DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for advice from experience with ND/PL filters Freewell or Nisi?

downtoearth

Reactions
Hi All,

I'm about to buy a M2Pro and am looking at which set of filters might be the best to get. I'll be filming in bright sunny conditions alot so am keen to get only a ND/PL filter and from my research I see the best options may be either the Freewell Gear 4-pack ND-PL Filters Bright Collection or NiSi Filter Professional Kit Plus. I like these more than the Polar pro because they both offer the ND/PL 32 and 64 as well, whereas the Polar Pro don't offer a single pack that has the whole ND/PL range.

Anyone who has experience with either or both I'd love to hear from you. thanks:)

Don't know either of the other brands but there is the old saying "you get what you pay for" as well! I've just bought the separate 4 pack of Polar Pro ND 32 and 64 and the PL 32 and 64 which I'm going to need to shoot in HLG where I aim to keep shutter at 1/50 and aperture at f4 constantly.

Hello, I have a M2 Pro and recently purchased the Cinema Series PolarPro ND/PL filters directly from their website. You can custom order a 3, 4 or 6 pack of filters. I purchased six filters ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL and one polarizer without ND. I'm very happy and impressed with both the quality of the filters and the overall packaging they sent as well. The PolarPro Filter user guide that comes with the filters is easy to read for installation and adjustment.
They also included a Pro Tip - "For the most natural looking composition, make sure the reference line is centered on the top for horizontal polarization. Too much polarization can make the scene look unrealistic."

I made a quick comparison video. I'm sorry for the video quality and the panning speed.

Last edited:
I bought PolarPro also. I am more than happy with them and you can customize sets with one of the options available. Like most things, you get what you pay for.
I have never heard of the brands you mention.
I will suggest that you go with straight ND rather that polarized unless you are trying to see into clear water to see subsurface objects. In bright AZ days I use ND16 and ND8 most often, followed by ND32 occasionally and rarely ND4.
Obviously a full set is most flexible, but I suggest starting with what you’ll use most often and add as you desire. Also remember that there is a bigger learning curve for polarized filter use.

Reactions: downtoearth
I'll be filming in bright sunny conditions a lot so am keen to get only a ND/PL filter

You really don't need PL apart from reducing glare from water shots, and perhaps similar reflections from ice, glass, etc.
Using ND/PL filters correctly cuts through that surface reflection of water, which can work great in smooth clear water to see 'into' the water.
The important thing there is 'using correctly' because like on a hand held camera to get them to work properly, they need to be rotated into correct adjustment.
Easy on a hand held camera, but who really wants to take the time to fly a drone back and adjust / fine tune constantly at the beach for example ?
And every time you change direction to the suns position too.

ND filters will do what you ask in control matching of shutter in bright sunny conditions.

Although I have MP not the M2P, I can say the NISI are terrific filters.
I have the 6 pack for my model, and specifically wanted them for the range from ND8 / ND16, up to the higher ND32 and ND64 for outback light and occasional beach sand / strong outback light.
I have tried the C-PL but not a fan with the hassle of adjustment, but I do use it sometimes for almost dark video, it does reduce about 1.5 stops.

On their website I see the more extensive range they now have for the M2P and Air, lots more options with those and mixing up with the kits.
I think the Advance kit would suit most video, but if you really want the ND64 it might be available separately or go to the Professional kit ?

Last edited:
PL is also useful for cloud

Thanks for the tip Chris . . . had a google and found some interesting uses, and things to watch out for.
Polarizer Pitfalls And Quick Tips

Shame they aren't generally more easy to use on a drone.
Maybe one day a smart drone camera can have a PL range that can actually be adjusted in flight, now that would be great !

Reactions: christangey
I do mainly video, so maybe we are more patient!

True, with our use . . . I was comparing to photogs that sit somewhere for days waiting for the perfect conditions for one shot.
Yes, I will try my PL a bit more (it's only a C-PL, so maybe for golden / blue hours), especially at the coast . . . not for a good while though, I'm 2200km from the MP now, and by the time I get it back here to bring it home and after a big trip late May, it'll be a while before local flying is happening.

Saw that one and liked the other day . . . great footage, got similar locations in outback WA last year.
Was trying to guess where yours was shot, but hard, central Oz, I'd have to guess West Macs perhaps ?
Have walked a lot through there, beaut country.

Be in the NT Simpson late May, can't wait to fly it a bit more experienced now . . . it's green up there like you wouldn't believe.
Lots of water too, but we should be able to escape the Birdsville / Eyre Ck areas early on and get past the heap of water coming down still now.

Yes all Central Oz. Which way were you planning to cross the Simpson? Eyre creek might have dropped by then but hard to say, it gets pretty boggy after a flow too, best to call a mate of mine, Don Rowlands at Parks in Birdsville before you go. He'll have a handle on wildflower timings too.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Cheers, we're doing Madigan again this time the hard way :)

Yeah, hate mud, it ruins things mechanical.
If we can't get up past camp 20 (last camp on Eyre Ck) we'll go up the QLD Nat Pk boundary fence, or even Hay River Tk to pick it up.
Adria Downs advised yesterday there is a lot of water coming down Eyre Ck, they aren't sure when it'll hit.
Be a shame though Adria Downs has some fine country in there up to the QLD park area.

We'll check with Don, also Adria Downs and BV info centre, other side Andado and Mt Dare might have feedback too.
East side will be the only issue really though, but we'll get there one way or the other.
Last time I had no filters, video was shockingly 'watercolour' . . . and a few weeks flying experience.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillesdeColombes