DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking To Film A Boat??

Three_Drives

Reactions
Good evening,

I'm hoping to receive my new m4p in a few days. I live near a marina and would love to do some filiming around the location. In particular I'd like to film the local lifeboat when it is out for training etc. The lifeboat is a Rib style and can travel at 40+ mph. I was wondering could I get some advice on how best to film the boat from launching and under way.? I'd be filming for a pier which will prove clear and safe visibility I'm just unsure which modes to use. My last drone was the phantom from several years ago, so I'm assuming things have moved on considerably since then. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I would start out in normal mode but as the boat speeds up, you may have to use sport mode. Keep an eye on your battery levels. Sport mode depletes the battery faster.

There are a whole boat load of videos on you tube about filming on the water - and with good reason. The downward sensors get confused with water reflection, drones don't float, etc. I would suggest investing some time in watching those videos and keep a healthy respect for the water.

Good evening,

I'm hoping to receive my new m4p in a few days. I live near a marina and would love to do some filiming around the location. In particular I'd like to film the local lifeboat when it is out for training etc. The lifeboat is a Rib style and can travel at 40+ mph. I was wondering could I get some advice on how best to film the boat from launching and under way.? I'd be filming for a pier which will prove clear and safe visibility I'm just unsure which modes to use. My last drone was the phantom from several years ago, so I'm assuming things have moved on considerably since then. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
-if using any kind of tracking stay above 50' or so to avoid water reflections
-keep an eye on sailboats. masts can be >75' sometimes more
-set an RTH height >100' or more if there are buildings
-remember that sport mode turns off obstacle avoidance
-at least in the US, the Coast Guard is part of Homeland Security and needs to be treated like any other law enforcement. It might be smart to check with the boat crew before you start filming. Beyond whether you can legally do it, they may not appreciate someone filming a training exercise where there might be newbies making mistakes. OTOH, they might enjoy the video.

Good luck!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zloalex