DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Making the UGLY Something Special !

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Winter is Coming! And it can offer some really UGLY days of flying in what just seems BLEAK and MISERABLE - but don't be fooled!

I took this picture , it was ugly in every sense of the word: Freezing Cold , a dead void of colorless reality , but behind the UGLY, is the Mystery of capturing an amazing picture .

This was a Super Size 48 Megapixel taken with the Lonely Air 2 in below freezing weather. This would be the picture that changed my reality of what and where beauty truly lies.

This was captured in freezing temps, 20 mph winds, and extremely low lighting.
These type of pictures only need a minute of editing to bring your Frankenstein pictures to life!

Screenshot 02-17-2021 15.11.11.jpg

This crop was hiding in the bleakness and it just needed 10 seconds of editing to bring it to life. This helped me quickly realize the potential that every picture might have. Every storm, whether snow or rain - offered new potential to capture something amazing.

Screenshot 02-17-2021 15.12.46.jpg

Zooming in closer these frigid, frosted plants become a work of art.

Screenshot 02-19-2021 17.29.47.jpg

Once I saw how much Beatuy was really there , everything changed from that day forward.

Now Capturing the Storm Clouds was as exciting as the Lightning Pictures I was so addicted to.

This was captured in the Pouring Rain , you can see the Rain walls , and it was Ugly outside but the Beauty was there.

screenshot_41.jpg

My advice to you is Capture the UGLY an Post it here and lets see if it can be brought to life.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Capture the UGLY.

Last edited:
Awesome photos

Winter is Coming! And it can offer some really UGLY days of flying in what just seems BLEAK and MISERABLE - but don't be fooled!

I took this picture , it was ugly in every sense of the word: Freezing Cold , a dead void of colorless reality , but behind the UGLY, is the Mystery of capturing an amazing picture .

This was a Super Size 48 Megapixel taken with the Lonely Air 2 in below freezing weather. This would be the picture that changed my reality of what and where beauty truly lies.

This was captured in freezing temps, 20 mph winds, and extremely low lighting.
These type of pictures only need a minute of editing to bring your Frankenstein pictures to life!

View attachment 168215

This crop was hiding in the bleakness and it just needed 10 seconds of editing to bring it to life. This helped me quickly realize the potential that every picture might have. Every storm, whether snow or rain - offered new potential to capture something amazing.

View attachment 168216

Zooming in closer these frigid, frosted plants become a work of art.

View attachment 168217

Once I saw how much Beatuy was really there , everything changed from that day forward.

Now Capturing the Storm Clouds was as exciting as the Lightning Pictures I was so addicted to.

This was captured in the Pouring Rain , you can see the Rain walls , and it was Ugly outside but the Beauty was there.

View attachment 168224

My advice to you is Capture the UGLY an Post it here and lets see if it can be brought to life.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Capture the UGLY.
Cole:
MY advise is to go even further! Using Photoshop masking tools I was able to edit every isolated part of this image. I first used the gradient tool from bottom up to mask the foreground and open it up for details. I used the sky tool to accentuate the angry clouds. Here is a before (original, and edited with masking tools version). I am sure you will not like the bright foreground but I do. The edited version tells a story of a peaceful village about to get walloped by a big storm!

Comments welcomed.

Dale
Miami
Original.jpgEdited version.jpg

I feel the Original is much more Authenic as to what the Day looked like and for me that is a Critical Part of my work.

You also forget that when you have a smaller picture , it will seem darker than it really is and when you look at the larger image or Print you will find that your Lighter Landsape will wash out , where as my orignal picture will come to life.

An Example of this : Mind blowing
here is the house at the bottom of the Picture which you can barely see .

mini house in storm.jpg

Be careful not to over edit as you can lose depth , and contrast can be too much and the viewer's mind can switch to what they're seeing as fake, and with Nature pictues you have to be Careful of that.

You will notice immediately that my picture shows the actual Rain Storm I flew in and it was pouring rain to get that shot, and your picture looks like it was a nice sunny day, which changes the entire scope of shooting on an ugly day.

The real problem of over editing is the PRINT WORK, this is where if you have gone too far, the picture will wash out and you will lose detail. even now you can see how much cleaner the Rain Wall is in the Orginal where as the Over Edited version has lost so much detail that it looks like fog and not rain.

In the end over editing is the Crime of Passion , lol

Here is a Crop of the Actual Picture an the Rain Wall notice it appears much lighter with lot more depth . Try to shoot with 3x zoom at all times if possible.

Crop of the Rain wall. .jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, Capture the Ugly.

Last edited:
I feel the Original is much more Authenic as to what the Day looked like and for me that is a Critical Part of my work.

You also forget that when you have a smaller picture , it will seem darker than it really is and when you look at the larger image or Print you will find that your Lighter Landsape will wash out , where as my orignal picture will come to life.

An Example of this : Mind blowing
here is the house at the bottom of the Picture which you can barely see .

View attachment 168231

Be careful not to over edit as you can lose depth , and contrast can be too much and the viewer's mind can switch to what they're seeing as fake, and with Nature pictues you have to be Careful of that.

You will notice immediately that my picture shows the actual Rain Storm I flew in and it was pouring rain to get that shot, and your picture looks like it was a nice sunny day, which changes the entire scope of shooting on an ugly day.

The real problem of over editing is the PRINT WORK, this is where if you have gone too far, the picture will wash out and you will lose detail. even now you can see how much cleaner the Rain Wall is in the Orginal where as the Over Edited version has lost so much detail that it looks like fog and not rain.

In the end over editing is the Crime of Passion , lol

Here is a Crop of the Actual Picture an the Rain Wall notice it appears much lighter with lot more depth . Try to shoot with 3x zoom at all times if possible.

View attachment 168230

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, Capture the Ugly.
I definitely see your point but how can you just not even show that there are many trees and structures in the lower left 25% of the image that are in total blackness and blocked out in the original image? The best thing about RAW images are that you can recover details in the shadows like the lower left 1/4 of the image that are blacked out.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I definitely see your point but how can you just not even show that there are many trees and structures in the lower left 25% of the image that are in total blackness and blocked out in the original image? The best thing about RAW images are that you can recover details in the shadows like the lower left 1/4 of the image that are blacked out.
When you expand the Picture , all that blackness come into details that is why I Posted the Crop as to show what looks like it may be entirely to dark , gets much lighter when you look at the full Resolution of the Picture but it really makes a difference when you go to print.

Print work is very tricky because what happens is you print out your Edited version but when it prints you see the wicked ways of to much editing but your right you can recover shawdows if they do not show up in the actual image for a smaller showing of your work, .

A better example of this is : When it goes to print , even though you lightened the landscape , the details are not there so because of that , it brings into Focus the trees that are not really meant to be shown because there is not enough details to make them look clean.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne