DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Made the wrong decision!

Depending on your resources, consider buying the 2 Pro camera (camera only). Then swap out as needed.
Are the gimbals on the Zoom and 2 Pro the same?

Dave :)

I have had both since they were released and recently sold the Hasselblad since I noticed that I was grabbing the Zoom every day and the Hasselblad got a layer of dust. I have 4k screens for viewing footage and personally do not see a difference in one having a crisper or more detailed picture. I have questioned others that watch and they all concur. They both have stunningly clear playback and stills. I also use the latest micro SD cards out that are available which might make a difference too... Anyways enjoy the Mavic Pro and don't be afraid to use that beautiful machine!!!

Reactions: 747P4 and Dan Lee
When I ordered my M2z I was torn between that and the pro however the zoom is the right decision for me. No way would I trade for the pro as the z is so much more useable. The zoom feature is a winner and the image quality is just as good as my MA. For me the M2P would be a downgrade. You may wish to rethink your idea.

I suppose it’s my background as a retired professional photographer and I think I would miss the better video and stills quality of the 2 Pro. Not that it’s relevant but I still have my collection of Hasselblad cameras and lenses!

I suppose it’s my background as a retired professional photographer and I think I would miss the better video and stills quality of the 2 Pro. Not that it’s relevant but I still have my collection of Hasselblad cameras and lenses!

Since Hasselblad never made lenses, only cameras, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. The question should be: what sort of a lens does the Pro 2 have? Early 'Blads had Kodak lenses, later ones had Carl Zeiss lenses. This so-called "Hasselblad" may be nothing more than a software upgrade with DJI purchasing naming rights from whoever owns the Company's assets at this time.

either return it or order yourself a pro camera gimbal. i ordered pro mavic and then bought zoom gimbal. just hope it will arrive alive and in the working state.
and i hope very much that in the future the infrared camera will also be hacked to work on this pro model as well, as i think the rest of humanity in less prosperous countries will never be shelling out $2600 for something you can buy for $1200. or less. the hardware is same, so, i hope it is just a matter of time for firmware to be hacked and adjusted to work across all those models.
where did you buy the gimbal?

Where is everyone getting their gimbal cameras? I’d like to swap to a zoom for some trips but would prefer the pro most of the time.

Reactions: DagDerniT
OP, whereabouts are you located?
Hi,

I think you asked me a while ago to post what will transpire about that camera i ordered from the alibaba -
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
if it was not you, i am very sorry, but, saw this thread and decided to update here.

so, it did arrive, finally, today, in a simple white styrofoam box wrapped around with some tape. it is a miracle it was not smashed. packaging suggests it was probably stolen from the plant, i think - as gimbal came wrapped into 3 layers of loose bubble wrap taped around, with nothing else inside at all, only the part itself, gimbal assembly with a gimbal protector. also, an interesting detail - it had protective film on the back of the camera, but, did not have it on the lens filter. cannot tell if it is a new or refurbished, but, it seems to still smell plastic, so, who knows.
other detail - just looked at that ebay link above. not gonna repeat what in there - on mine, on the connector cord, upper model name goes the same as 'PF000012.10' but lower it says 'KW 18441'. not what on that ebay listing. what it means - no clue.

i just swapped it out, played with it, and mounted original hasselblad camera back. everything works fine, it demanded firmware update and received it. zoom worked, upon connection phone automatically swapped out 'pro' in the model name with 'zoom'.
i have to say i am incredibly happy i ordered 'pro' instead of this zoom. i would hardly spent $600 from a shady store in china to gamble with such replacement, but, $250 was not a deal braker and now i have 2 versions of the craft in one.
just, so would everybody know - it is indeed simple operation, but, it is obvious that it was not intended to be a repeatable routine. why they did not do it in a hot swap mount is an another topic, but, it is what it is.

what i also wonder about - do you use a torque wrench to take those mavics apart? i work on my custom drones all the time using similar small bolts but by the feel it felt here so flimsy, how those bolts came out and went in - i was very careful not to over tight, but, i just wonder, are there any official numbers of what torque should be used to tighten them back? when i took them out it was if like they were hardly tightened at all.

PS. taking to consideration recent news about DJI inside corruption - if the $252 is an actual supplier`s price of this part that officially retails for $460 here - then whole mavic 2 pro should have costed around $800 top. just thinking out-loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Professional photographer but you don’t know how to do a return?

The answer to that is simple. I worked for 30 years as an in-house photographer for a massive nationalised industry in the UK. Hence “returns” was never part of my vocabulary. I hope that answers your question.

Reactions: Numone
Since DJI have owned a majority stake in Hasselblad for 2 or so years the name means nothing any longer. It's just an exercise in badge engineering.

The Mavic 2 Zoom (which I own) is the only R.P.A. for less than 3 times that asking price with an optical zoom function. I've found it invaluable. it however is a rolling software shutter causing image distortion at speed and barrel effect which while that can be corrected in post the distortion of straight objects photographed at speed can not be.

The Mavic 2 Pro has the same limitation of the rolling software shutter as well as a further controversy ongoing that it crops the sensor image and either pixel bins or line skips in it's operation. You are certainly not getting the full use of your 1" sensor. DJI have simply admitted that they use "advanced image sampling techniques" to make the best out of the hardware. There are various theories as to why this has been done from sensor overheating in the small housing to inability of the image processor to handle the stream. It does have a very rich hue as the tones are purposely over saturated which makes the images very vibrant but a little soft.

Don't get me wrong, the M2P is one of the two finest compact R.P.A. in the world today along with the Zoom and the average pilot who wants to image and publish online without any post production will LOVE it.

Technically the best camera at that price point is still the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 with it's one inch Sony sensor and hardware shutter. It manages twice the frame rate in video modes and full 3:2 4K not the cinematic 4K of the M2P. The raw shots from the Phantom tend to be less saturated and less vibrant than the M2P but this is easily sorted in Post which I expect would be easy meat for a professional photographer.

This is why I own the Mavic 2 Zoom and the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 so as to have the best of both worlds. I can assure you as a commercial operator when asked to do aerial mapping and photogrammetry it is always the P4P that is considered the benchmark at that price point and specified by the customer not the M2P.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Hi,

I think you asked me a while ago to post what will transpire about that camera i ordered from the alibaba -
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
if it was not you, i am very sorry, but, saw this thread and decided to update here.

so, it did arrive, finally, today, in a simple white styrofoam box wrapped around with some tape. it is a miracle it was not smashed. packaging suggests it was probably stolen from the plant, i think - as gimbal came wrapped into 3 layers of loose bubble wrap taped around, with nothing else inside at all, only the part itself, gimbal assembly with a gimbal protector. also, an interesting detail - it had protective film on the back of the camera, but, did not have it on the lens filter. cannot tell if it is a new or refurbished, but, it seems to still smell plastic, so, who knows.
other detail - just looked at that ebay link above. not gonna repeat what in there - on mine, on the connector cord, upper model name goes the same as 'PF000012.10' but lower it says 'KW 18441'. not what on that ebay listing. what it means - no clue.

i just swapped it out, played with it, and mounted original hasselblad camera back. everything works fine, it demanded firmware update and received it. zoom worked, upon connection phone automatically swapped out 'pro' in the model name with 'zoom'.
i have to say i am incredibly happy i ordered 'pro' instead of this zoom. i would hardly spent $600 from a shady store in china to gamble with such replacement, but, $250 was not a deal braker and now i have 2 versions of the craft in one.
just, so would everybody know - it is indeed simple operation, but, it is obvious that it was not intended to be a repeatable routine. why they did not do it in a hot swap mount is an another topic, but, it is what it is.

what i also wonder about - do you use a torque wrench to take those mavics apart? i work on my custom drones all the time using similar small bolts but by the feel it felt here so flimsy, how those bolts came out and went in - i was very careful not to over tight, but, i just wonder, are there any official numbers of what torque should be used to tighten them back? when i took them out it was if like they were hardly tightened at all.

PS. taking to consideration recent news about DJI inside corruption - if the $252 is an actual supplier`s price of this part that officially retails for $460 here - then whole mavic 2 pro should have costed around $800 top. just thinking out-loud.

Yes I use a Torx, but if the screw starts to strip, I sometimes have to switch to a hex or flathead.

When I ordered my M2z I was torn between that and the pro however the zoom is the right decision for me. No way would I trade for the pro as the z is so much more useable. The zoom feature is a winner and the image quality is just as good as my MA. For me the M2P would be a downgrade. You may wish to rethink your idea.

For video, I may agree, but for still photos which is likely important to the OP, the M2P is certainly not a downgrade. Quite the opposite I would say.

I am NO expert on videography or photography but I have been editing images in Photoshop for at least two decades to include hundreds of stills and dozens of videos with my M1. I don't have near as many images or videos from the M2P yet but I can state without equivocation that the M2P camera is a giant leap in quality from the M1 in both video and stills. There's simply no comparison and for those who think otherwise, my guess is, they haven't found the right settings yet.

Reactions: fozzzy
Since Hasselblad never made lenses, only cameras, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. The question should be: what sort of a lens does the Pro 2 have? Early 'Blads had Kodak lenses, later ones had Carl Zeiss lenses. This so-called "Hasselblad" may be nothing more than a software upgrade with DJI purchasing naming rights from whoever owns the Company's assets at this time.

Hasselblad also doesn't make the sensors, so they didn't really make the most important part of their cameras either ;) That isn't unusual in the camera world though. Fujinon actually made Hasselblad lenses too.

I think it's well known that the only Hasselblad hardware on the M2P is the sticker on the front. The sensor is a common Sony IMX183 and the lens is a custom DJI design. Hasselblad themselves is also well known for re-branding existing consumer-grade cameras (Sony Nex7, A7R, RX100, etc.) and selling them for hilarious premiums. Hardware is not really their specialty, but that isn't too unusual in the photography world as nobody makes everything in-house except for Sony these days.

Reactions: Elude
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d