DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ken Heron claims RID is cancelled - For Now...

I have always thought it funny that People think that just because the F.A.A implemented RID all of a sudden the police would swoop down on every park and flying field looking for non compliance.
First of all, the police do not enforce federal law and, When asked by the FAA to help- The Police depts nationwide replied unanimously that the FAA should hire their own officers and that they are already to busy to go around enforcing Aviation Regulations.
If you fly A drone that is over 250g Recreationaly and you decide to Fly without RID after the law comes into effect, The truth is ( while you are breaking the law and you could very well be fined ) you will never know the difference and you will still be able to fly.
RID is just a license plate for your Drone and the people effected by it Honestly are Part 107 Pilots that after the Deadline MUST comply completely or face losing your insurance.
If you Fly recreational Definatly put a module on your list to get( if needed) But if you decide to Fly without it basically the only person that knows will be you ( but you still should obey the law)
If you Fly commercially the Deadline means that you cannot work until you are compliant. thats only because your insurance company requires you to be legal. - NOT because the new FAA Drone Squad will rush from the bushes and start writing tickets.
The Fact is you will never see an FAA official- just like today. The FAA is pretty busy, They also have to worry about all those airplanes in the sky.
The FAA has not hired millions of new employees to scan every park or open area in the country for Drone pilots. and it has not received any more of a budget than usual.

According to Ken Heron RID deadline is cancelled and no new one has been established. I have not found an official notice of this but Ken is usually right on this kind of thing.

God, I really hope so. I fly an M2P, and any reasonable RID module isn't even available before end of September at this point. I'd like to see them defer until there's a firmware release available.

I have always thought it funny that People think that just because the F.A.A implemented RID all of a sudden the police would swoop down on every park and flying field looking for non compliance.
First of all, the police do not enforce federal law and, When asked by the FAA to help- The Police depts nationwide replied unanimously that the FAA should hire their own officers and that they are already to busy to go around enforcing Aviation Regulations.
If you fly A drone that is over 250g Recreationaly and you decide to Fly without RID after the law comes into effect, The truth is ( while you are breaking the law and you could very well be fined ) you will never know the difference and you will still be able to fly.
RID is just a license plate for your Drone and the people effected by it Honestly are Part 107 Pilots that after the Deadline MUST comply completely or face losing your insurance.
If you Fly recreational Definatly put a module on your list to get( if needed) But if you decide to Fly without it basically the only person that knows will be you ( but you still should obey the law)
If you Fly commercially the Deadline means that you cannot work until you are compliant. thats only because your insurance company requires you to be legal. - NOT because the new FAA Drone Squad will rush from the bushes and start writing tickets.
The Fact is you will never see an FAA official- just like today. The FAA is pretty busy, They also have to worry about all those airplanes in the sky.
The FAA has not hired millions of new employees to scan every park or open area in the country for Drone pilots. and it has not received any more of a budget than usual.
I don't necessarily think that LEOs are going to swoop down, but neither do I really want to knowingly fly out of compliance. As with most things, people mostly do comply with it's easy enough to do.

God, I really hope so. I fly an M2P, and any reasonable RID module isn't even available before end of September at this point. I'd like to see them defer until there's a firmware release available.
Ken is very Knowledgable and well respected I have not heard for sure but I bet he is Correct.

• Haha
Reactions: TonyPHX and Torque
Ken is very Knowledgable and well respected I have not heard for sure but I bet he is Correct.

With all due respect, he isn't as "respected" as you may think. Several of us who have been around a long time don't share that sentiment in the least. That's all I'll say about KH.

With all due respect, he isn't as "respected" as you may think. Several of us who have been around a long time don't share that sentiment in the least. That's all I'll say about KH.
I respect that. I was just saying that I don't think he is lying or that his info is incorrect thats all
I don't 100% agree with everything he says either.

According to Ken Heron RID deadline is cancelled and no new one has been established. I have not found an official notice of this but Ken is usually right on this kind of thing.
I don't think he said it was canceled, just that it was pushed back. This is sort of what @Vic Moss posted about the RID deferment guidelines from the FAA. Except Vic used actual references instead of saying "Some guy told me".

I have been comparing RID to Y2K for over a year. Nice to hear Ken say that as well.
A drone acquaintance of mine who claims to have an inside in the FAA told me last week that RID has been postponed again. I've always doubted his "contacts" but maybe I need to give him some credit.

I don't think he said it was canceled, just that it was pushed back. This is sort of what @Vic Moss posted about the RID deferment guidelines from the FAA. Except Vic used actual references instead of saying "Some guy told me".
Agreed, too much work has been put into this effort for it to just be cancelled or even postponed indefinitely.

I don't get a say in the matter but to me, the better answer is to get rid of broadcast modules, grandfather in the older drones with no RID, continue with the standard RID requirement to manufacturers, wait a few extra 10 years for the system to fix itself eventually. Way better for the FAA to tell the manufacturers what to do rather than telling the people what to do and getting the free market involved.

I have been comparing RID to Y2K for over a year. Nice to hear Ken say that as well.
A drone acquaintance of mine who claims to have an inside in the FAA told me last week that RID has been postponed again. I've always doubted his "contacts" but maybe I need to give him some credit.
As a software developer who had to deal with the Y2K issue, it was more fear than an actual problem, so that analogy is pretty valid.

I would place more stock in actual announcements from the FAA over "I know a guy who knows a guy". You also have to consider that we are still two weeks away and they can still make changes over delaying enforcement.

Agreed, too much work has been put into this effort for it to just be cancelled or even postponed indefinitely.

I don't get a say in the matter but to me, the better answer is to get rid of broadcast modules, grandfather in the older drones with no RID, continue with the standard RID requirement to manufacturers, wait a few extra 10 years for the system to fix itself eventually. Way better for the FAA to tell the manufacturers what to do rather than telling the people what to do and getting the free market involved.
Broadcast modules will be more of a long-term need for people who build their own R/C aircraft.

Reactions: Cafguy and Torque
I don't get a say in the matter but to me, the better answer is to get rid of broadcast modules,
There are many people who build their own drones, like the majority of the FPV racing pilots and cinewhoop photographers, they will require broadcast modules. Grandfathering in older drones leaves a big loophole for people who have nefarious intentions, IMO.

Reactions: Cafguy
"I know a guy who knows a guy". You also have to consider that we are still two weeks away and they can still make changes over delaying enforcement.
Oh I take everything he says with a grain of salt. But I did have to chuckle when I saw Ken H. was saying the same.
I am waiting for an official announcement from the FAA. Hearsay and rumor is all we have right now.

Oh I take everything he says with a grain of salt. But I did have to chuckle when I saw Ken H. was saying the same.
I am waiting for an official announcement from the FAA. Hearsay and rumor is all we have right now.
The FAA's statement from 8/30 is neither hearsay nor rumor. While it only applies to emergency responders, it was a lot more specific than some guy on YouTube.

The FAA's statement from 8/30 is neither hearsay nor rumor. While it only applies to emergency responders, it was a lot more specific than some guy on YouTube.
To be clear: I am waiting for any announcement from the FAA that applies to me as a recreational and part 107 pilot regarding the 9/16/23 deadline. Right now all I have to go on is rumor and hearsay.

Reactions: Cafguy

There are many people who build their own drones, like the majority of the FPV racing pilots and cinewhoop photographers, they will require broadcast modules. Grandfathering in older drones leaves a big loophole for people who have nefarious intentions, IMO.
Get rid of the broadcast module requirement for drones built before Sept 2022. Standard RID is the plan for all manufacturer drones going forward.

Homemade or home-built drones get another plan. Maybe this is where the broadcast module works best.

The current process trying to get jammed thru in the next couple of weeks wasn't going to solve the problem of catching people who have nefarious intention. It is only going to cause more confusion and make the entire situation complex which only helps the bad guy.

It's not a loophole.

Reactions: djwak59 and Capt KO
Not yet.
We each have our own differing opinions here.
I'm fine with that.
The FAA has won half the battle already. They gave marching orders to the folks who listen (the drone manufacturers) and as of today, there are literally millions of drones broadcasting using standard RID and there is nothing the people can do about it, not even the criminals. The FAA doesn't need to postpone that piece of the rulings. They are well on the road to success if they can wait. But no....

The failure is at the broadcast module level. They tried to implement regulations that have too many failure points (availability, cost, implementation, compliance, etc) and now the FAA is faced with a problem.

The answer is grow the former and wait out the latter. As I mentioned, if home built drones are an issue, create a separate set of rules for them based on the appropriate schedule. Maybe invest in the tech so standard RID for homebuilt is a thing. Yes, there are things that can be done to speed this up but standard RID should be primary and the FAA should not be depending on the people to implement their plan.

Just explaining my position, it cannot be seen as a loophole because loopholes need to be closed and the idea there will be drones flying that don't have RID not only won't be closed, it cannot be closed. The FAA needs to adopt a plan that will work and then figure out how to accelerate it. Take those $millions and start up a drone buyback program. Or pay people to ground their legacy drones. Do something that has a chance of working; not this....which is accepting people will ignore the regulation and there's no enforcement and then claiming you got it right except for the loophole. But yes, I understand it's your opinion and I respect that as well. I'm just seeking a solution, trying to help. I'm sure all of this has been much discussed. And for the record, I'm not against standard RID; I'm actually for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman