DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic after downloading new update!

All these updated firmware experiences from **** make me want to stay on .400 for the foreseeable future.
Agreed. I advised a friend of mine with a Mavic that hasn't downloaded the new firmware yet to not do it until he knows it's been addressed and fixed by DJI!

Reactions: adiru
Agreed. I advised a friend of mine with a Mavic that hasn't downloaded the new firmware yet to not do it until he knows it's been addressed and fixed by DJI!

What's the best place to monitor firmware update feedback - these forums? DJI's? Any other site?

You got lucky then try flying in the new fixed wind mode and see how that works out for you because that was what I was in when I lost mine. Good luck.

You got lucky then try flying in the new fixed wind mode and see how that works out for you because that was what I was in when I lost mine. Good luck.

Gary,
I think it's too early to rule out pilot error. Posts like these just scare everyone and we don't know exactly what happened without flight logs.

You updated FW and the App? Did you go back to recheck RTH settings etc?

There's millions of things that can wrong.

I've been using the Fixed Wing Mode a lot to go out for distances. It's like cruise control. I've had no issues.

One person has an issue and immediately it's a firmware issue.

If flown 3 batteries since the update without any issues whatsoever, just like the last two updates before that.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie

You didn't mention you were using fixed wing mode in your OP. I hate to be a jerk here but, is it possible you flew FWM and went out a little too far, lost connection and the drone with a low RTH altitude simply flew into the tree you mention?

You said this is the second wrecked one? Either you have horrible luck, or ? I won't say it.

Upload your logs and let's get opinion from the community here.

Gary,
I think it's too early to rule out pilot error. Posts like these just scare everyone and we don't know exactly what happened without flight logs.

You updated FW and the App? Did you go back to recheck RTH settings etc?

There's millions of things that can wrong.

I've been using the Fixed Wing Mode a lot to go out for distances. It's like cruise control. I've had no issues.
I understand what your saying but I had approximately 22 flights prior too this one without incident. And yes my rth was set at 30 meters. I also have flown over this area multiple times and have never even lost video let alone complete loss of connection not to mention I ran towers the Mavic and was within 50 yards of it and it never reconnected. I've lost connection prior to this and I regained connection after it auto returned to home. This time approximately 3-5 minutes it never returned to home nor reconnected as I closed the distance between me and the Mavic. I'm going to upload the flight and hopefully get some more insite on what went wrong because the only controls I used was trying to hit the return to home. That's all I knew to do. My settings are to rth at 30 meters and land on the recorded home point which it did not do obviously. Keep and eye out for my upload tonight I want to know what happened. Thanks

If your Mavic is anything other then full bars reception at 150yrds out with no obstructions, then you have some major issues taking place and need to get it to home point asap.

The only time I have known something like this to take place, is from an android user that has powered the A/C (aircraft) and selected the Auto TakeOff feature with little time in between. This person also did not know the Flat Side of both antennas was suppose to face the A/C at ALL times.

There has been a number of post from those that has been around awhile that give the heads up on being patient with updating firmware. Being patient is allowing a good number of days to go by before upgrading any firmware or app versions once released. If you can't wait, then obviously any such issues you encounter are on you. There will be nobody else to blame but yourself. The season to fly and enjoy your A/C is here now. Nobody wants to waste their time waiting for their A/C to go through the repair, replace, or refurbished process.

Reactions: Terry Davis
I understand what your saying but I had approximately 22 flights prior too this one without incident. And yes my rth was set at 30 meters. I also have flown over this area multiple times and have never even lost video let alone complete loss of connection not to mention I ran towers the Mavic and was within 50 yards of it and it never reconnected. I've lost connection prior to this and I regained connection after it auto returned to home. This time approximately 3-5 minutes it never returned to home nor reconnected as I closed the distance between me and the Mavic. I'm going to upload the flight and hopefully get some more insite on what went wrong because the only controls I used was trying to hit the return to home. That's all I knew to do. My settings are to rth at 30 meters and land on the recorded home point which it did not do obviously. Keep and eye out for my upload tonight I want to know what happened. Thanks

22 flights without incident is pretty irrelevant. It is the one that you lost the Mavic that has any relevance. I have done 90 flights with an odd pilot induced error here and there.

Tomorrow i might do 91 and down she goes, That is the only flight that will matter to me as every other one is history on an SD card.

flight 91 may be pilot error (most likely) or a catastrophic failure within the Mavic (unlikely).

Let the experts see those logs as honestly, mostly the result really is pilot error when lost Mavics are the topic.

some have had Mavic related failures but these are much rarer.

There are an awful lot of Mavics out there with pretty exemplary records on every firmware. One or two or ten posted on here does not make an epidemic.

logs logs logs

If your Mavic is anything other then full bars reception at 150yrds out with no obstructions, then you have some major issues taking place and need to get it to home point asap.

The only time I have known something like this to take place, is from an android user that has powered the A/C (aircraft) and selected the Auto TakeOff feature with little time in between. This person also did not know the Flat Side of both antennas was suppose to face the A/C at ALL times.

There has been a number of post from those that has been around awhile that give the heads up on being patient with updating firmware. Being patient is allowing a good number of days to go by before upgrading any firmware or app versions once released. If you can't wait, then obviously any such issues you encounter are on you. There will be nobody else to blame but yourself. The season to fly and enjoy your A/C is here now. Nobody wants to waste their time waiting for their A/C to go through the repair, replace, or refurbished process.
I did everything you stated in your post and the firmware update was out several weeks before I downloaded it. The antennas were as you specified. This was the first flight with the new update. And I lost it. Nothing I did was close to pilot error. As soon as I lost connection I immediately hit the rth. And this wasn't an auto takeoff nor an android. I have a iPhone 7plus with the latest iOS running. Thanks

I have always updated to the latest firmware when it comes out. Knock on wood, haven't had any issues. After reading all the issues on here, I'm probably over cautious on take off, and do not rush to get airborne, and use an actual printed preflight checklist. Not saying that was the issue on this particular thread, or pointing blame on anyone that crashes or loses a Mavic...just putting out my $.02. I have learned a ton on here. The information on the forum is priceless!

Lost connection at approximately 150 yards on a flight path I've flown a dozen times with no problems until I downloaded the new update firmware. The Mavic was restarted and rth alt. Set. Home set point recorded. But Mavic prematurely did a auto land into the tops of some trees and fell and broke gimbal and rear motor arm. I ran within 50 yards and it still would not reconnect with Mavic. I have flown across our lake and lost connection in the past but after a moment it auto returned to home. I am beside myself on this one. Has anyone had some of the same issues and what was the outcome. Thanks.
Gary,

Nearly the same thing happened to me. About 90sec into my first flight after the update I lost all connection between the RC and my Mavic, and it was over water no less. I freaked out for about another minute or so, tried to move closer, hit RTH, etc. Nothing. Finally I disconnected my phone, turned off the RC and rebooted everything as the drone hovered over the lake- THANKFULLY, it reconnected and I was able to regain control and bring it home. I flew through two full batteries after that with no issues. Was NOT happy though.

Hello. I still running the 4.0 (iphone) since I bought it. Never update. And have been ignored all the warnings for it.
So, if I do not update, could my drone be weird, like missing an function or any bad function I read here?

When must I update it to have no trouble?

How does one revert to older firmware to try and aviod these problems until DJI works them out ? Whist I have had no flying issues at all I have found minor disconnects which have corrected themselves in latter versions of the firmware. I must admit I have been flying since the first Mavic shipment and never (touch wood) had any issues in flight.

Reactions: ZUCSTA
Hello. I still running the 4.0 (iphone) since I bought it. Never update. And have been ignored all the warnings for it.
So, if I do not update, could my drone be weird, like missing an function or any bad function I read here?

When must I update it to have no trouble?
Updates are there for a reason, IF you lose yr Mavic due to a simple Update issue on yr iPhone well you can't really complain. Updates generally allow a more smoother operation of both phone and Drone, also security issues and added components to drone updates are generally made for the most up to date Firmware Updated on yr device , in saying that , it can be worth waiting a week or so to install new firmware , in case of any "Glitches" that need ironing out. But not to update at all is ,for me , too risky and also probably voids any Hope of Warranty claims due to not flying on latest firmware

How does one revert to older firmware to try and aviod these problems until DJI works them out ? Whist I have had no flying issues at all I have found minor disconnects which have corrected themselves in latter versions of the firmware. I must admit I have been flying since the first Mavic shipment and never (touch wood) had any issues in flight.
There is an option on Yr PC to revert back to previous Firmware. You should see it on DJI Developers app

I did everything you stated in your post and the firmware update was out several weeks before I downloaded it. The antennas were as you specified. This was the first flight with the new update. And I lost it. Nothing I did was close to pilot error. As soon as I lost connection I immediately hit the rth. And this wasn't an auto takeoff nor an android. I have a iPhone 7plus with the latest iOS running. Thanks

Were you flying in wifi mode? Other then that, there isn't anything that explains such poor reception.
Did you also update the Remore Controller firmware each time the firmware on the AirCraft was upgraded?

I had the same thing happen to me last week. Luckily I was flying very low because the rc had disconnected once already. Yes the rc not just the video feed. I was able to get get the on board video showing it crash when I retrieved the bird. Note 4

Also note thI'd was b4 this week's update. Contacted dji sending it in and won't fly again because I don't trust it anymore. Good luck. I'll post what my outcome is after.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew