DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost GPS signal

Then we are fortunate that GPS satellites are not geostationary. In any case, geomagnetic conditions have a negligible effect on GNSS signal reception for consumer-grade receivers except, very occasionally, at very high latitudes and very strong solar ejections.
We would hope that most receivers are able to filter out the noise. Generally woth about an S3 or 4 noise floor we are confident in that and your statement is correct however geomagnetic fields are really juat the tip of the iceberg.
The ionosphere hurts receivers more than anything and should conditions be right in terms of solar flares or the magnetic field and the solar winds are also going against us then yes it will degrade performance.
Now that doesn't mean that geostationary devices or receivers are immune. Just the transmissions from the satellite. The solar flares just don't hurt the transmissions further up in the atmosphere so chances of regaining or keeping a signal are better

Thankyou for reviewing the data.
It's situation has really rocked my confidence in both my ability and the crafts.
There is a mobile phone tower about 400 mtrs north of the location. Would this have had an impact on the flight?
At time of launch, the craft was facing east
Perhaps if that tower has microwave capabilities or not?

Here is a quick test as well to see if you have a leaking insulator from overhead power lines or something else. Get an am portable radio and aim at that tower. If there is no degradation or increase in noise walk along the power lines of they are over head.

Reactions: Johnmcl7

I skimmed the article really quick and saw that they outline it very nicely.

They describe a mechanism, but don't quantify it at all. You need to look much deeper than popular news articles if you are going to weigh in on this kind of stuff. I would suggest you take a look at a real study, such as:

Note that the degradation of SF instantaneous solutions even at high latitudes is only a factor of 3 or so up to intense storms, with a larger outlier in the March 2015 super storm. That's not significant for sUAS navigation.

Perhaps if that tower has microwave capabilities or not?

Here is a quick test as well to see if you have a leaking insulator from overhead power lines or something else. Get an am portable radio and aim at that tower. If there is no degradation or increase in noise walk along the power lines of they are over head.
His flight data shows quite clearly what the issue was and it wasn't a loss of GPS reception at all.
There's no need to continue to offer ideas like this.

Again .. the mobile phone tower had zero impact on your flight
The source of the problem was probably closer than a metre away from your Mavic at launch time.

I agree that it was unlikely to be the tower, but this case doesn't have any of the obvious indications of magnetic interference at takeoff. Need the DAT file to be sure though.

The describe a mechanism, but don't quantify it at all. You need to look much deeper than popular news articles if you are going to weigh in on this kind of stuff. I would suggest you take a look at a real study, such as:

Note that the degradation of SF instantaneous solutions even at high latitudes is only a factor of 3 or so up to intense storms, with a larger outlier in the March 2015 super storm. That's not significant for sUAS navigation.
Well I'm done. You guys can finish helping the OP. Apparently many other members here know more than I do about Rf. Good luck

Again .. the mobile phone tower had zero impact on your flight
The source of the problem was probably closer than a metre away from your Mavic at launch time.
Ok.
At launch, the only structures nearby were....
Trees, behind and 30 mtrs away
Metal goal posts. 10 mtrs south
And...
Two guys mowing a cricket pitch. About 50 mtrs away in a south east direction.
There is sewer processing facility 300 mtrs north and some road works 350 mtrs away to the east.

Ok.
At launch, the only structures nearby were....
Trees, behind and 30 mtrs away
Metal goal posts. 10 mtrs south
And...
Two guys mowing a cricket pitch. About 50 mtrs away in a south east direction.
There is sewer processing facility 300 mtrs north and some road works 350 mtrs away to the east.

Can you post the DAT file so that we can stop just guessing what happened?

Rf wasn't the problem.
No but you and the other member were essentially telling me what I said was not true regardless of the problem. That is where I have a problem and to be honest I'm really mad. To sit there and pick and pick "well they didn't quantify" or whatever else was absolutely repulsive and a personal attack. If you two knew about this stuff you would have know more than the things that were posted.

To attack someone in such a manner by calling what they do for a living day after day false is absolutely ridiculous.

I think it's best I delete my new account. Thank you to all that welcomed me but I refuse to be felt as what I know truly is wrong and picked apart. Take care

Reactions: Ex Coelis
This is a strange one. There was a large error in the IMU velocity solution at the end of the flight which caused the FC to switch to ATTI mode. The cause is not clear at all.

View attachment 99416

This will require the mobile device DAT file (or aircraft DAT if the mobile device file isn't available) - filename ending FLY054.DAT.
Ok.
I'll I'll find that file( I assume you mean on the mobile phone that I used).
Then I'll attempt to upload it.....

Reactions: Capt KO
No but you and the other member were essentially telling me what I said was not true regardless of the problem. That is where I have a problem and to be honest I'm really mad. To sit there and pick and pick "well they didn't quantify" or whatever else was absolutely repulsive and a personal attack. If you two knew about this stuff you would have know more than the things that were posted.

To attack someone in such a manner by calling what they do for a living day after day false is absolutely ridiculous.

Refuting your argument by citing the scientific literature was a repulsive personal attack?

When did you conduct this research? Oh that's right you conducted it on google and should you spend any time reading articles or understands RFI in any capacity you'd see

Your comments are making less and less sense. Here's my assessment. If you were really an RF engineer then (a) you would know that a literature search is the standard way to find research articles and (b) you would engage in the technical debate rather than shouting about your job title and trying to hide behind snide comments. And I even pointed you to the relevant data in the article, which should have been a hint that I read it.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harry24