue with mine. Be sure that it isn't resetting due to over heating. Perhaps place the charger near one of the vents. I have seen some post, that the car charger will charge faster than the home charger. I haven't really noticed any difference really.

I understand it the car charger is 75 W in the home charger is 50. I could be wrong house

This car charger performs very poorly in my truck as well. It takes forever, even while driving and the truck is putting out 14 volts. It cycles on and off and after an hour, it only charged form 30% to about 80%. I'm going to test it using a high end 13.8 volt power supply and see if it's the charger

DJI is telling me the car has to be running. Haven't tried that yet, but that's a ridiculous requirement.

DJI is telling me the car has to be running. Haven't tried that yet, but that's a ridiculous requirement.

How new/old is your vehicle? I ask because newer ones pack so many electronics that if they are mostly in use it's a job for an alternator just to keep a good charge these days.

How new/old is your vehicle? I ask because newer ones pack so many electronics that if they are mostly in use it's a job for an alternator just to keep a good charge these days.
2014. But a 12v car battery should be able to charge a small Mavic battery without the alternator running. The Mavic charger has built in circuity to protect against a low voltage source (the car battery) that turns off the Mavic car charger when the voltage from the car it is charging from drops below a certain level.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+