Litchi for Android

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Alex Baxter, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Alex Baxter

Alex Baxter Well-Known Member

Just updated the Litchi app on my Nexus 6XT, I'm now a happy bunny, and can do my Litchi missions with my Mavic.

2. John Shaw

John Shaw Member

Alex - Thanks for posting. I had been watching for the Android version and after reading your post I rechecked. Not only is it there but on sale today.

3. devinrhall

devinrhall Well-Known Member

why is it so expensive

Devin

4. VinCe

VinCe New Member

Doesn't the dji go app do all of what this app can do?? what's the difference?

5. devinrhall

That's what I thought, and DJI go is free. In the app store on iPhone it costs 20 some dollars for Litchi, I don't understand why it costs that much or how it's so much different from DJI Go.

Edit: It looks like they halved the price for litchi so now it's 12 something, probably only for black friday.

Devin

6. toegema

toegema Member

Litchi is much better for waypoint missions

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

7. Exception

Exception Well-Known Member

For waypoint missions on LitchI you do not have to fly route first and record the points like the DJI Go app. You can also use a computer to make waypoint mission flights and the run them on the drone

8. devinrhall

I bought it since it's on sale today, better than the 22 dollars it did cost. If I used Android I would've just pirated it for free. iPhone isn't so easy to get free paid apps. You can get any paid app on Android for free.

Devin

9. makg

makg Well-Known Member

I bought it today for 13 bucks on the App Store, heard it was less dumbed down than DJI app. Have high hopes for when I test it, but I'm still Mavic-less :(

10. devinrhall

Aren't we all, I got my extra propellers today from Yitamotor, all I can do is look at them.

Devin

11. Random155

Random155 Well-Known Member

Litchi is on sale for 11.99 today. I have a question... using the VR option has me a bit confused. So, from what I can tell, I will need a longer usb to micro usb cord so I can keep my phone plugged into the remote when using VR goggles? Also, when I open the VR option my camera faces down and wont move using the wheel or moving the phone (like looking up and down). Anyone know if thsi is a known issue?

12. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

I believe VR mode controls camera orientation with phone orientation (head tracking). Put your phone in the orientation you'd have while looking straight with a cardboard-style VR set on and it should look straight forward.

For the cable, yes obviously.

13. Random155

Random155 Well-Known Member

Yeah I tried that but the camera didn't move

14. Alex Baxter

Waypoint missions and a few bells and whistles, personal preferences

15. GerdS

GerdS Active Member

16. johnie

johnie Active Member

Apart from all the extra features already mentioned the developers are great, in the past they have added many features that just weren't available in DJI Go plus they are quick to fix things the only delays or features that get requested and not possible to do is down to the DJI SDK all developers must use then your stuck waiting for DJI to do something.

As an example they added POI and follow me long before it was in the DJI Go app back in the early Phantom days.

17. MavicKhan

MavicKhan Well-Known Member

(...Waiting for my Mavic...)

Is Litchi able to circumvent the controller range limitation, i.e, programing a mission, have the drone fly and complete it, even if out-of-range?

If that is possible, is it also possible to program camera orientation during the flight path (i.e tracking yawing around a POI) or will the drone only fly facing forward?

Thank you for any inputs.

MK

18. Alex Baxter

Yes, yes, and yes.. Put plenty of waypoints in.

Yes, and yes. Every waypoint has an orientation and a height. If you put curves in, then it will not pause at each waypoint, but smoothly change the orientation as it goes towards the next waypoint. You can put POIs in, but the gimbal angle is disabled if you use curved waypoints.

Speed is also programmable over the mission.

Get the Mission hub on your PC, and play with it, it's a very powerful tool, planning missions is great fun. Start small with three or four waypoints at a reasonable distance and a reasonable height (measured from the home point, NOTE WELL if you have hills/trees/buildings on your route). The planner prompts you with ground elevations when you set the waypoints

Read and understand what it's all about and don't get too ambitious early on. You can use Litchi to plan missions when you're away from home too, You can cache the missions for when you don't have wi-fi or phone reception on site.

I have a litchi mission I'm using to film a seasonal time-lapse over the local woods over the next 8 months (4 months done), as it reliably repeats the mission over and over again.

Enjoy!

MavicKhan likes this.
  19. stealle

stealle Well-Known Member

Alex, do you know of a youtube video that does the best job of teaching how to use both the PC and smartphone software?

20. MavicKhan

MavicKhan Well-Known Member

Alex, I can't thank you enough. This is exactly the reply I was looking for.

...Don't worry, I'll be starting this much delayed foray into drones with tiny, tiny steps and the utmost care.

I do have some epic filming spots already scouted and marked though and, once I am confident with the different aspects of this new hobby, I plan to take full advantage of what my beautiful country has to offer. :)

MK