DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

making a turn while filming

Anjulis

Reactions
Is there an easy way to fly toward an object, say a tree, make a full or half-turn around it (not above it), while keeping it in the center of screen and fly away?. I am aware of POI existence but it involves stopping and setting it up so it will not do.

Hate to tell ya but it's called stick practice . :)

:)

Ahh yes, the coveted dolly shot. An option here is to use something like 'drone harmony mission planner'. You can create a flight path to have the drone follow, by flying it and taking photos to create waypoints. The app will then apply smoothing to the chain of waypoints. The skill required here is to understand how the app will draw a smoothed path through your chosen waypoints. I recommend staring out cautiously with lots of space, as the path created might surprise you.

Litchi is what you want for this and it does much more. I also think it's worth having another option for flight other than DJIgo. Many here use Litchi almost exclusively.

First practice manually circling while keeping the camera on your subject.
Basically both sticks outwards or both inwards, watching the screen to keep things in place.
The transition from forward flight to circling can be done but keeping it smooth is difficult to do reliably.
Unless you get it almost perfect it's usually best to just cut into your arc sequence.

Is there an easy way to fly toward an object, say a tree, make a full or half-turn around it (not above it), while keeping it in the center of screen and fly away?. I am aware of POI existence but it involves stopping and setting it up so it will not do.
Very difficult to do smoothly. I'm a 300 hour guy, and I doubt I could pull it off manually in a way that would yield results I'd find satisfying. This is why drones used in the cinematography world have two operators, and a camera that yaws independently of the drone.

I haven't tried Litchi, though I've heard a lot of good things about it. But I suspect that you'd be better served by an Inspire for this kind of shot.

This is in no way directed towards the OP, but here in lies the difference between someone operating a drone and someone piloting a drone. Anyone can operate a drone, but it takes practice and skill to pilot a drone and get really smooth camera shots.

This is in no way directed towards the OP, but here in lies the difference between someone operating a drone and someone piloting a drone. Anyone can operate a drone, but it takes practice and skill to pilot a drone and get really smooth camera shots.
Yup, stick practice . ;)

Reactions: Kilrah

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trubbaman