DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's ALIVE! Darth Iratus Takes to the Air!

Chaosrider

Reactions
The Little White Angel on my right shoulder is hanging her head in sorrow. The Little Red Devil on my left shoulder has an enormous stuff-eating grin, and is dancing a little jig.

I ordered my FPV today. I'll have it in a couple of days!

In the end, I just had to accept the fact that the promise of immersive FPV is exactly the kind of flying that I want to do. Do what you love and the money will follow? I sure hope so!

And this one already has a name:

Iratus

The "pose" that you normally see in DJI FPV pics reminded me instantly of the Iratus Bug in Stargate Atlantis:

I will, of course, be using the proper Scottish pronunciation, as expressed by Dr Carson Beckett. I'm not a majority anything genealogically, but I'm more Scottish than anything else, about 35%.

"O brave new world, that has such creatures in it!"

Time for a new adventure!

1650806092152.png

MM-FPV!

Last edited:
Ohhh boy, you're gonna have a blast. Normal/Sport mode are easy and just like the Mavics, but Manual mode is where the real fun begins. ;)

I'm looking forward to reading about what it's like to ride that thing. Good luck with it!
Thanks! I'll definitely document the learning process.

I've been flying drones for almost exactly a year now (anniversary 30 Apr 22), so it's time again!

:cool:

MM-FPV!

Reactions: RH009
Thanks! I'll definitely document the learning process.

I've been flying drones for almost exactly a year now (anniversary 30 Apr 22), so it's time again!

MM-FPV!
I look forward to your adventure updates! I took my first Manual flight on March 28th and then first attitude unlocked flight on April 9th. I spent many, many, many hours in LiftOff and DRL, using those as sims to prepare myself, before unlocking the attitude restriction. I've had a few flights since my initial April 9th flight, but due to weather, not as many as I'd have liked. Below is a video of my first flight with all restrictions off. :)

I look forward to your adventure updates! I took my first Manual flight on March 28th and then first attitude unlocked flight on April 9th. I spent many, many, many hours in LiftOff and DRL, using those as sims to prepare myself, before unlocking the attitude restriction. I've had a few flights since my initial April 9th flight, but due to weather, not as many as I'd have liked. Below is a video of my first flight with all restrictions off. :)

What a great vid! And you have a great place to do acro too, wide open spaces. When I eventually get to acro...which won't be soon...I'll need to start from a higher elevation. But when I very eventually get good at it, I should be able to get some incredible footage deeper in the canyon.

But now that I've actually got the beast coming, the questions are growing exponentially in my head! I've already read the manual, and I will again before I fly it. But for now...

Are Liftoff and DRL simulators? Or? Is there a simulator that comes with it?

Your comment suggests that there are two "sub-modes" to Manual, basic, and attitude unlocked. Is that right?

I'm thinking about doing my first couple of flights without the goggles. Not far, not high, not fast, just to convince myself that, at least in "Timid" mode, the control feel is the same as my Minis. Good idea, not necessary, or...?

Thx!

MM-FPV!

What a great vid! And you have a great place to do acro too, wide open spaces. When I eventually get to acro...which won't be soon...I'll need to start from a higher elevation. But when I very eventually get good at it, I should be able to get some incredible footage deeper in the canyon.
Yeah, I can only imagine that it'll look incredible in your area! I'm looking forward to the weather improving and going hiking in the mountains with Maverick (my FPV)

But now that I've actually got the beast coming, the questions are growing exponentially in my head! I've already read the manual, and I will again before I fly it. But for now...

Are Liftoff and DRL simulators? Or? Is there a simulator that comes with it?
Both are simulators that you can run on your PC. Liftoff is available on Steam and DRL is a download from their website (Both have a cost, but it's not much). I like them both for different reasons and you can use your FPV RC to fly in the sim's, connected to your PC with a USB cable. Can't connect the goggles, you just use your PC Monitor. There is a sim that you can download (for iOS only, not available on Android) and then you can connect your goggles to the iOS device and use the simulator through the goggles with your RC. It's very basic but gives you some good training exercises to do and will also teach you how to fly manual. Won't work on the newest iOS version (15.xx??).

Your comment suggests that there are two "sub-modes" to Manual, basic, and attitude unlocked. Is that right?
Yes, manual is locked by default, switching to it on the RC won't do anything. You have to unlock manual mode in the settings, which will then give you the ability to fly manually, but it'll be attitude restricted, so you can't go past a preset degree when rolling or pitching. In order to do the loops or rolls, you have to turn off the attitude restrictions in the settings, which then allows you to roll and loop.

I'm thinking about doing my first couple of flights without the goggles. Not far, not high, not fast, just to convince myself that, at least in "Timid" mode, the control feel is the same as my Minis. Good idea, not necessary, or...?

Thx!

MM-FPV!
I never did, but I also started very slowly. First flew with all restrictions enabled, flying only in Normal/Sport mode to get comfortable with the FPV view. Then switched to Manual (took off in Normal, switched to Manual after takeoff and took goggles off to land) and flew that multiple times, to get comfortable with the controls, then removed the final restriction. Now I take off in Manual mode, but I always land in Normal mode with my goggles off, so I can see my landing pad. Aside from landing, I've never flown it with the goggles off.

It's a whole lot of fun and different than your typical Mavic. A lot of folks have complained about motion sickness, but I never had any of that, but then again, I've been gaming on an Oculus Quest 2 for over a couple years and am used to goggles on my face and a screen in front of my eyes.

Yeah, I can only imagine that it'll look incredible in your area! I'm looking forward to the weather improving and going hiking in the mountains with Maverick (my FPV)

Both are simulators that you can run on your PC. Liftoff is available on Steam and DRL is a download from their website (Both have a cost, but it's not much). I like them both for different reasons and you can use your FPV RC to fly in the sim's, connected to your PC with a USB cable. Can't connect the goggles, you just use your PC Monitor. There is a sim that you can download (for iOS only, not available on Android) and then you can connect your goggles to the iOS device and use the simulator through the goggles with your RC. It's very basic but gives you some good training exercises to do and will also teach you how to fly manual. Won't work on the newest iOS version (15.xx??).

Yes, manual is locked by default, switching to it on the RC won't do anything. You have to unlock manual mode in the settings, which will then give you the ability to fly manually, but it'll be attitude restricted, so you can't go past a preset degree when rolling or pitching. In order to do the loops or rolls, you have to turn off the attitude restrictions in the settings, which then allows you to roll and loop.

I never did, but I also started very slowly. First flew with all restrictions enabled, flying only in Normal/Sport mode to get comfortable with the FPV view. Then switched to Manual (took off in Normal, switched to Manual after takeoff and took goggles off to land) and flew that multiple times, to get comfortable with the controls, then removed the final restriction. Now I take off in Manual mode, but I always land in Normal mode with my goggles off, so I can see my landing pad. Aside from landing, I've never flown it with the goggles off.

It's a whole lot of fun and different than your typical Mavic. A lot of folks have complained about motion sickness, but I never had any of that, but then again, I've been gaming on an Oculus Quest 2 for over a couple years and am used to goggles on my face and a screen in front of my eyes.
When you're flying free style in manual with restrictions off and pushing it around aggressively, what's the noise level of the FPV like?

When you're flying free style in manual with restrictions off and pushing it around aggressively, what's the noise level of the FPV like?

It's loud, especially when going full throttle. Sounds like a banshee flying across the sky. It's not terrible when it's up high, but fly low and it's intimidatingly loud. I flew by at 87mph and about 50' AGL and it made my daughter jump out of her skin.

It's loud, especially when going full throttle. Sounds like a banshee flying across the sky. It's not terrible when it's up high, but fly low and it's intimidatingly loud. I flew by at 87mph and about 50' AGL and it made my daughter jump out of her skin.
Thanks for that info. I figured it'd be something like that but I wanted to hear it from somebody who's experienced it first-hand.

Reactions: RH009
Thanks for that info. I figured it'd be something like that but I wanted to hear it from somebody who's experienced it first-hand.

Welcome. Flying in Normal or Sport and it's really no louder than my MA2. Manual is different because you're constantly adjusting the throttle, especially when doing acro maneuvers.

There is a sim that you can download (for iOS only, not available on Android) and then you can connect your goggles
I'm strictly an Android guy. Is there a simulator that comes with the drone package? I guess I'll know in a couple of days!

Yes, manual is locked by default, switching to it on the RC won't do anything.
So I guess there are really four levels...Normal, Sport, Mini-Manual, and Full-Manual!
First flew with all restrictions enabled, flying only in Normal/Sport mode to get comfortable with the FPV view.
That's pretty much my plan too. I've set all of my Minis to display in FPV mode, so I'm pretty used to that now. I'm sure it won't be the same with the goggles...I'm counting on that!

A lot of folks have complained about motion sickness, but I never had any of that, but then again, I've been gaming on an Oculus Quest 2 for over a couple years and am used to goggles on my face and a screen in front of my eyes.
I've never done any gaming, but I've had aerobatic training in full sized airplanes, and I've always been good with unusual attitude recovery, so I should be fine.

Do the DJI goggles have any gaming applications?

Just two more days!

1650889324277.png

MM-FPV!

I'm strictly an Android guy. Is there a simulator that comes with the drone package? I guess I'll know in a couple of days!
There's not. Android is severely under supported by DJI. Even the Fly App on Android is missing features available on the iOS App (like being able to name your drones). I'm an Android user also and despise crApple, but my wife and kids have iPads, so I've loaded the app on one of my daughters so I could train on it and rename my drones with the Fly app on iOS.

So I guess there are really four levels...Normal, Sport, Mini-Manual, and Full-Manual!
Yup, exactly.

That's pretty much my plan too. I've set all of my Minis to display in FPV mode, so I'm pretty used to that now. I'm sure it won't be the same with the goggles...I'm counting on that!

I've never done any gaming, but I've had aerobatic training in full sized airplanes, and I've always been good with unusual attitude recovery, so I should be fine.

Do the DJI goggles have any gaming applications?
They don't. They will only connect with the DJI Flight Simulator App. But who knows, maybe someone will figure out a way to input video into them. *shrug*

Just two more days!

View attachment 147280

MM-FPV!
Looking forward to your updates, it's an entirely new experience. My MA2 is for photography, missions, and casual flying. The FPV is for actually being in the pilot seat and cruising the sky's, enjoying the views and getting the heartrate going. :)

A related question, does the drone record sound?

I've seen a number of FPV videos where I've heard changes in the engine sound based on power.

Or is that an illusion?

Thx,

MM-FPV!

A related question, does the drone record sound?

I've seen a number of FPV videos where I've heard changes in the engine sound based on power.

Or is that an illusion?

Thx,

MM-FPV!

Yes, it records sound. You can also hook up earphones/buds to the goggles and hear the motors, while you're flying. I fly with earbuds connected and have 1 in, just so I can hear the pitch of the motors, while I'm flying. You can also record to the drone and goggles, with the highest quality coming from the drone. I have an SD card in both and record to both, having the goggles record full view (props in the recording) and the drone record with the props removed.

This was my 1st manual flight and you can hear the recording from the drone. I still had attitude restriction enabled and took off in Normal and then switched to Manual after takeoff, which you can tell by the camera angle change at ~15 seconds into the video, when I switched over.

Yeah, I'll have to be sensitive to that. There's a lot of wide open space where I live, but I want to be very careful not to annoy the neighbors. I'll have to see how much the noise reverberates around the canyon.

Thx,

MM-FPV!

Welcome. Flying in Normal or Sport and it's really no louder than my MA2. Manual is different because you're constantly adjusting the throttle, especially when doing acro maneuvers.
Well, then, I won't have to worry about it for a while!

My Tentative Timid Training plan is to fly in Normal mode for at least several weeks, then sport mode for at least several weeks, etc.

Plus there are dirt bike trails on the other side of the opposite canyon wall, so motor noises won't be entirely alien to the neighborhood.

Does anyone make a training syllabus for the DJI FPV in acro/Full-Manual mode, either video or written? I've read the manual, and I'm most of the way through the Pilot Institute course, but I'm looking for an organized course syllabus, which will provide specific training exercises to practice, in a specific order, with either a video or a description of how to do them?

Sort of like learning how to fly a regular airplane...

Do any of the stimulators have such courses embedded?

Thx!

MM-FPV!

The Little White Angel on my right shoulder is hanging her head in sorrow. The Little Red Devil on my left shoulder has an enormous stuff-eating grin, and is dancing a little jig.

I ordered my FPV today. I'll have it in a couple of days!

In the end, I just had to accept the fact that the promise of immersive FPV is exactly the kind of flying that I want to do. Do what you love and the money will follow? I sure hope so!

And this one already has a name:

Iratus

The "pose" that you normally see in DJI FPV pics reminded me instantly of the Iratus Bug in Stargate Atlantis:

I will, of course, be using the proper Scottish pronunciation, as expressed by Dr Carson Beckett. I'm not a majority anything genealogically, but I'm more Scottish than anything else, about 35%.

"O brave new world, that has such creatures in it!"

Time for a new adventure!

View attachment 147228

MM-FPV!
I hope you have had some sim time but you were going to love that drone I still love mine, I found the Sim that comes with the DJI is not very good I will use lift off or Velocidrone

The FPV is for actually being in the pilot seat and cruising the sky's, enjoying the views and getting the heartrate going. :)
That's been my plan from the outset!

1650911643477.png

MM-FPV!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine