DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loosing live video feed after newest firmware update - Mavic 3C and DJI RC 1.13.1

Sublime

Reactions
I updated my DJI RC and drone to the newest available firmware versions before taking a trip last week.

Got a few hours in flying and some nice shots, but started having problems that I haven't experienced before with my M3C and the RC.

The RC looses all video feed to the drone after switching between shooting modes (Video/Photo) a couple of times. The RC however maintains full control over the drone when this happens.
It happened to me twice on two different flights a day apart. One of the flights was high altitude (800m plus) when it happened and you could say my upper lip sweated a bit.
The second time it happened the RC itself completely froze and would not take user input on the display so I had to restart it, while drone was 400m up and barely visible (a speck in the sky and over water)
A nervewrecking minute and a half later after waiting for the RC to restart, the drone was well on its way to Home point and I regained the feed from it.
I am now nervous about flying it again and I certainly won't be switching modes mid air.

Does anyone have a fix for this issue?

Both the RC and the drone had a 256GB memory card installed when this happened, live feed set to 1080 and cache set to on.

I updated my DJI RC and drone to the newest available firmware versions before taking a trip last week.

Got a few hours in flying and some nice shots, but started having problems that I haven't experienced before with my M3C and the RC.

The RC looses all video feed to the drone after switching between shooting modes (Video/Photo) a couple of times. The RC however maintains full control over the drone when this happens.
It happened to me twice on two different flights a day apart. One of the flights was high altitude (800m plus) when it happened and you could say my upper lip sweated a bit.
The second time it happened the RC itself completely froze and would not take user input on the display so I had to restart it, while drone was 400m up and barely visible (a speck in the sky and over water)
A nervewrecking minute and a half later after waiting for the RC to restart, the drone was well on its way to Home point and I regained the feed from it.
I am now nervous about flying it again and I certainly won't be switching modes mid air.

Does anyone have a fix for this issue?

Both the RC and the drone had a 256GB memory card installed when this happened, live feed set to 1080 and cache set to on.

So, the drone operated normally for a few hours of flight time after the firmware update and the update did not immediately trigger a problem. What other things occurred that might have led to the problem?

So, the drone operated normally for a few hours of flight time after the firmware update and the update did not immediately trigger a problem. What other things occurred that might have led to the problem?
1. Updated firmware on RC and Drone to newest version

2. Factory reset the DJI RC and logged in again to change settings for control sticks, buttons and set "Pro" settings for Photo and Video. I also put a 256GB Samsung Pro SD card into the DJI RC and set video stream to 1080 and at 2GB cache.

3. Connected to drone, made it hover for a bit, it was snail drifting to the left so I did all the calibrations on the drone just in case. Let it hover again and made some maneuvers, all fine.

4. Cleared drone flash storage. and packed the drone and accessories into my hardcase.

5. 3 days later I unpacked in the countryside

6. First flight, 37 minutes, Video shooting only, everything went fine.

7. Second flight I was shooting in Video mode. Stopped shooting and switched to Photo mode and took a few shots. Switched back to Video mode and got a frozen video feed. Drone responded to flight control inputs (according to flight log). Was able to back out of camera view on the RC onto the Welcome display on the RC. When opening feed again I just got a black screen from the feed. Pressed RTH and when drone was in visual sight I landed manually.
Restarted both drone and RC and feed came up normally.
RF link was at full strength all the time (CE) and the drone kept recording video even though feed was gone.

8. Third, fourth and fifth flight all ok, stuck to either Photo or video in all those flights along with switching to fullscreen map view and feed did not give any problems.

9. Sixth flight I switched between photo and video mode a few times and the same happened again, lost all video feed from drone. Video froze. This time the RC did not respond to going back to welcome screen. The display was completely frozen, I panicked thinking the drone might flyaway so I restarted the remote, got connected to the drone again and the feed was then just a black screen with no AR RTH icon etc.. I was able to fly it back and land it from map view.

10. 7th and 8th flight, stuck to one shooting mode and all fine.

Neither drone nor RC have ad any accidents and are in mint condition. Problem only started after the firmware update.

1. Updated firmware on RC and Drone to newest version

2. Factory reset the DJI RC and logged in again to change settings for control sticks, buttons and set "Pro" settings for Photo and Video. I also put a 256GB Samsung Pro SD card into the DJI RC and set video stream to 1080 and at 2GB cache.

3. Connected to drone, made it hover for a bit, it was snail drifting to the left so I did all the calibrations on the drone just in case. Let it hover again and made some maneuvers, all fine.

4. Cleared drone flash storage. and packed the drone and accessories into my hardcase.

5. 3 days later I unpacked in the countryside

6. First flight, 37 minutes, Video shooting only, everything went fine.

7. Second flight I was shooting in Video mode. Stopped shooting and switched to Photo mode and took a few shots. Switched back to Video mode and got a frozen video feed. Drone responded to flight control inputs (according to flight log). Was able to back out of camera view on the RC onto the Welcome display on the RC. When opening feed again I just got a black screen from the feed. Pressed RTH and when drone was in visual sight I landed manually.
Restarted both drone and RC and feed came up normally.
RF link was at full strength all the time (CE) and the drone kept recording video even though feed was gone.

8. Third, fourth and fifth flight all ok, stuck to either Photo or video in all those flights along with switching to fullscreen map view and feed did not give any problems.

9. Sixth flight I switched between photo and video mode a few times and the same happened again, lost all video feed from drone. Video froze. This time the RC did not respond to going back to welcome screen. The display was completely frozen, I panicked thinking the drone might flyaway so I restarted the remote, got connected to the drone again and the feed was then just a black screen with no AR RTH icon etc.. I was able to fly it back and land it from map view.

10. 7th and 8th flight, stuck to one shooting mode and all fine.

Neither drone nor RC have ad any accidents and are in mint condition. Problem only started after the firmware update.

Ah.. The problem appeared after two brief flights and one 37-minute flight rather than after "a few hours" of flight.

What you're describing sounds more like an intermittent hardware issue than a firmware issue in the drone or controller. Works sometimes, doesn't work other times. Given that the camera continued to record video, the controller might be the more likely culprit.

Does anyone think there might be useful information in the flight logs?

Ah.. The problem appeared after two brief flights and one 37-minute flight rather than after "a few hours" of flight.

What you're describing sounds more like an intermittent hardware issue than a firmware issue in the drone or controller. Works sometimes, doesn't work other times. Given that the camera continued to record video, the controller might be the more likely culprit.

Does anyone think there might be useful information in the flight logs?
That was what I was thinking as well. I went through the flight logs and everything looked fine (everything in the green, battery behaving correctly etc.

Better yet if anyone running the M3C with the newest FW on DJI RC would care to test in low hover if they get the same problem with an SD card installed with cache on and try switching modes a few times, taking a few shots in each mode, just to rule out if the update might be borked.

That was what I was thinking as well. I went through the flight logs and everything looked fine (everything in the green, battery behaving correctly etc.

Better yet if anyone running the M3C with the newest FW on DJI RC would care to test in low hover if they get the same problem with an SD card installed with cache on and try switching modes a few times, taking a few shots in each mode, just to rule out if the update might be borked.
I doubt seriously if it's a firmware flaw. Otherwise there would have been other reports of problems by now.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing no issues on the Mavic 3 Pro with the new firmware.

Have you tried switching modes while the drone is not in flight? You might want to try that and let the drone idle long enough that it warms up and the cooling fan comes on. The issue might be beat related.

Fixed the problem.
I reset the DJI RC again and went through the initial setup and login with the drone turned on.

The RC asked to update to the same firmware on the drone again.
After the drone rebooted it told me it had an update which was an update for the battery.

One by one I swapped all my 4 batteries and updated them all.
Tested the drone indoors (cause Icelandic weather) extensively by shooting over 150GB switching between modes and playing with all the features on RC going back and forth between them.
Everything working fine now.

Going to try in the air at 80% of range and height it happened the last time and see if it is related to load on the antenna on the RC.

Can anyone tell me what is the best non permanent FCC hack that works on DJI RC?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear