DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this just sun reflection?

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've not seen this before. The reflection on the ground happened with both my Mav 3 and Mini 3 so I am guessing it's and effect caused by clouds that focused the sun or some such thing. My Mav had an ND filter on it. My Mini did not. "
" title="sun reflection?"

Reactions: Mike107 and Rchawks
That is very odd. It does seem to foloow the horizontal motion of the drone. It must be the Sun "projecting" through a high cloud is my guess.

Reactions: MA2 317
@akdrone its when the sun is behind the drone and is light reflected off the ground
it has various names see below
opposition surge
hot spot
glory
and Heiligenschein

Do a search for glory on the forum. I posted a shot of one that formed on some morning fog that had a circular rainbow around them and someone else had posted something similar

They often have a shadow image of the aircraft or other object that causes them. I've seen them on clouds below while looking out the window on commercial flights.

This fellow has some very nice photos of glories and a little background information.

I've not seen this before. The reflection on the ground happened with both my Mav 3 and Mini 3 so I am guessing it's and effect caused by clouds that focused the sun or some such thing. My Mav had an ND filter on it. My Mini did not. "

Thanks for sharing the phenonium and the explanation from the previous posts.

Moved to correct section.

Reactions: GFields
Yes, I see this all the time. Early morning, sun behind, grass, trees, bushes, vapor ... all perfect recipe for it.

I've seen the same thing from my Mavic 2 Pro. I was thinking it represents reflection of the sun off of the drone's camera lens. The reason I say this is that as I recall, in all cases the sun was quartering in from the side distinct from the nose-tail orientation of the drone and the "bright spot" on the ground seemed to mimic the drone's movement (e.g. slow horizontal pan, slow gimbal tilt, etc.). In my opinion, when it happens it makes that clip less appealing because the viewers eye is being distracted by that infernal bright spot on the ground!

Given the circumstances it occurs in (sun behind only), I've always assumed it is reflection of the wet surface, grass or foliage.

I get them often.
I have a few clips I like where my Mini 3Pro ‘s shadow is in the center of it.

I’m glad you brought it up.
Now I don’t have to call them Grounded Sun Dogs anymore. Thanks OMM et al.!

Reactions: old man mavic
I've seen them even in Network "professional footage. Most every camera drone has that spot at certain angles to the sun. Just a "necessary" evil of drone lens design.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa