DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic interference in a vessel

Gidday Lopez, I'm in the same boat as you, 20mtr steel trawler with full red compus erra bars all over the show, except from one sweet spot over a alloy hatch reading compus as ok/good, problem is theres a large steel gantry 2 meters from this position. I'm wondering how much compus eara you have during takeoff... you must have some great footage taking the risk

Gidday Lopez, I'm in the same boat as you, 20mtr steel trawler with full red compus erra bars all over the show, except from one sweet spot over a alloy hatch reading compus as ok/good, problem is theres a large steel gantry 2 meters from this position. I'm wondering how much compus eara you have during takeoff... you must have some great footage taking the risk
Any time you place the drone on a steel surface it will show a compass error.
You need to launch from somewhere that isn't sitting on the steel.

Reactions: Former Member
Thanks everyone! Really helping information going on in here, thanks again.

Sar, thats an interesting point and would be nice to experiment what happens taking off in ATTI mode with a wrong compass and then switching to P-GPS. By the way, what version of firmware/Assist are you using?

Lopez, that's a nice boat. How severe is your compass anomaly when taking off? Do you have any issues with the radar, do you switch it off? The thing is the one I'm saliling in is full of electronic equipments and have 2 radars, don't know of that could make a difference. I've been reading a lot today in this forum and found some people having issues when flying from vessels.

We have a lot of experience taking off on different types of magnetic fields with the Phantom 4 and I believe it applies to the Mavics also.

One thing to understand that once the Magnetic Interference has shown up on your controller , just because the message dissappears does not mean that the drone has not been fully compromised meaning that you could loose GPS mode and enter Atti mode but with several yaw errors which is indiciative of loss of control on your drone , and being that you are on the boat the drone sinks in the water.

I recommend you simply stay the course with GPS hand launch , watch the controller for warnings and not the drone as it lifts and hover about 3 minutes. If its going to break GPS its going to happen within a few minutes of just the hover..

I posted this video of a Pier off of the Lake, that has caused me much trouble as no matter how I launch from it I cannot get past the Magnetic Field , I have tried a step ladder to hand launch from that pier and still no joy.

You can see me switching in and out of modes, but that drone is not moving as the only way it will fly is vertical .

Because the drone only has the ability to go up I could have lost the drone quickly into the lake.

I have a lot Magnetic Interference videos but this one most closely relates to flying off a ship.

Approved Vendor :
Phantomrain.org

Reactions: DanielMavicPro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos