DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P battery and transmission range is amazing

simonr23

Reactions
I've owned a P4, Spark, 2x MP's. this thing has amazing signal strength, latency and battery life. If the camera was sharper, it'd be perfect. obviously would eat into P4P sales though...

I just did a range test flight, in 1/2 suburbia, 1/2 paddocks/fields. i got 7kms and chose to turn back, as i knew i was flying with a tailwind. i got to 7kms with 70% batt remaining. i made it back with 22% left still.

zero signal loss for RC and Video.

P mode, with sensors turned, full power the whole way. i stayed lowish (90m) for the first 3kms, then up to 120m until 5km, then had to increase to 180m as i was heading from a home altitude of 170m, to a hill of around 380m in height and was going to hit it.

it was a 15kmh tailwind/headwind flight. 18m 50sec duration.

i know it's not a record, but this was literally from my front door, with no range boosters, mods, etc. in a CE country too (Australia)

cheers.

Reactions: bobomet and cloneme
I've owned a P4, Spark, 2x MP's. this thing has amazing signal strength, latency and battery life. If the camera was sharper, it'd be perfect. obviously would eat into P4P sales though...

I just did a range test flight, in 1/2 suburbia, 1/2 paddocks/fields. i got 7kms and chose to turn back, as i knew i was flying with a tailwind. i got to 7kms with 70% batt remaining. i made it back with 22% left still.

P mode, with sensors turned, full power the whole way. i stayed lowish (90m) for the first 3kms, then up to 120m until 5km, then had to increase to 180m as i was heading from a home altitude of 170m, to a hill of around 380m in height and was going to hit it.

i know it's not a record, but this was literally from my front door, with no range boosters, mods, etc. in a CE country too (Australia)

cheers.
Well, put the video up!

cheers.
In real use (scenery rather than test charts) you will find the video quality to be a lot better than those grizzling about it might have you believe.

It really is an awesome bit of kit. Whilst I didn’t fly 7km out I put in a 7.5km flight going to various POI’s from my launch site and it was just brilliant.

Rock steady, utterly predictable and just came right on home when asked. That said I had fun chucking the MA up as well and she performed admirably too - both brilliant things :)

I honestly don’t know the acronyms words(only know consumer electronic device)

But it pertains to regulations of wireless transmission rules and regulations. It means that the various systems in a local environment are able to cohabit and interact(or not) nicely. Television, mobile phone, wifi, uhf/vhf radios, wireless internet, etc.

In our case of drone usage, it limits how much power the transmitter can ‘pump out’ and more power means more range(simply put)

FCC has more power on 2.4 and 5.8 than CE models. Quite a bit more for one of them, too(I forget which)

Last edited:
beat it further tonight. 7.5km each way. terrible wind though. was a head/side wind on the way out and a slight tail/major side on way back.

again all standard and up to date software. trees in the way where i was standing, small hill between me and the quad, but was far more 'country' rather than urban. so less electronic interference.

again zero signal loss. did get down to 2 bars a couple of times, but each time it re-adjusted and went back to 3 bars.

with better wind, i can see 8km each way being definitely doable, and not just in ideal 'goldilocks' conditions.

cheers.
Records are not important, but what is important is you folks testing this and posting the results you're getting. I fly strictly for the photos and videos I get for clients. I'm often jittery about the distances I have to push my M2P to get a specific angle on a subject - and that's often only 3/4km (I know ... laugh out loud ... but I like to hear my spotter say they can see it without binoculars). After reading this, I'm ready to relax a bit and go for something big.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, my drone is possessed. 8.5km each way and I chose to turn back again. Again zero signal loss. 27 degrees Celsius. 10-20kph headwind/tailwind(well as close as practicable)

Staggeringly impressed by its radio capabilities.

Having rewatched P4/MP/M2P vids back to back, I am underwhelmed by this part of it. Not convinced it makes better quality video. This is after applying skygrades natural LUT and ensuring exposure was decent on the M2P and just the normal outputs from the other 2.

Still shots are great though- and noticeably better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Less