DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lessons from an idiot about flying indoors

I also had a similar accident. It was my first day with the bird after waiting for nearly 3 months. The light was dim, I just wanted to start the motors, nothing more, just to show it to my father-in-law using facetime. I was so happy to have it after so much waiting. So I was holding an iphone and the RC with another iphone. I was so stupid to not even allow some space between the mavic and the surrounding furniture. I think I tried to give some throttle, and boom! It started drifting at around 10-20cm height. As the OP described, I tried to stop it with my hand while holding the remote. I couldn't think clear, and while watching the propels hitting the sofa, I just couldn't stand and watch.

I got away with a minor cut on my finger. A small scratch on one propeller and sadly a tiny cut on one of the RC's antenna plastic body. I feel very idiot for not listening to my inner voice saying "This isn't right! Don't try it" but I was so excited with the Mavic and wanted to show how it works etc.

Anyway, lesson learned. I hope other people can see all these similar experience and think about it.

I have try that using sport mode in indoor area in my garage all sensor off in sport mode, MP hover but a little not stable little move slightly to left or right and more responsive, I can move it to narrow space with precise stick movement but still very high risk crash into the wall

So a good pilot could handle it inside with sport mode?

Reactions: baldflux
So a good pilot could handle it inside with sport mode?
Only when you familiar with MP movement, sport mode put MP in aggressive mode so you must handle with care with stick movement it's really responsive. Not advice for newbie flight without experience and MP easy to drift left or right usually newbie will be panicked when it happened and make suddenly move to stick (while in sport mode) for correction make it alot more worse MP will response aggressively when you move stick suddenly so it's really dangerous.

My MP is for aerial video/photography only and would never fly indoor. I'm quite experience with a few Phantoms before but still think these drones are not reliable flying indoor. When weather is not good to fly outdoor, I fly my tinywhoop FPV indoor for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

My MP is for aerial video/photography only and would never fly indoor. I'm quite experience with a few Phantoms before but still think these drones are not reliable flying indoor. When weather is not good to fly outdoor, I fly my tinywhoop FPV indoor for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

How do they fly Mavic's etc indoors during trade shows, while still allowing "newbies" to try them out?

Sharkhunter I got my guards from Amazon, they are working great .... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXQ2EXD/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bestmaple DJI Mavic Pro Protectors Guard Bumpers Quick Release Propeller Protector For DJI Mavic Pro Drone Not Affect Obstacle Avoidance

I just flew my Mavic around my house last night. I have one of those circular designed houses. I shut off the avoidance system, I did have the prop guards on just in case and I had my yaw set at 20 and 80 limit. I just made sure I had the lights on in the hallways and rooms I flew though. It stayed in opti mode the whole time. I had no drifting issues except for the wind buffeting off the hallway walls and furniture at times. I guess I should have made a video.

Sharkhunter I got my guards from Amazon, they are working great .... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXQ2EXD/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bestmaple DJI Mavic Pro Protectors Guard Bumpers Quick Release Propeller Protector For DJI Mavic Pro Drone Not Affect Obstacle Avoidance

I just flew my Mavic around my house last night. I have one of those circular designed houses. I shut off the avoidance system, I did have the prop guards on just in case and I had my yaw set at 20 and 80 limit. I just made sure I had the lights on in the hallways and rooms I flew though. It stayed in opti mode the whole time. I had no drifting issues except for the wind buffeting off the hallway walls and furniture at times. I guess I should have made a video.
I ordered the same guards from a different vendor on Amazon. They are really nice for indoor flying. Highly recommend.

Reactions: Brianna
I too have crashed indoors. I took off, hovered for a moment, then tried to land. It wouldn't land and started to drift. It drifted right into my coffee table and took out two blades and scratched the **** out of my coffee table. It was quite the sight, after which I just sat there in shock of what just happened. My contraption capable of going miles away, 100's of feet in the air is now a tangled mess on the floor!

I really don't like how it prevents you from landing quickly. My P2 would let me drop it like a rock right where I wanted it and I miss having that control. The Mavic introduces a delay during landing which totally throws off a smooth decent in tight quarters.

I was also fairly intoxicated which didn't help, but at least I saved it from drifting into the Christmas tree :)

LOL. Same exact thing happened to me, including the coffee table. Thank god it didn't hit my big screen TV.

As far as landing quickly, if you disable the downward facing sensors, it lands without the pause/hesitation. I had to disable them to fly over water.

I have the prop guards like brianas. The first time I used them outside when I went to go straight down quickly the Mavic porpoised front to back semi violently. I did see something about "propeller cages" in one of the last few firmware updates that may have fixed that. I dont use the guards unless I fly indoors or around lots of obstacles.

LOL. Same exact thing happened to me, including the coffee table. Thank god it didn't hit my big screen TV.

As far as landing quickly, if you disable the downward facing sensors, it lands without the pause/hesitation. I had to disable them to fly over water.

Or you can pull both sticks down and in and hold them. That makes it land pretty fast. :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer