DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 fragile Micro USB side port

@dirkclod fyi, if you get it, and charge your controller, when you want to remove the cable, dont pull it, the piece inside the controller will come out, the magnet is very strong. Twist the connector on the cable downwards, like you want to break something of.
Excellent info. Thank you.

The side port is a standard micro-USB A which is the proper type for how its mostly used. After all, the alternate full sized USB on the front is type A as well.
Granted it isn't common for a device to need or have an A form factor but still a standard.
Micro-usb A socket can accommodate micro-usb B plug if the device can use it that way, though you do have to be careful.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Im too lazy to go back through the thread, but a another alternative to a magnetic cable is reversible USB cable. It also works wonders and wont allow you to insert the cable the wrong way.

Three pack for $9.99. Ive been using them almost a year and have not had a single problem with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV1LEIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Okay, I can sometimes believe in Magic.... But how can the smaller end be reversible? Wouldn't they be too thick to fit inside the socket? And isn't there a correct order or pins/connectors carrying whatever - power or data, so inverting it confuses things? I looked at their images and my own usb micro b and am baffled by the FITTING issues. But I do believe you.

How do you fit a hexagon plug into a trapezoid socket? (g)

Okay, I can sometimes believe in Magic.... But how can the smaller end be reversible? Wouldn't they be too thick to fit inside the socket? And isn't there a correct order or pins/connectors carrying whatever - power or data, so inverting it confuses things? I looked at their images and my own usb micro b and am baffled by the FITTING issues. But I do believe you.

How do you fit a hexagon plug into a trapezoid socket? (g)

That is EXACTLY what I was saying when I first saw people using them. I thought for sure they were on drugs (the good kind), but after I ordered the cables, I saw it clearly.

The hexagonal cable end is smaller than the trapezoidal USB female. The points at the end of the hexagonal cable are smaller than the ends of the USB, so it simply fits snugly inside. I also always thought that the standard Micro Usb tongue was vertically offset, but I was wrong. Its just the surrounding plastic make it look offset but it's not.

Another unbelievable feature is that the USB 2 end of the cable is ALSO reversible. How do they do it? I think the better question is, why dont they all do it???!

So Rob would you recommend the reversible connectors or the magnetic ones?

Ok heres the rub. The magnetic cables are best for charging ONLY. I can't overemphasize that. But they are so simple, its crazy not to use them. Just plug it in one time, then never have to fiddle with that pesky Micro Usb again until you are ready to buy a Mavic 3.

The red universal cables are good for both charging AND data. They come in 3 lengths so you can choose the length thats right for your mission.

Personally, I keep the magnetic one plugged in to my controller, and plug the red one plugged into the bottom USB on the controller. The GREAT thing is that the red cable is also universal on the USB 2 end, so there is no wrong way to plug it in.

I love innovation, and since I replace a few ports a week for customers, I felt the need to share this one.

Reactions: E92Vancouver
That is EXACTLY what I was saying when I first saw people using them. I thought for sure they were on drugs (the good kind), but after I ordered the cables, I saw it clearly.

The hexagonal cable end is smaller than the trapezoidal USB female. The points at the end of the hexagonal cable are smaller than the ends of the USB, so it simply fits snugly inside. I also always thought that the standard Micro Usb tongue was vertically offset, but I was wrong. Its just the surrounding plastic make it look offset but it's not.

Another unbelievable feature is that the USB 2 end of the cable is ALSO reversible. How do they do it? I think the better question is, why dont they all do it???!

Well, I"m taking your word for it and ordered a set of those cables. I did also wonder about the larger plug but hey, the smaller one was more intriguing. I remember my BB Z10 or Z30 had both the micro-hdmi port and usb ports next to each other - boy was that a challenge keeping from messing up the innards.

Reactions: Former Member
Well, I"m taking your word for it and ordered a set of those cables. I did also wonder about the larger plug but hey, the smaller one was more intriguing. I remember my BB Z10 or Z30 had both the micro-hdmi port and usb ports next to each other - boy was that a challenge keeping from messing up the innards.
If it doesn't work Hey it's Amazon. You can return it. I should monetize these things and make a fortune. But I'm too honest. Or dumb.

Ok heres the rub. The magnetic cables are best for charging ONLY. I can't overemphasize that. But they are so simple, its crazy not to use them. Just plug it in one time, then never have to fiddle with that pesky Micro Usb again until you are ready to buy a Mavic 3.

The red universal cables are good for both charging AND data. They come in 3 lengths so you can choose the length thats right for your mission.

Personally, I keep the magnetic one plugged in to my controller, and plug the red one plugged into the bottom USB on the controller. The GREAT thing is that the red cable is also universal on the USB 2 end, so there is no wrong way to plug it in.

I love innovation, and since I replace a few ports a week for customers, I felt the need to share this one.

Ever any request to replace that ODDBALL side port with the newer micro usb c port - if it can be substituted? Which DJI should have done since the drone itself uses the "c" port/cable.

Ever any request to replace that ODDBALL side port with the newer micro usb c port - if it can be substituted? Which DJI should have done since the drone itself uses the "c" port/cable.

Yes because everyone hates Micro USB. Better to have USB C or Lightning, but nobody makes boards that have those connectors. Thus we are forced to find our own solutions. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Reactions: ff22
Can you charge the RC off a USB port?

Reactions: Former Member
sorry I wasn't clear... can you use like a regular phone charger?

sorry I wasn't clear... can you use like a regular phone charger?

Yes you can, but I dont like to. If you try it and you smell anything burning, unplug asap.

Samsung phone charger 5v at 2 amps
Mavic charger 5v at 2 amps

Attachments

• Samsung phone charger.jpg
    Samsung phone charger.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Mavic charger.jpg
    Mavic charger.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Samsung charger charging MP controller.jpg
    Samsung charger charging MP controller.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 20