DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost signal; what is supposed to happen

FlynRyanD

Reactions
Ok, so I know this question has likely been answered somewhere else in this DB, but for the sake of time, I will pose it again. I apologize.

I was flying yesterday and was within a few hundred feet of a mile. I decided to push it, and right about a mile, I lost transmission signal and my camera went black. In a panic, I began walking toward the direction of the drone and footage came and went and eventually I was able to get orientated and make my way back to a safe landing. I received no other audible or visual warnings.

My question is, lets say I was unable to gain my camera transmission again. What would/should happen to the drone? Would it simply hover until it ran out of battery? After I reviewed the camera footage and logs, the drone was still responding to my joystick inputs. I just couldn't determine which way I was facing so I could head home.

Any input on this?

Thanks

Ok, so I know this question has likely been answered somewhere else in this DB, but for the sake of time, I will pose it again. I apologize.

I was flying yesterday and was within a few hundred feet of a mile. I decided to push it, and right about a mile, I lost transmission signal and my camera went black. In a panic, I began walking toward the direction of the drone and footage came and went and eventually I was able to get orientated and make my way back to a safe landing. I received no other audible or visual warnings.

My question is, lets say I was unable to gain my camera transmission again. What would/should happen to the drone? Would it simply hover until it ran out of battery? After I reviewed the camera footage and logs, the drone was still responding to my joystick inputs. I just couldn't determine which way I was facing so I could head home.

Any input on this?

Thanks
Wow. Where to start?
First, welcome, and congrats on your purchase.
I strongly recommend that before flying again, you take the time to read the manual. Cover to cover. It's not long and won't take a lot of time. All of what you've asked is in there.
Second, there are two data streams happening when you fly: commands to the A/C, and video back from the A/C. They're completely separate. Of the two, the command channel is much more important. That explains why you lost video but could still control the A/C.
Third, and finally, learn how to fly using the map. If your A/C is a mile away, you sure as heck can't see it. touch the map in the lower right hand of the screen and it will be the main display. You have all the information (heading, distance, altitude, etc) to fly home with no video at all.
Oh, and practice.

Reactions: chadrob30
Yes, please read the manual. It's all there. There is a setting within the GO4 app that you should set that applies to what you would like the drone to do if it looses signal. Make sure it is set to RTH. Make sure your RTH height is always set high enough before each flight. There's some really good YouTube videos about how to set all of this up.

- Always use the map, know where you are. If no visual of the drone, make sure, in the event of a disconnect, where is home so you can bring it back.
- Try to go up, there's a big chance of reconnecting if you're higher.

Have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralph.smith.mckenzie@gmai