DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mag Interference

Costa Rica Guy

Reactions
My control module continues to repeat the message.." Mag interference / Check App" . I have calibrated my compass according to the instructions, including rotating drone counter clockwise, and yet I still get the red banner in upper left corner saying compass needs calibration. I am also told that I have weak GPS and since aircraft is in Attitude mode hovering may be unstable. When you add that I am a very rookie pilot with one crash under my belt...I am scared s***less to do anything other than hover 4 feet off the ground and practice my control skills. If not for this page I would have given up on this drone flying thing a while ago. You guys are GREAT. Because I live in Costa Rica I decided to "Over buy" a drone and work my way into it rather than get something simple and grow out of it quickly and NOT be able to upgrade.

I'm new to the Mavic too and see this a lot in my practice area outside my house which is 1) metal roofed and 2) paralleling a set of utility lines of varying voltages. It comes and goes but is typically present when close in to the house and there's another "blob" of interference about 20 meters up between the house and the power lines. What kind of area are you trying to fly in? Metal construction or reinforced concrete can play havoc with a compass. Underground water pipes (the old kind) are also magnetic field traps. Try walking your drone around the area you're flying in and see if there are any interference-free pockets.

Have you tried a completely different location? Go find an open field and try it out.

I did that a few hours ago. The compass still won't calibrate and I keep getting "check app" on control module.Even scarier was having it hover at about 30 feet and when I hit return home it started flying around in wide circles. If it had not been an open space it would have hit something.....already happened once.

There seem to be a number of threads on this Mag interference / Check App error with solutions ranging from calibrating with the legs unfolded to firmware updates to loose cables (or two cables). Before you send it back to DJI you might want to browse through those and see if anything fits your symptoms.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Do you have any after market accessories? Is there a pipeline for gas or oil in the ground? I have had that good ol oil pipe one come up one time. Never knew it was there until leaving and saw a sign. Caution underground pipe in vicinity. Would explain the bald patch with no trees in the forest.
Any tracking device on the mavic ?
High iron content in soil?

Do you have any after market accessories? Is there a pipeline for gas or oil in the ground? I have had that good ol oil pipe one come up one time. Never knew it was there until leaving and saw a sign. Caution underground pipe in vicinity. Would explain the bald patch with no trees in the forest.
Any tracking device on the mavic ?
High iron content in soil?

No after market devices or tracking devices. I live by the beach and have tried different spots with same result. Drone DID have a crash which required replacing one leg. It is less than one month old

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
56cbr600rr