DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for some constructive criticism.

Thank you. I do have ND filters on order, ranging from ND4 up to ND1000. I'm definitely looking forward to experimenting with the settings and filters and expanding upon my photography knowledge that I don't have at the moment.:)

Common error I see folks do: ND Filters are designed to create motion blur between frames on a video when your ISO+aperture can't keep the brightness low enough on sunny days to maintain the appropriate shutter speed (more on this later). So if you're looking to shoot some photos it's recommended to remove the filter since with photos you typically want fastest shutter/lowest iso for clean/sharp images. It's a best practice to separate flights between video/photo ops.

ND Filter's are really easy to work with. You simply take the video resolution you plan to record at, 4K @ 24FPS (frames per second), double the video fps to make your shutter speed 1/48. 1080P @ 60 fps would make your shutter speed 1/120. You'll notice that on a sunny day these shutter speeds and the lowest ISO will result in video that's too bright, that's where the ND filters come in.

To really cement in this whole ND filter thing. Filter's are necessary because modern sensors capture images with such little blur that it sometimes creates a skipping look on videos. This is especially true when there is a lot of "fast" movement in a video and every frame has 0 blur. What's happening is that the video is not capturing phases in the movement between frame 1, 2, 3, etc. There's a certain amount of object+time that's missed when something is moving fast and your shutter is open for too short a time. When you lower your shutter speed, you're allowing the shutter to stay open longer and capture more of the movement between frames, thus creating blur. The blur correctly fills in more of the object+time giving it the appearance of smooth motion.

There are instances for video/camera tricks that are different/opposite to the guidance above but that's another subject. :)

There is a shortcut to all of the above...you can create blur in post using Adobe After Effects very easily. Only downside is you're going to spend more time editing videos and may not achieve a "natural" look.

Not me, but a good explanation for using the post method.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prismatic
Older TV's all were interlaced, newer ons will play it as well. When editing videos, any standard Definition (SD) DVD was most likely interlaced and Bottom Field First, HD video's are often Top Field First.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colinhayesroberts