DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loc8tor tracker location

Jerry

Reactions
Any thoughts on this for a mounting location for Loc8tor? Didn’t ask for re calibration of compass and seemed to make no difference to flying.

b0381ad1f9c2dce479f5ec2c548086f7.jpg

Held on with zip tie.

I don't like this location to be honest, to me it seems like this would cause the drone to be imbalanced, I'd personally try and mount any extra weight as close to the center of gravity as possible (i.e. middle of the drone body), as in order to counteract the extra weight, that motor will be spinning much faster than the other motors.

I don't like this location to be honest, to me it seems like this would cause the drone to be imbalanced, I'd personally try and mount any extra weight as close to the center of gravity as possible (i.e. middle of the drone body), as in order to counteract the extra weight, that motor will be spinning much faster than the other motors.

Hi Tom and thx for the reply. I wasn’t clear, I was more interested in any electronic concerns, I stayed away from middle of body due to compass / sensors etc. Weight is negligible.

My MPP has flown 100% reliably and perfectly level for two years with a Loc8tor in that spot (see photo). My guess is the flight controller easily compensates for this small added weight, which seems minor vs. strong breezes/wind and other forces it senses and manages at each motor.

And FWIW, while I've fortunately never needed to use it, this <$100 Loc8tor still seems to me like one of the most cost-effective investments I've made, having read so many "help me find my drone" threads on this forum. Pro tip 1: Remember to check the disc and remote finder batteries from time to time, before you head out to fly. Pro tip 2: Check eBay for used ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_142712434_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200516_142712434_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy85
My MPP has flown 100% reliably and perfectly level for two years with a Loc8tor in that spot (see photo). My guess is the flight controller easily compensates for this small added weight, which seems minor vs. strong breezes/wind and other forces it senses and manages at each motor.

And FWIW, while I've fortunately never needed to use it, this QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply Kieth, very helpful, and pleased to hear you have used for so long without issues.

Seems like a great idea, spotted on eBay (albeit new) for £70. However...range of only 400ft ? Am I looking at the same thing ? With that range, you could probably see it going down and/or use the DJI-Go find-my-drone app to twitch the props/flash lights & assist recovery ? Happy to stand corrected

Seems like a great idea, spotted on eBay (albeit new) for £70. However...range of only 400ft ? Am I looking at the same thing ? With that range, you could probably see it going down and/or use the DJI-Go find-my-drone app to twitch the props/flash lights & assist recovery ? Happy to stand corrected

Yes it’s the same thing, though I got the tabcat as it has the silicone cases to put the discs in to mount easier, new unused in box but second hand £46.00. 400ft seems about right, I don’t fly too much out of sight generally, though nor do I watch it like a hawk! or massive distances, but if came down in a field of long grass or in a tree for instance I’d perhaps struggle to find, this just gives me added peace of mind. It just adds to dji Go find and visually locating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman