Leg Extenders

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by PilotMan7700, Nov 24, 2016.

1. PilotMan7700

PilotMan7700 Active Member

I did a search to see if there was a thread talking about this specifically yet. I found a few posts asking about if anybody had created them yet but nothing devoted to this. If I missed something please redirect me.

I just ran across these on Amazon. Has anybody else bought these, or have made something similar. They look pretty simple, probably just a few pennies to produce. Hoping maybe somebody could share a file so people can produce them on their own.

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Landin...ie=UTF8&qid=1479968111&sr=1-23&keywords=mavic
    Mavic Leg 1.jpg Mavic Leg 2.jpg Mavic Leg 3.jpg Mavic Leg 4.jpg Mavic Leg 5.jpg

Ender and niclariv like this.
  2. HueJorgan

HueJorgan Well-Known Member

What a great idea

3. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

I think they are a bit overpriced, but maybe they just look a bit ... crappy.
    These are shorter but fair priced:

Heightened Extender Landing Gear Riser Set For DJI Mavic Pro Quadcopter Black | eBay

They are available on every ebay, just as an example. If you pay more then $7 including shipment you were ripped off for good :)

But of course these solutions will pop up on thingiverse sooner or later so maybe it just will take too long to travel from china to make a difference.

Ender

4. Daniel Yee

Daniel Yee Member

I thought of buying the leg extenders when I first got my Mavic.

... few hours later I manage to hand-grab my Mavic mid air.

5. dsd317

dsd317 Well-Known Member

6. ATXdrone

ATXdrone Well-Known Member

Good ideas, here's some mechanical things to keep in mind:

• If the front legs continue at the same angle inward, then the resulting stance is less stable (narrower "track" combined with taller stance). May be fine, but it IS less stable than stock.
    • If the front legs go straight down (like second example), it's slightly less stable on landing (same track, taller stance) than stock.
    • If the front legs splay OUT (not shown in any example), there will be torque on the pivot point of the arm. The longer a lever, the more "leverage" from the same weight. Meaning that as it lands, the force of landing will be multiplied if the lever is longer. So don't overcompensate for the first two bullets above my making the legs overly wider.
    • It's apparent from videos that the Mavic can lift a lot of weight and overcome lots of external inputs (knocks, wind, etc.). Just remember that these things add weight and wind resistance. Narrower solutions might be better for the former. Think skinny carbon fiber rods with little pads on the end.
    That's all theoretical... just thinking out loud for the discussion.

(added a bit later)

Also the first solution is adding landing legs to the rear props. The stock design doesn't put any landing force on this area. If the arm pivot mounts are less capable of taking this force than the front ones, this could cause undue wear or damage to the rear prop arms on the long run.

7. Airtex

Airtex Member

So is the consensus...it's a good idea in concept, but unproven so far? Just bought a landing pad and will use that for now. But certainly seems worth keeping an eye on.

Climb High, Pray Higher