DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Legal UK CAA take off and landing zone - still 30 metres ?

SaintDan

Reactions
Excuse the possibility this is a stupid question and i'm missing something....

Using a mini ( sub 250g UAV ) in the open category, but overflight of uninvolved people ;

Is there any way ( aside from an Operational Safety Case ) to legally reduce the take off and landing zone required from 30 metres ? That's unless you can already do this and i'm missing something ?

Asking as considering buying something like a mini 2 purely to access these more challenging areas...

i presume you mean from uninvolved people ,or traffic moving along a road ,if there are no persons or vehicles about ,then just take off and go up to the 50m height requirement ,for over flight of people ,but not crowds of people ,the main thing to be aware of is ,there is always going to be a short period of time both during take off and landing ,when it might be impossible to maintain a 30m distance ,but its your responsibility to make sure that people are aware that you intend to take off or land ,by informing them of your intentions ,always check 360 degrees around yourself before take off or landing ,to ensure that the area is clear

Reactions: Chris Rees
Excuse the possibility this is a stupid question and i'm missing something....

Using a mini ( sub 250g UAV ) in the open category, but overflight of uninvolved people ;

Is there any way ( aside from an Operational Safety Case ) to legally reduce the take off and landing zone required from 30 metres ? That's unless you can already do this and i'm missing something ?

Asking as considering buying something like a mini 2 purely to access these more challenging areas...
See the UK drone code, extract in photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210927-171905.jpg
    Screenshot_20210927-171905.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: old man mavic
Thanks all.

Just put the official ( spoke to RAE ) answer here in case it helps anyone ;

The TOLP can be of any size, but the size must be justified within any risk assessment used.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev