DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Legal jeopardy?

scoobie77

Reactions
A client hired me to take photos of a property where he believed stolen merchandise was stored. It was, in fact, visible from the air and the client will be using the photos as evidence. I was not actually over the property. It was visible from the adjacent property at a height of about 30 feet. Can I be sued by the property owner for taking photos of his allegedly stolen goods?

I'd be more concerned about their seeking other forms of retribution, that said I would suggest this is more a flight for a police drone than your drone.

Can I be sued by the property owner for taking photos of his allegedly stolen goods?
I wouldn't worry about being sued.... retribution maybe. And you may be compelled to come to court to support the evidence without additional payment unless it was spelled out in your contract.

Your client has to be more concerned about whether the video evidence is usable for police or court purposes. It will depend on the laws governing video use in your area.

In Idaho, there are laws specifically against this type of "surveillance" and you could face fines and jail for that flight.

Idaho Code § 21-213(1)(a)

2) (a) No person, entity or state agency shall use an unmanned aircraft system to intentionally conduct surveillance of, gather evidence or collect information about, or photographically or electronically record specifically targeted persons or specifically targeted private property, including but not limited to:
  • (i) An individual or a dwelling owned by an individual and such dwelling’s curtilage, without such individual’s written consent;
  • (ii) A farm, dairy, ranch or other agricultural industry, or commercial or industrial property, without the written consent of the property owner.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming