DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kona and Kauai

Top Hat

Reactions
Any advice/s from members who have been there lately w/ their AC, I need your input.
I will be on these 2 islands next week. Besides FAA reg on hobby flying, what else do I need to look out for.
I'm flying from CA to this 2 islands.

Thanks in advance!Thumbswayup

ALOHA!

I can give you advice from someone who lives and flies on Oahu. Be cool. Try your best not to fly low over people. I have found that most people are extremely interested in the Mavic, since it looks nothing like a Phantom with the obnoxious camera that is associated with peeping at neighbors. If you fly near the ocean, you will get salt spray all over the mavic, so be ready to wipe it down. Use sunscreen, and wear a hat. Sunscreen. And an ND filter. You will need it. And Sunscreen.
Did I mention suncreen?

Reactions: digdat0
Im 20 miles north of Kona right now. Watch out for low flying aircraft, I'm seeing a lot flying helis above. Stay away from nfz, you cannot fly at the lava areas (but if outside, you can fly high and see the cauldera). Btw, visiting that at night was AMAZING. I flew at the black sand beach, South Island but asked permission. I always hand caught. Stay away from tourists, keep a decent height .. people don't wanna hear your drone. careful in high winds, don't fly too far unless you have battery to get back. Watch out for sea spray. Cell reception can be dodgy, pre cache maps. I wish I had some ND filters. I brought my laptop, I keep filling up sd cards and copy media over. Use raw images, easier to manipulate later. Don't take just one pic, take 5 or more. That one pic may have a blur, of five you are guaranteed a good one. Take lots and lots of pics, respect locals and just have fun. Be smart.

Attachments

• DJI_0153.JPG
    DJI_0153.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
Oh yeah, as Quad808 said, sunscreen. My nose would have liked that advice a week ago.

Excellent advice digdat0! Oh yah...one more. No flying in Federal parks. A certain park ranger will tackle you and taze you. You have been warned.
Be careful about flying in back country. There are lots of things growing out there that don't want to be seen......

Excellent advice digdat0! Oh yah...one more. No flying in Federal parks. A certain park ranger will tackle you and taze you. You have been warned.
Be careful about flying in back country. There are lots of things growing out there that don't want to be seen......

What's the difference between federal park and state park in this case? Take Punaluu Black Sand Beach, is that considered federal park? I was planning on not flying there, but asked a lifeguard and he said to have at it just be careful with wind. Should I have not flown there?? Not giving ya hard time, really curious as I wanna respect the local area and others curious :) I was gonna fly at the green sand beach on the southern tip as well, but 30+mph wind gusts wouldn't allow that.

Outstanding guys!
Thanks for all the heads up!

Mahalo!

PS

I bought a gallon of Sunscreen just to be sure.

What's the difference between federal park and state park in this case? Take Punaluu Black Sand Beach, is that considered federal park? I was planning on not flying there, but asked a lifeguard and he said to have at it just be careful with wind. Should I have not flown there?? Not giving ya hard time, really curious as I wanna respect the local area and others curious :) I was gonna fly at the green sand beach on the southern tip as well, but 30+mph wind gusts wouldn't allow that.
Federal Parks are National Parks such as the Volcanic NP. You can't take off and land within the park boundaries. This site talks about Oahu but you can use it as guidance Local Drone Regulation

My best shot , perhaps ever, on Kauai. Pre mavic pro from actual helicopter. 5DM3 camera. I cannot wait to get back there with my mavic. This has to be one of the most beautiful places in earth.

Attachments

• _X0A4954.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Just jumped the 1st hoops SMF airport, hard case bag went to scanner 2x and visually inspected by T S A and told have a good day. Thumbswayup
The journey continues.

I am actually really, really serious about sunscreen. Countless people come here and don't realize Hawaii is closer to the equator, so the suns rays are really strong. The best way to ruin a planned and expensive vacation is with a bad sunburn. I see tourists who rent mopeds everyday ride around the island wearing shorts, and sometimes no shirts red as beets. They will be absolutely miserable the next day. Their dreams of lounging besides the pool, or going to the beach....dashed because of not applying sunscreen.
Even at night. LOL!

I am actually really, really serious about sunscreen. Countless people come here and don't realize Hawaii is closer to the equator, so the suns rays are really strong.
No man, I'm with you 110%. My wife is from Kona. I'm Scandanavian.

I know sunscreen. :D

I was just joshing around.

Flew in both Kona and on Maui a couple weeks ago. We had a blast and having a Mavic with us enhanced every familymemory. More then anything I always avoided people and when flying if I encountered someone would make them comfortable with the technology by inviting them over to take a look and explain what I was doing. I never exceeded 400 ft. and always flew in sight. You will have a blast!DJI_0005.jpg DJI_0013.jpg DJI_0009.jpg

Flew in both Kona and on Maui a couple weeks ago. We had a blast and having a Mavic with us enhanced every familymemory. More then anything I always avoided people and when flying if I encountered someone would make them comfortable with the technology by inviting them over to take a look and explain what I was doing. I never exceeded 400 ft. and always flew in sight. You will have a blast!View attachment 14892 View attachment 14893 View attachment 14894
Great pics man. I just got home from my trip, highlight was getting video of two tiger sharks and a manta ray in the water. I was giddy lol

I can give you advice from someone who lives and flies on Oahu. Be cool. Try your best not to fly low over people. I have found that most people are extremely interested in the Mavic, since it looks nothing like a Phantom with the obnoxious camera that is associated with peeping at neighbors. If you fly near the ocean, you will get salt spray all over the mavic, so be ready to wipe it down. Use sunscreen, and wear a hat. Sunscreen. And an ND filter. You will need it. And Sunscreen.
Did I mention suncreen?

What filter(s) are you using most regularly for daily flights in Hawai'i? In addition, I am planning on doing sunset images; facing into the sunset and 180 degrees away from it (for those golden hour tones.)

I have both the DJI filters and the Taco RC ones. I keep a ND8 on at all times and that will do for cloudy days, but you would need the ND16/32 for those sunny days. The problem I have with using the filters and trying to keep the frame rate consistent, is that the Sun is extremely bright and the shade is really dark. I would use ND32 for wide areas of sun, like flying over the ocean, but once you go inland and have some shady areas too, then I find the 16/8 a little better. ND filters are a must...if not everything gets washed out since it's so bright. When I first got my Mavic, I was so disappointed in the video quality. I have several home build and they produced better video at 1080 compared to the Mavic at 2k! Until I put on the ND filters...then wow....!
This is a video I shot with the Mavic and used a ND32 filter in early morning sun...it was too dark as I panned into the cloudy parts of the shot...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54