DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

launch apprehension

I'm not sure if I understand some of things you stated. i.e. your statement about all public spaces been ok to launch from is just not true. Lots of public lands have restrictions on what you can and cannot do such as city parks, state parks, BLM, wilderness areas, etc. The FAA doesn't own the sky, it regulates it, and there have been successful lawsuits against the government about expectation of privacy and property rights that extend at least some measure above a persons property.

also, I don't think you meant it this way, but you made it sound as if recreational flyers have but one rule? but they have many the same ones we Par1 107 pilots do.. i.e. no flying over groups of people, no higher then 400ft, maintain line of sight, no flying at night, etc. The difference is with Part 107, you can get exceptions to those, which yeah, is a pain to wait, but much better then the process under previous 333 rules, and the FAA is planning on allowing BVLOS, night flying, flying over people, soon, and without waivers, but only for certified pilots.

Also, and it depends on what you define as Military airspace, if you mean over military airfields, then yes, but there are vast MOA's all over the country where the FAA has said the following "If the restricted area is not active and has been released to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the ATC facility allows the aircraft to operate in the restricted airspace without issuing specific clearance for it to do so"

so it's not always simple, you have to learn how and where to get the information, and to educate yourself with the correct information. A good chuck of that can be found in these three websites

Fly for Fun
Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
Not to argue, but for the sake of accuracy, there are loads of differences. 400ft ceiling is not a regulation. Night flying is not prohibited. And just so you know I'm not full of hot air, it's on the FAA website. I think he meant to say that recreational flyers have a lot less red tape and more freedoms, which is true. But if you fly and use your footage for personal gain, you need Part 107 certification.

I, too, prefer to fly alone and concentrating. Flying distracted is something I do not like to do!

I thought the no night flying and stay below 400 ceiling was applicable to recreational flyers too. If they're not. That makes me feel even more jaded. Lol

But to the OPs original question of that feeling of anxiety.. For me personally. I feel anxious when I know I'm doing something wrong. If I know I'm in the right ,I never feel anxious. And sometimes even feel a bit snooty. Yknow that " yeah, come over here. i dare you. let me educate you on a few things" feeling..
Lol bad me..

Hi. I'm a licenced commercial UAV pilot here in California. The way I understand it is.

To fly commercially (being paid) you must have a licence and follow many rules and regulations. We are practically grounded.
To fly over people you need a waiver.
To fly at night you need a waiver.
To fly out of line of sight you need a waiver.
To fly in controlled airspace you need a waiver.
Many more...
To get these waivers requires an application sent in to the FAA and could take 90 days to be approved. So yeh. As a photographer. These airborne photoshoots are a pain and almost not worth it.

now.. As a recreational flier. (Flying for fun, not profit) the rules are much simpler.
Do not fly in controlled airspace. (Within 5 miles of an airport)
Don't fly over people, don't fly out of line of sight. Keep it below 400 feet.
Just be responsible basically.

Here's what you do.
Download the AIRMAPS app. Check it before you fly. It will tell you if flying at your location is legal. And shows you which, if any airports are nearby. And provides phone numbers to the ATC (air traffic control) that control the airspace you are in. Many companies are onboard and sponsor AIRMAPS including DJI, Amazon, google, Intel and the FAA supports it.

It is legal to fly within 5 miles of an airport as long as you notify the tower. And is the safe thing to do so any planes or helicopters know you are their buzzing around. You are not required to ask permission. You are required to just let them know where you will be. Noone owns the sky.

Flying commercially. You need a waiver and inform tower
Flying for fun. You need to inform the tower if within 5 miles of an airport.

There's more.
If your drone weighs between 0.55 pounds and 55 pounds. Then it is required that you register your drone with the FAA. Registration requires a 5 dollar fee and you get a tail number to put on your drone just like every airplane and helicopter has.

If it is a public place you have a right to launch and take pictures of anything you want. Some places like some city parks have signs posted for no flying. Of course be respectful and follow the local rules of your city or town.
Launching from privately owned land. Obviously you need permission from the land owner or management.

Military airspace is a no fly zone..period.
National parks are no fly zones..period.
AIRMAPS will let you know.

I was in Marine Corps Air Station Miramar's airspace and even though its a military no fly zone. I called their tower to ask permission. The said they were happy I called. Took my coordinates , asked the time and height I would be and they happily granted my request. They also said that they would notify San Diego International Airport for me. Also. Since it was a commercial job they asked if I was licenced and had a waiver to fly in controlled airspace.
So I was good and legal.. Here's where I ran into problems. DJI is onboard with the FAA and with AIRMAPS so the drone knew I was in a no fly zone. The thing would not even launch...LOL

So in summary. Flying for fun.
Register your drone online.
Make sure you are not in controlled airspace.
If you are then notify the tower.
Launch and have fun!!
Stay below 400 feet. (Airplanes are required to stay above 500)

I have never been denied. They are always happy to hear from me. And if we all do this then they will begin to get sick of all these requests from drone pilots notifying them of a toy drone that weighs 2 pounds will be in the air below 400 feet. And will simplify the process for us.

If you do all this then Nobody. Not even law enforcement can tell you that you are breaking the law. Just let the police officer know that you are in legal airspace, your drone is registered, and you have clearance from Air Traffic Control. and that you are licensed (if applicable).you will not be breaking any laws. And will win your day at court if it came to that.

Remember. Noone can assume the right to privacy in a public place. You can photo or video anything you want.

Fly safe. Fly legal. Have fun!

I am a licensed commercial pilot and photographer by trade. I am not affiliated with law enforcement, the FAA, DJI, Airmaps, Amazon, Google, or Intel.
And am not a perfect person so could have forgotten a few things. But this is how it is, as far as I understand it.

Wow. Awesome post. Thank you.

It'll be okay. You just need to meet the right girl for you.

I've been flying for just about 5 years now and I've only ran into a delusional person twice. I say delusional because one guy threatened to throw a trash can lid and knock it out of the sky, and the other insisted I was spying on her daughter. Like others have said, flying isn't a crime. Don't let the media scare you, thats just their way of getting money.

So I've gotten pretty good at flying and operating my MavicPro...however I still have anxiety/apprehension about flying with strangers watching my every move when I get ready to launch.

I'll drive to a nice spot I want to shoot...someone will be parked there, sitting on a bench, wandering around or walking by and I feel like I'm about ready to do a drug deal or something illegal and don't want anyone to see me.

Is it just me, or how long does it take... or how do you get over that anxious feeling? I know...I know...I should just do it.

I haven't that feeling, but I freakin' fear toddlers! If thet see a drone they'll run as hell through a whole park to get close to it. Yesterday I had that happen, they were 4 kids around 5-6 years old, one even threw a stick towards the drone, LOL! I had seen them approaching so I had already sent it up 20-25 meters to keep it safe, so no problem, but freakin' toddlers are my nightmare!
PS in order to land it I waited for them to get away with their moms, and yes, I really loved the Mavic's 20+ minutes of authonomy

Reactions: Hammer
So I've gotten pretty good at flying and operating my MavicPro...however I still have anxiety/apprehension about flying with strangers watching my every move when I get ready to launch.

I'll drive to a nice spot I want to shoot...someone will be parked there, sitting on a bench, wandering around or walking by and I feel like I'm about ready to do a drug deal or something illegal and don't want anyone to see me.

Is it just me, or how long does it take... or how do you get over that anxious feeling? I know...I know...I should just do it.
just today I felt perfectly like you.. in 20 seconds I was surrounded by curious people.. I felt so uncomfortable.. above all cause I'm such a newbie at flying it and I get "panic" lol! like yesterday I lost eye contact and even of drone was just "behind" I couldn't realize it fast.. those 10-20 seconds I was so unsure [emoji23][emoji21] anyway yes with people around I feel. weird..

The whole 'show' surrounding the launch is a lot easier these days, having to screw the nut on the P1 was a real pain, people had about 10 minutes to form an orderly semi circle around you while you got that thing ready. With the Mavic I get the controller and phone ready before the Mavic even comes out of the bag, god knows fiddling with that phone holder and getting that cable plugged in the side/bottom of the phone is the worse part. Once done the Mavic comes out, arms extended, powered on and within 30 seconds its up.

I think the tension goes with time, and if you have had a couple of the things you realise quite how good and reliable they are nowadays. Things can go wrong so follow the rules, but you know if someone distracts you center the sticks and let it hover while you deal with the distraction.

I've also found lately that I could be in the middle of nowhere happily flying, only for a group to form just when I want to bring it in to land. Thats the tricky part, making sure people you have watching do not move too close, or a toddler, perhaps another hazard are dogs. The rule there I guess is have enough battery to relocate if you have to.

Welcome to the club.

You are right to be concerned. It's a balance between safety, personal security, and laws in the area you fly. The good thing is that the Mavic is pretty small so people aren't as intimidated by it flying. Some may even think it's a toy (especially if you outfit it with a decal skin).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2434Rose