DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi waypoints reletive to ground.

Yes. A very accurate way to set your waypoint elevation in relation to ground. You build your mission in Google earth then transfer it to Litchi Mission Hub. Then you can access it from the Litchi app to fly it.

Last edited:
This is what I was just looking for!

Thank you Forrest. I didn't know Litchi had this out yet. The process to set up the waypoints and elevation relative to ground is almost identical to setting them up in Google Earth, but it seems it's just a little bit easier in Google Earth. Maybe just because I'm used to G Earth. The Litchi app is a huge step up from Go4. I'm really happy I purchased it. Several of the modes like Follow don't work in the current version from what I understand.

Thank you Forrest. I didn't know Litchi had this out yet. The process to set up the waypoints and elevation relative to ground is almost identical to setting them up in Google Earth, but it seems it's just a little bit easier in Google Earth. Maybe just because I'm used to G Earth. The Litchi app is a huge step up from Go4. I'm really happy I purchased it. Several of the modes like Follow don't work in the current version from what I understand.

Those modes work now:

"Dear Litchi Pilots,

The new DJI firmware updates for Mavic Pro (v01.03.0600) and Phantom 4 Pro (v01.03.0509) fixed the issue introduced in the previous firmware versions which would cause erratic behavior in some of Litchi's flight modes. All of Litchi's flight modes are safe to use again with the latest firmware version for the Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro. The issue still exists in the current firmware for the Inspire 2.

The Litchi Team"

I have one question does or would the obstacle avoidance work if you are flying a mission and encounter that tree? I am probably going to guess that would be a NO??

I have one question does or would the obstacle avoidance work if you are flying a mission and encounter that tree? I am probably going to guess that would be a NO??

I think it would. I read somewhere that it works if setup in the settings. I can't seem to find obstacle avoidance in the app's settings though. Maybe it shows up when it knows what drone it is connected to. But it would ultimately depend which way your camera is facing during flight, at least with the Mavic. Since obstacle avoidance only works out from the nose of the aircraft. I guess from the bottom too.

I think it would. I read somewhere that it works if setup in the settings. I can't seem to find obstacle avoidance in the app's settings though. Maybe it shows up when it knows what drone it is connected to. But it would ultimately depend which way your camera is facing during flight, at least with the Mavic. Since obstacle avoidance only works out from the nose of the aircraft. I guess from the bottom too.

I should had said with flying forward. I normally fly high but lower shots would be cool but flying into say a tree would not. If it would fly around that would be great.

Sorry to drag an old post out of mothballs but I'm hoping for some clarification.
I tried the relative to ground feature the other day and was dismayed to see it set ALL points to the same height above ground.
Dang, that's not what I wanted. I wanted each waypoint to be the specified distance over ground.
I have a mission that goes low in a couple of places for dramatic effect and was hoping to not have to worry about elevation changes since this is hilly territory.
To be clear I want to fly at 150m above ground then in a couple of places swoop down to 75m. I want all the waypoint height values to be relative to that point on the ground.
I guess I'm stuck with Google Earth...

I plan my missions on Google Earth also. Mainly because GE has features not found in Litchi that make it helpful in planning your route. Once in Litchi, I can alter my altitude at any waypoint to drop down or rise as I please. Are you saying you can't change that in Litchi once you import the mission?

No, when I load the mission and edit select all and set them relative to ground it sets ALL of them to the same height.
I would think that it would adjust the waypoint height individually.

You can set the height of each waypoint individually once you have it imported into the Mission Hub. Just click on the waypoint you want to change elevation on, and you can then set it where you want. Did you import the mission into the Litchi Mission Hub yet?

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 8.01.39 PM.jpg

Last edited:
You can set the height of each waypoint individually once you have it imported into the Mission Hub. Just click on the waypoint you want to change elevation on, and you can then set it where you want. Did you import the mission into the Litchi Mission Hub yet?
Yes but then it's just a height and no longer relative to ground.

Yes but then it's just a height and no longer relative to ground.

Yes it is relevant to ground. In this example, when you lower the waypoint and it reaches 0 feet, it's on the ground. Try the slider and watch the elevation on the waypoint. It zeros out to ground level way up on the scale because 0 Ft is the elevation equivalent to where I took off from, which is lower than Waypoint 5.

No, when I load the mission and edit select all and set them relative to ground it sets ALL of them to the same height.
I would think that it would adjust the waypoint height individually.

Right, they're all the same height relative to ground at each waypoint, not from where you took off from. In other words, let's say you set elevation to 100' - Relative to ground, and the terrain rose 100' from waypoint 1 to waypoint 2. Your Mavic will rise 100' to maintain the 100' above ground. But ... Your Mavic will actually be 200' above your take off point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brojon
Yes it is relevant to ground. In this example, when you lower the waypoint and it reaches 0 feet, it's on the ground. Try the slider and watch the elevation on the waypoint. It zeros out to ground level way up on the scale because 0 Ft is the elevation equivalent to where I took off from, which is lower than Waypoint 5.

Right, they're all the same height relative to ground at each waypoint, not from where you took off from. In other words, let's say you set elevation to 100' - Relative to ground, and the terrain rose 100' from waypoint 1 to waypoint 2. Your Mavic will rise 100' to maintain the 100' above ground. But ... Your Mavic will actually be 200' above your take off point.

But what I'm trying to say is I have many different heights I wish to have relative to ground.
As I mentioned I would be flying at say 150m and then descend to 75m at a particular place and fly to the next waypoint then rise back to 150m.
I want all the different heights to be set relative to ground - what's happening now is all waypoints are being set to one height relative to ground.

But what I'm trying to say is I have many different heights I wish to have relative to ground.
As I mentioned I would be flying at say 150m and then descend to 75m at a particular place and fly to the next waypoint then rise back to 150m.
I want all the different heights to be set relative to ground - what's happening now is all waypoints are being set to one height relative to ground.
I think I understand what you're saying. If you want the height above ground to be different from waypoint to waypoint, you can change them individually in the mission on the Hub. If you set the elevation lower on 2 waypoints, your drone will maintain that elevation between those two waypoints, or 3 or however many you set to lower . When I create a mission, I just set the elevation above ground where I want it throughout the entire mission. Then if I want to change elevation at any point, I can do it manually.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian