Join Us Now

Magnetic Interference In The City And NFZ Border

• Thread starter Former Member6292019
  • Start date
F

Former Member6292019

View media item 1158
Good afternoon,

In quite the conundrum - thought I'd ask for some insight.

I am Parts 107 certified. I have approval from building owner to fly in this downtown area. However the other day when I tried I was met with a few obstacles.

Magnetic interference everywhere
Since I am in a downtown area with buildings galore is it just a fact of life that there will be mag interference most everywhere? From the other reading I have done it seems the solution is to find an open area in the city, calibrate the compass, and then go to the site? I almost experienced a crash because after launch the mavic started drifting due to poor calibration I believe. As well say I calibrate the compass and then fly into an area with lots of magnetic interference, will the compass become uncalibrated? Fly aways? Side note: has anyone noticed from the last few updates there is interference in much more places, this may just be due to me flying more in urban areas. But I've had weird things where I have tons of interference when launching from the ground, but if I put the mavic on a bench it is just fine. Seems very odd.

Flying on an NFZ border
Seen in the attached image, the mission is along a NFZ border (class B airspace). Since I have approval from building owner and the special use airspace of flying under 200 ft is okay, am I allowed to fly here? What happens when the mavic flys along/into a NFZ? Does it just stand still or RTH -- that would be awful with all the buildings around. I was very anxious to be near a NFZ because of this. I feel that flying ~100 feet into the NFZ shouldn't be the worse thing in the world.

Thanks for the help guys!

Mag interference:
You have to differentiate between calibration and interference. The compass can be calibrated (usually this has to be done only once) and still get bad readings from interference coming from metal in the ground, power lines and other magnetic sources.
If you still have a good GPS reception this should not be too bad. But there is not much you can do about it other than staying away from metal.

NFZ: Don't know what will happen, but it it is always recommend to set the RTH altitude higher than the highest obstacles around. The Mavic will rise up and then have a clear path until it is right above your head. This is also a good idea since the signal can drop out easily in cities with all their obstructions and WiFi sources.

There may be metal in the ground or power lines underneath causing interference. Launching from elevated non metallic surface should help.

If you happen to stray into a NFZ, after not heeding warnings, the Mavic will reduce power, land and shut off motors.

View media item 1158
Good afternoon,

In quite the conundrum - thought I'd ask for some insight.

I am Parts 107 certified. I have approval from building owner to fly in this downtown area. However the other day when I tried I was met with a few obstacles.

Magnetic interference everywhere
Since I am in a downtown area with buildings galore is it just a fact of life that there will be mag interference most everywhere? From the other reading I have done it seems the solution is to find an open area in the city, calibrate the compass, and then go to the site? I almost experienced a crash because after launch the mavic started drifting due to poor calibration I believe. As well say I calibrate the compass and then fly into an area with lots of magnetic interference, will the compass become uncalibrated? Fly aways? Side note: has anyone noticed from the last few updates there is interference in much more places, this may just be due to me flying more in urban areas. But I've had weird things where I have tons of interference when launching from the ground, but if I put the mavic on a bench it is just fine. Seems very odd.

Flying on an NFZ border
Seen in the attached image, the mission is along a NFZ border (class B airspace). Since I have approval from building owner and the special use airspace of flying under 200 ft is okay, am I allowed to fly here? What happens when the mavic flys along/into a NFZ? Does it just stand still or RTH -- that would be awful with all the buildings around. I was very anxious to be near a NFZ because of this. I feel that flying ~100 feet into the NFZ shouldn't be the worse thing in the world.

Thanks for the help guys!
my friend when I started to fly with mavic after few days I had the brilliant idea to take off from a hutch on the ground cause it was the only "clean" spot in that field (lol) needless to say that even though I checked all parameters, few seconds after takeoff mavic went totally crazy and I was just so so lucky that at the end of this insane drifting it didn't end in water or by hitting anything.. consider carefully the take off point!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu