DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Parachute

Adoni,
Leaving aside your drone use, which here in the USA is in violation many rules, there are several things you need to be aware of for a Drone Parachute system.
We at drone-retriever.com are in the process of developing a product which we hope to have released in 2020.
When you look for a design, make sure it can meet these specs:
A successful parachute needs to be autonomous.
Needs to activate within 15 milliseconds of vehicle pitch in excess of 50 degrees from horizontal.
Needs to deploy in less than 1 second. [ Deploy is defined as canopy is fully filled with air.]
Needs to have a canopy sufficiently large enough to slow a drone weighing up to 3 lbs dropping at 32 feet per second (21.8 MPH) to a speed of4.4 feet per second ( 3mph) at the point of achieving deployment. Any faster decent speed and damage will result to drone or person upon contact.

Scenario: Drone flying slightly above 50 feet loses power or single prop failure. Drone will pitch in excess of 50 degrees. Most drones will shut off props at pitch greater than 35 to 45 degrees.
The drone will drop at approx 32 feet during which the the canopy will be fully deployed and the drone will begin dropping at 4.4 feet per second for the remaining 28 feet.
For flights over people the unit should have both audible and visual indication to bring attention to the device as it descends to the ground so that people can avoid making contact.
Presently there are several products that deploy parachutes however due to their design limitations do not slow the decent to a speed sufficient to avoid damage. Additionally they need to be deployed at heights in excess of 150 feet to 300 feet for the parachute to actually deploy and begin to slow the decent. The speed the drone will be falling increases 32 ft/s2 so the greater the height and the longer it takes for deployment the faster the drone will be going once the parachute is fully deployed. One vendor claims that there parachute slows the drone to 8 miles per hour. It is our opinion this is way to fast. How many folks would fly there drone into a wall at 8 miles per hour and expect it to be ok.
We believe that eventually regulations will be developed to provide safety to the public in the event that a drone loses flight control when flying over people, It is our plan to be ahead of the curve on all of our products.

Reactions: Adonai and Drgnfli
Hello

I fly my Mavic 2 Zoom mainly for bvlos surveillance missions in a highly populated city, full of tall builldings and trees (plus wires etc etc), a couple of kilometers away from me, sometimes even at night, often taking off and landing from my hand.

When needed to closeup on a target i use to carefully maneuver by hand in P, often switching to T modes to avoid collision, desending between buildings, trees while keeping myself ready for a prompt disengage (switch to S and climb and so on..) not to get the drone downed by someone, hit by cars, animals etc etc.

Mavic 2 is quite reliable, i know, but with the risk of an ESC failure or a wire/bird strike around the corner, i dont want my drone falling like a stone, destroying itself and maybe killing someone.

Thus I'm looking for an auto chute system, being it the lightest and the quickest to deploy, having the minimum impact on drone maneuverability and machanical/electrical wear.

I lurked around the web, and foun a couple of interesting soulution, pity that my first choice, the Manti L (35 grams) didnt hit the shelves, and probably will never, cause looks like an abandoned project.

Im also evaluating the Vectorsafe 10 (85 grams) but that looks too slow to deploy (unsuit for lower altitudes) and the parazero, but it looks too heavy (85 grams) and anti aerodinamic giving the drone huge stress, and its stops the props, wich its better to stay on to provide additioal lift and slow its downfall, then the fruitychutes, that sounds to suffer both the weight and the speed problems.

I know also about a Hubsan x4 auto chute that has been adapted for Phantoms but cant find any spec about its weight and functioning.

Last of the list is to assemble a custom one, but I didnt find anyquick launche and conrollers on the market right now.

I would like to ask you some suggestion, and maybe some experience should anyone run a similar system on his drone.

Thank you.
The problem with chute for the Mavic 2 is the weight : 12ounces is really to heavy for the drone and so it need to be closer to 6 preferably , this really limits what is possible. With the phantom series u can negotiate weight much better .

phantomrain.org
Elite gear for your Mavic to fly in the rain .
Coal

Reactions: Adonai
"BVLOS is not allowed, but having aty your side a bud with a google is enough to justify great distances,"

Well firstly, I don't even understand what this means. But assuming it refers to a "bud" using "goggles" - that's prohibited too. Any VLOS observation in any country (as far as I can see having read many of the comparative rules) requires *unaided* visual location of the aircraft.

I seriously suspect that the OP is just trolling for reactions, but if not, I hope someone reports him to the local authorities. It is, of course, irresponsible behaviour like this that is causing the increasing regulation of the professional RPA world.

Reactions: Thomas B
Maybe by now at least a few of you have figured out you were totally baited and took it hook, line and sinker. Great job Adoni! I get so **** tired of trying to read an interesting post wading through the self righteous and I’m smarter than you posts to get to what the OP is ask.

Hello

I fly my Mavic 2 Zoom mainly for bvlos surveillance missions in a highly populated city, full of tall builldings and trees (plus wires etc etc), a couple of kilometers away from me, sometimes even at night, often taking off and landing from my hand.

When needed to closeup on a target i use to carefully maneuver by hand in P, often switching to T modes to avoid collision, desending between buildings, trees while keeping myself ready for a prompt disengage (switch to S and climb and so on..) not to get the drone downed by someone, hit by cars, animals etc etc.

Mavic 2 is quite reliable, i know, but with the risk of an ESC failure or a wire/bird strike around the corner, i dont want my drone falling like a stone, destroying itself and maybe killing someone.

Thus I'm looking for an auto chute system, being it the lightest and the quickest to deploy, having the minimum impact on drone maneuverability and machanical/electrical wear.

I lurked around the web, and foun a couple of interesting soulution, pity that my first choice, the Manti L (35 grams) didnt hit the shelves, and probably will never, cause looks like an abandoned project.

Im also evaluating the Vectorsafe 10 (85 grams) but that looks too slow to deploy (unsuit for lower altitudes) and the parazero, but it looks too heavy (85 grams) and anti aerodinamic giving the drone huge stress, and its stops the props, wich its better to stay on to provide additioal lift and slow its downfall, then the fruitychutes, that sounds to suffer both the weight and the speed problems.

I know also about a Hubsan x4 auto chute that has been adapted for Phantoms but cant find any spec about its weight and functioning.

Last of the list is to assemble a custom one, but I didnt find anyquick launche and conrollers on the market right now.

I would like to ask you some suggestion, and maybe some experience should anyone run a similar system on his drone.

Thank you.

The Problem is not finding a Chute System that works, , they all work. The issue that we have had and as you know we fly in the extreme weather conditions is the DRIFT , its bad , its dangerous, its deadly.

So imagine your flying over the river , safe , no people but 500 ft away you have a super highway. Bird smacks your drone , chute opens and you hope that the drone does not drift into cars coming 75 to 80 Mph and as you loose sight of your drone. When this happens you listen for the screech of cars breaking hard , the sound of glass shattering and last but not least the heart breaking sound of the ambulance . its real my friend we dabbled enough in the chutes to know .

Now with that horror spoken it would be wise to get a cute that came down harder rather than lighter.
For most people flying a drone requires flying in the wind and its always a part of the equation thats needs to be negotiated.

This is also why I recommend a Remote ejection to give you a little more control of when to pull the chute.

Phantomrain.org
Elite Gear to fly in the Rain or float on water !
Coal

Reactions: tmtwomey
When it comes to parachutes, you DO want it to stop the props because one form of failure would be a single prop or motor failure. Under these conditions the drone would not be controllable and would strike the ground (or an innocent bystander) with the other props still spinning.
Have no input on the Italy rules and the activities performed in the Cities.

I‘m more focused on the parachutes.
I’m often flying a city block construction site, normally early Sunday to avoid traffic or walkers. I’m more concerned on thought of craft failing over construction and the loss of craft and mounted camera. Primary is normally a Inspire 2, for redundant batteries and electronics, with a M2P in reserve.

I’d agree on the desired “prop stop“ feature, but on all the Mavic systems on market, none interface with the craft’s electronics. From the $2400 Parazero, fully ASTM F3322 compliant able to obtain crowd waiver to the $140 Manti2 protective chute, all are self contained Units.

Apparently a difference for smaller systems, to those for M300, M210 or M600Pro, the larger platforms do interface with craft electronics. The core system without optional trigger remote,etc start at $3500 and doesn’t include the purchase of the ASTM certification module.

Personally, for the Mavic series, I’d go with the Manti2 product to protect the craft and minimize other possible issues. The price is a cheap insurance add-on that works great for damage prevention depending on project.

I’m not certain, but the few times playing inside and bumped a wall, or plant... mild prop strike, the Mavic instantly shut down. I’m not certain, but it may be programmed to shutdown with any abnormal anomaly. If this is designed behavior, may be why the products don’t interface... no need.

The products for the Inspire 2 & 1 are also normally not interfaced, and I’m not sure my Inspire shuts down with a mild prop strike... probably same for abnormal anomaly. That would be little more touchy if deployed, you’d need to kill the motors manually. The other concern is orientation of craft & camera to ground.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure