Litchi Waypoint has focus bug

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Robert, Jan 7, 2017.

1. waverider969

waverider969 Well-Known Member

did you just say it could take up to 5 seconds to focus after beep? Thats a long time when your moving around. Guess you wouldn't want to start a new focus on an object thats moving in or out of view.

2. Logger

Logger Well-Known Member

Litchi Support just wrote me:
    Hi, "Focus on POI" means that the aircraft/gimbal will keep the POI in the center of the video frame.

Exactly - that's what I said back in post #11

3. Owen Manderfield

With Litchi (Android) when I tap to focus it can take several seconds for the camera to lock on and achieve focus and Litchi gives a timeout error message about the camera failing to respond. The majority of the time it does focus correctly - but not always.
    I keep forgetting to focus prior to starting!! I wish auto or hyperfocal focus was set by default and manual focus by request!

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

4. Manfrenjensen

Manfrenjensen Member

I don't have Litchi yet. But I have a question on this...
    If I understand correctly, a Litchi waypoint path doesn't 'remember' focal distance. So... it will remember where to point the camera, but won't know or remember to re-focus.
    My primary use for Litchi waypoints would be for the drone starting far away from a subject and then flying closer & closer to it and finally ending up very close to it.
    Does this mean that while it's flying its waypoint path, that I would need to keep manually refocusing (by tapping) as the mavic progresses toward he subject?

5. Logger

Logger Well-Known Member

Correct
    Not really. Someone will correct me on the figures. Once focused on something afar, anything from infinity down to about 20m away will be in sharp. So yes, if your range to POI drops inside this distance you would need to refocus. OTOH if you keep your POIs passing outside of this range ( approx 20m) then all good.
    This is just how the Mavic camera works regardless of Litchi.

Manfrenjensen likes this.
  6. WolfgangStiller

WolfgangStiller Well-Known Member

If you are flying a waypoint mission focusing the mavic on any distant (i.e., more than 10 meters out) object should produce fine results. I can't see a situation where a waypoint mission would need manual refocusing while it's in progress (Litchi never does anything itself to refocus during a mission). The exception to that would be if your waypoint mission brings you really close in to something you want to photograph but that would be really risky since you can not depend on GPS positions to be that accurate and reliable.

7. Manfrenjensen

Manfrenjensen Member

Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful.
    I think I'll give it a try.

8. Robert

Robert Member

Re-focusing during a mission will not work well with the App at this current version. When you tap to focus during a mission, one of two things will happen: 1) it will just not be able to focus at as I described in my original post, 2) it will cause a vibration in the footage. This is something Litchi has to fix. Here would be my suggestion:
    - Whenever the recording/shuttle button is pressed, a focus action should be performed automatically before the recording;
    - Re-focusing can be performed any time during the record by tapping. Make sure that vibration.

9. Robert

Robert Member

Where can I find Litchi support? I cannot even find here email that I can report issues with their app in their website.

10. Logger

Logger Well-Known Member

Robert it works fine for me, as I demonstrated yesterday. You see an issue however that does not necessarily mean it will effect anybody else, nor does it mean Litchi is the cause.

I certainly do not see it and there is no evidence of it in my previous video, nor the one I have posted here. This new clip is from the same flight I did yesterday & I reckon it shows no vibration in footage during focus in a Litchi WPT mission. You can see that I takeoff with the camera way out of focus, simply because I had left the focus right in close when I was doing the tests for the first video. I arrive near first WPT, realise I am out of focus so initiate a focus in Litchi and it works perfectly & smoothly. I see no issue. As you will see, the rest of the video is sharp. I did re focus several times unnecessarily as the purpose of the flight was to see if there is focus issue. Having watched the entire 7 min clip several times I cannot see any footage vibration or even tell when my 1/6 dozen or so manual focus events actually occurred. Perhaps you should post yours.

When you do speak to Litchi it is fairly like they will tell you they use the DJIs SDK to create their app. Their app then makes API calls tell the Mavics firmware to do a focus. I find it hard to envisage how whatever it is you are seeing with the focus procedure could actually be attributable to Litchi. S'Pose it is possible though.

I kept the landing in at the end as it demonstrates how the camera has held focus through the end of cruise where lens is pointed at several hundred feet away right up until a couple of feet away at LDG.

In my opinion Litchi focus works just fine in both Android and IOS version. Not surprisingly as the focus action is being accomplished by the Mavic firmware.

#30 Logger, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    WolfgangStiller likes this.
  11. WolfgangStiller

WolfgangStiller Well-Known Member

If you go to the Litchi website (flylitichi.com) there are links to FB and G+ support groups.