DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kind of goes without saying but Ya don't crash it. LOL

You do wonder if they are trying to stretch the envelope to get a shot and then wind up crashing.. while perhaps some crashes are inevitable or unavoidable, because of perhaps some other failure, there are of course obvious cautions one can take during a flight to prevent mangling their drone..

And near as I can tell, most every drone crash I've read about with some exceptions, damages the gimbal and because it what it does, not sure how preventable that really is? Or what the could do design wise to still allow to do what it does but make it more crash resistant.

And near as I can tell, most every drone crash I've read about with some exceptions, damages the gimbal and because it what it does, not sure how preventable that really is? Or what the could do design wise to still allow to do what it does but make it more crash resistant.
I was wondering how the durability of the gimbal compared to other drones because as you say on reading through the forum here in a crash the gimbal is seems by far the most likely to be damaged even in fairly mild crashes. Which makes sense given it's a fairly delicate item and looking at the pictures of that damaged Mavic 3 it doesn't look that light a crash it's had.

I am waiting for my M3 to arrive. On the subject of crashes, I have not crashed any of my aircraft since 2016 with a SW1000, with thousands of flights and miles. I am pondering refresh, never needed it before. I fly for image quality, not thrills. However, this thread might convince me to get refresh.

I am waiting for my M3 to arrive. On the subject of crashes, I have not crashed any of my aircraft since 2016 with a SW1000, with thousands of flights and miles. I am pondering refresh, never needed it before. I fly for image quality, not thrills. However, this thread might convince me to get refresh.
What is SW1000?

Reactions: BSauce955
No drone in the Mavic series due to where the camera is mounted can sustain a crash very well. The Phantoms, FPV, and others can as the camera / gimbal is mounted differently and somewhat protected upon impact. That's the price we pay to have a pretty sleek and lightweight drone versus the hulks like the Phantoms and larger drones.

With many more 3rd party insurance companies getting into insuring drones - for rec pilots mostly - they seem to be a better deal and less frustration in the claim process than DJI. Will DJI "wake up" when far fewer people purchase refresh and go with 3rd party instead? Since adding "flyaway" - they have moved more in the right direction, but still have a long way to go.

In the video, he crashes into a guy on a motorcycle. And the drone wasn't going anywhere near full speed toward the rider. Either the sensors were disabled or they aren't as effective as advertised.

In the video, he crashes into a guy on a motorcycle. And the drone wasn't going anywhere near full speed toward the rider. Either the sensors were disabled or they aren't as effective as advertised.
If he were in Sport mode, though perhaps going slow, sensors would be disabled. If we don't know that, its all speculation unless its noted in the video.

I've seen other videos that show the drone stops as it approaches objects.. the thing I don't know is how fast it will brake if you fly at a high speed at a tree or wall, will it stop or not?

Because of course, in review videos, they are being cautious, making sure they don't damage a review drone.. So most are not going to fly at at an obstruction at high speed to see what happens.

Compare it with your friendly insurance guy about an off premises loss rider. Mine was less than refresh. Upto 20k off premises loss. This issues has had me wacky until I did this. Just a suggestion. And might I say, dang you have to be a very experienced pilot to not even get a “ding” in all that time. Impressive.
Grats on your new arrival! Enjoy! 👍🏻
Godspeed, Droniac

I am guessing this is the the SW1000 (Search Engines are your friend)

Yeah, sorry. Spreading Wings 1000. A heavy lift octocopter, got it to use a sony a7r camera. Great images, but it was intimidating to fly. Still have the pieces.

Compare it with your friendly insurance guy about an off premises loss rider. Mine was less than refresh. Upto 20k off premises loss. This issues has had me wacky until I did this. Just a suggestion. And might I say, dang you have to be a very experienced pilot to not even get a “ding” in all that time. Impressive.
Grats on your new arrival! Enjoy! 👍🏻
Godspeed, Droniac
Thanks, but probably not as good as a lot of these guys. Just careful, I guess. My p4 pro has been my go to, have 2 of them but never needed a backup.

Reactions: Droniac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arm1