DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Latch your battery tightly.

Former Member

Reactions
I do alot of Mavic repairs, and just came upon an anomaly that I think is share worthy. Im sorry for the poor video quality.

I was testing some batteries I have for sale to see how many cycles were on them pre-sale. One after the other I popped them in, checked their cycle count and popped them out. All went well until I came across a battery with only 16 cycles on it that would not latch in without a good strong push. Ive never had one like this in the many hundreds of drones Ive sold, and it could lead to disaster if a person is a noobie, and thinks his battery is locked, when it really isnt.

My suggestion, even to someone like myself, is to latch your battery in, listen for the 2 pops of it seating into the battery tray, and then give it a good strong pull. Only then will you be good to go. As you get up in cycle count, 100, 200, the latches might start to wear out, so be extra careful that the battery is locked in.

And here's the better way to make sure your battery is locked in:

Last edited:
I do alot of Mavic repairs, and just came upon an anomaly that I think is share worthy. Im sorry for the poor video quality.

I was testing some batteries I have for sale to see how many cycles were on them pre-sale. One after the other I popped them in, checked their cycle count and popped them out. All went well until I came across a battery with only 16 cycles on it that would not latch in without a good strong push. Ive never had one like this in the many hundreds of drones Ive sold, and it could lead to disaster if a person is a noobie, and thinks his battery is locked, when it really isnt.

My suggestion, even to someone like myself, is to latch your battery in, listen for the 2 pops of it seating into the battery tray, and then give it a good strong pull. Only then will you be good to go. As you get up in cycle count, 100, 200, the latches might start to wear out, so be extra careful that the battery is locked in.

Thunderdrones that is interesting. I had a ruff landing did not notice at first but both spring to the battery are jarred that it will not push the latches out. have you cracked open one of the batterys.

Reactions: Former Member
I always pick up the MP and insert the battery with both hands. One hand on each side, fingers on the bottom heatsink and firmly press down with both thumbs. I never liked the way the MP flexes when you push the battery down with the MP a table. When you hold it in your hands you can push the battery in hard and quick and make make sure both sides click into place.

I'm at 116 charges on one of my batteries and the latches are good as new. Still very audible clicks when I put it in. One thing to watch out for is swelling which could affect the seating.

Good advice Thunderdrones.
I always give the battery a good firm push then a giggle to make sure it is seated and secure.
Murphy's law states that the one time you don't it'll pop out.
I also install the battery as Xcel does. This way it seats with even pressure on both sides and you have a better "feel" as it does so. And as he states, it means you don't put any strain on the arms.
Simple pre flight must do.

One of my prefilght checks it to make sure the batt is in snugly. In addition to giving it a good tug I also give it a side to side wiggle while watching the bottom of the visible portion of the battery to see if there is any movement. Already caught it once not completely latched on one side.Thumbswayup

I always pick up the MP and insert the battery with both hands. One hand on each side, fingers on the bottom heatsink and firmly press down with both thumbs. I never liked the way the MP flexes when you push the battery down with the MP a table. When you hold it in your hands you can push the battery in hard and quick and make make sure both sides click into place.

I'm at 116 charges on one of my batteries and the latches are good as new. Still very audible clicks when I put it in. One thing to watch out for is swelling which could affect the seating.

Same here - I cringed watching that video, each time he put such force on the front legs.

I'm up to about 25-30 cycles on my batteries without any latch issues.

I'm sure there was a user on the official forums with a new fly more package and showed videos of the batteries, one clipped in no problem but another was noticeably loose. Either way, I've been careful to check the battery is in firmly when attaching them now.

John

Same here - I cringed watching that video, each time he put such force on the front legs.
Me three. I bet a lot of Mavic owners are inserting the battery like that though.

The battery that came with my mavic clips in with ease,both clips locking without any effort.
My second battery when inserting the same way only locks in on one side initially.I then have to press on the offending side and then I hear the click.
I have from day one double checked battery seating by way of a upward pull of the battery to make sure it's secure.

Just curious, does anyone here treat their Mavic like the guy in the video?

My battery number 3 is somewhat like that. But I from the day I unpacked it, I knew to listen for 2 clicks before even turning on the unit. I always give it a hard tug upwards before powering on the unit. Still have a healthy drone. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d