DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low visibility

Ralph thompson

Reactions
A first for me yesterday while videoing snow making in an urban park, preparing a toboggan run. The logs stated "low visibility, fly with caution (code 180055)"
I was avoiding getting too close or operating through the spray for the obvious concern of icing, the temperature was -9C. There were no indications of ice on the props afterwards. I've attached a photograph taken around the time of the message but it's interesting that the M3 Classic picked this up. Was it through the obstacle sensors or the camera focusing sensor?

Attachments

• 240112_Winter_104.jpg
    240112_Winter_104.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 65
Thanks Jim, the video was done about 5 minutes later when the message occurred but I followed the same track and altitude.

Thanks RoosArt, it was blustery so when I did the video, more fine mist was blowing around the drone.
Its just that I've never seen that message before and have flown in quite low visibility, fog & mist previously.

I know mine would show good view through camera which is further from the drone internals. I wonder if the drone getting warm might have caused some dew on the sensor which is on the body. Just a thought.

This is why we let our telescopes and other optical devices acclimate when star gazing. From a warm house to cold outside or worse from a cold inside to hot outside. I have noticed in the winter , the haze formed for a few minutes on the camera protector. Never though about the sensors. It is the reason max defrost uses cold AC across the inside of a car windshield. Warm in cold out, makes fog.

A technique used by we folks who live in cold climates and spend a lot of time photographing outdoors on the coldest days of winter, is to put cameras and drones in plastic garbage bags before bringing them indoors. Then leave them unopened for an hour or so to let everything warm up. Result no condensation

This is why we let our telescopes and other optical devices acclimate when star gazing. From a warm house to cold outside or worse from a cold inside to hot outside. I have noticed in the winter , the haze formed for a few minutes on the camera protector. Never though about the sensors. It is the reason max defrost uses cold AC across the inside of a car windshield. Warm in cold out, makes fog.
I taught this stuff to architecture students years ago. Pardon me for resurrecting it, Ignore at will. I'm putting off going outside to finish some landscaping work.

Condensation forms when the air over a surface drops below the dewpoint temperature, which can happen with cooling or humidification. Dewpoint temperature is simply the temperature at which the air is 100% saturated with humidity - 100% relative humidity. Warm air can hold more moisture per pound (absolute humidity) than cool air.

In winter, if you bring a cold-soaked camera from outdoors inside a conditioned building, the cold surfaces can chill the warmer, more humid indoor air below the dewpoint and condensation will form. In summer, if a camera is moved from a cool building interior to the warm, humid outdoors, the same thing occurs. You may also have condensation during winter when the camera is moved from a warm dry interior to a cool, moist outdoors, though not as often. (Absolute humidity, rather than relative humidity)

Ralph Thompson's plastic bag suggestion is a good one. I've done that with drones, cameras, phones, and tablets to let their temperature stabilize before exposing them to our humid coastal air during the air conditioning season. (One fortunate thing with drones is that the downdraft from the rotors very quickly warms the exterior lens sufaces and eliminates the fog on the surface.)

An automobile windshield fogs up on the inside because the glass gets cooled from outside or the people inside exhale and perspire water vapor into the interior air. The defroster system uses the air conditioner to cool interior air down below the dewpoint (100 relative humidity) to condense out water vapor and drain it out the bottom of the car. Then it heats ups that same air so it can hold even more moisture and blows it over the fogged windshield. It boosts the moisture-holding capacity of the defrost air both by directly removing moisture and by raising its temperature.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman