DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas

Thanks...Want to be legal but if the laws become too complex many people will just say screw it.

Thanks...Want to be legal but if the laws become too complex many people will just say screw it.

It really does suck that I have to notify the large private airport near me anytime I want to fly. Otherwise I have to drive 15 mins just to escape the zone.

I do see the point of not having a bunch of drones buzzing around national parks. Fortunately in Colorado there are plenty of mountains to capture that aren't NPS.

I agree 100% about the parks. It just seems like the drones should be regulated by the FAA and not have those rules over written by every despot running a town or parks department, or state for that matter. You don't see individual states or cities making other aviation rules that supersede or work in addition to the normal FAR's.

Red Rock Canyon should be great. It's 20-25 minutes off the strip and a great park for hiking and climbing. I'll be taking mine there next month.

Not sure about the no fly zone but I saw a drone there in December and no one was concerned.

I get in the first day about noon and plan on heading out there. I'll see how that goes and perhaps try someplace else the second day I have to go out and fly. I travel for a living and the greatest selling point for me on the Mavic was how portable it is. I plan on taking it on all my trips whenever I will have time to go fly it.

I just checked and according to this website Frequently Asked Questions | Red Rock Canyon Interpretive Association it is totally legal to fly a drone in RR's just not in the wilderness areas. Now I'm excited.

Last edited:
I get in the first day about noon and plan on heading out there. I'll see how that goes and perhaps try someplace else the second day I have to go out and fly. I travel for a living and the greatest selling point for me on the Mavic was how portable it is. I plan on taking it on all my trips whenever I will have time to go fly it.

I just checked and according to this website Frequently Asked Questions | Red Rock Canyon Interpretive Association it is totally legal to fly a drone in RR's just not in the wilderness areas. Now I'm excited.

Cool! Post some video!

Hi all,

I'll be out in Vegas for a few days shortly and wondered if anyone could give me some tips on where some good spots to fly from are around there. I'm thinking the strip, the dam, and anything else of interest. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry
Maybe this will inspire you

I live be in vegas too, and I hate to admit i find myself at screw it with some things.

I'm at the lake every weekend with the boat, and I bring the drone and GoPros with every time. I've had rangers stop me and inform me that i'm not allowed to fly. Both times I was on shore when approached. I've not had the courage to fly near the dam as i'm sure I'll draw attention I don't want or need.

As for the strip..... it's so hard not to go and capture the most awesome scene that vegas has. I have gotten close to capture a great shot, but I don't think it's worth the trouble and risk to get crazy with it.

Red rock is nice, but it's just another set of mountains to me.

I did get a chance to capture a sunrise with balloons in it. They are in the air every morning. Again, I wouldn't get too close as i'm sure that too can cause some headache.

But to restate what you said, it sucks to have a drone that you aren't allowed to get anything good. More and more people are going to be flying dirty.

a744bea6fd7e294f206bd1759699851f.jpg
eaa529c31504897fb76212e8d5720022.jpg

I'm amazed that you don't have hundreds of comments telling you that it isn't legal to fly there. :) Awesome video
I am a registered US Airmen and part 107 licensed. I was there on a mission requested by the property owner, and recorded my flight in. Furthermore, I had notified the closest ATC of my mission parameters.

Worth every penny baby.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasoraso
My dad lives in Vegas and I go there often. Two weeks ago I brought my drone and was staying on the strip. My Mavic mostly stayed in the hotel safe due to the crazy laws. I did get a bit of video of the Mint 400 track prior to the race. There were a couple drones flying near Fremont St during the Mint 400 tech inspection event. This may have been a legal flight IF they contacted North Las Vegas Airport and were only hobbyist pilots. Hobbyists can't fly anywhere on the Strip proper as it's all within McCarren's class B airspace.

Red Rock Canyon will be best during golden hour in the morning due to the direction it primarily faces.

A friend of mine who used to live at the City Center on the strip took a few videos on the strip with no f**ks given. Check it out

Reactions: slimeray
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
libanczyk