DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro drifting when in flight

WNYDroner

Reactions
Hello all, I've been flying my M2P for a few weeks now and I've noticed when in flight (all modes) and I turn either right or left the drone turns and drifts about 15 feet or so before recovering into a straight line. Upon take off I hover and allow the homepoint to update and the drone doesn't drift at all. Is this normal for the M2P? Is there a fix to this.

When I turn my MA2 it does a little drifting as expected if going full throttle but hardly noticeable.

Thanks in advance!

- The M2P with it's 907g is much heavier compared to the MA2 which weighs 570g.
- The M2P is also slightly faster (Sport mode compared) ... 20m/s against the MA2 19m/s
- Both have the same maximum tilt angle of 35 degrees (in Sport mode) to utilize for turning.

All above specs gives the MA2 less momentum which give it the edge when it comes to change direction with less slipping.

On top of this both crafts need to have the same set stick sensitivity if it should be fully comparable ... a slower stick sensitivity can slightly delay the turn.

Another thing is how you're performing the turns ... just yawing, or both yawing & rolling. Rolling into the turn will give the craft more grip to do the turn.

So you're saying, while in hover, you rotate left/right (left stick), stop the rotation then the drone will drift?

So you're saying, while in hover, you rotate left/right (left stick), stop the rotation then the drone will drift?
Think you misunderstand what he writes ...

... when in flight ... and I turn either right or left the drone turns and drifts about 15 feet

... Upon take off I hover ... and the drone doesn't drift at all.

Think you misunderstand what he writes ...

... when in flight ... and I turn either right or left the drone turns and drifts about 15 feet

... Upon take off I hover ... and the drone doesn't drift at all.
Both your above quotes could be construed in a manner of ways. I'm asking for more information, additional symptoms, for clarification. Let him answer.

My Mavic Mini and Mavic 2 both sideslip if they are yawed/turned when moving. Just as hovercraft do.
It takes a while to loose the component of its travel in the original direction.
My Mavic Mini sideslips less than the Mavic 2, it hadn't occurred to me that this was because of the greater inertia of the Mavic 2.
With the drone the only way to stop this whilst moving is to add roll/bank, in the appropriate direction, as you yaw, that commands the drone to fly sideways relative to its fore aft line.
I believe one of the names given to this maneuver is a "co-ordinated turn" and is a skill I have yet to master.
Alternately you can stop the movement, i.e. hover, then yaw then restart the movement.
A drone that is yawed whilst hovering will not drift to any significant degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Let him answer.
:rolleyes: Just trying to be helpful, but yeah sure, let him rephrase it for you.

Just very odd, that something that is in flight, turns, drift & recovers into a straight line could be construed as hover... especially as he explicitly writes that during hover it doesn't drift at all.

:rolleyes: Just trying to be helpful, but yeah sure, let him rephrase it for you.

Just very odd, that something that is in flight, turns, drift & recovers into a straight line could be construed as hover... especially as he explicitly writes that during hover it doesn't drift at all.
Every forum, there's always a guy who has to demonstrate he's the smartest dude in the room. I ask a simple question directed at OP, and that dude has to respond. Just let the question stand and let OP answer...

Is being in a hover not considered being in flight? My thought was, when he stated he turned, that he was in a hover rotating left/right and the drone then drifted. This may indicate a calibration issue with the RC. I only ask because I wanted clarification and wanted to help if I could. I didn't need the formatted, bold, in-red response from Sheldon. Take it away, Sheldon.

Every forum, there's always a guy who has to demonstrate he's the smartest dude in the room. I ask a simple question directed at OP, and that dude has to respond...
Whatever floats your boat mate ... try the PM function if you can't stand discussions in an open thread.... note that I used "Think" when I addressed your post, & I'm sorry if bold & red wasn't your favorite.

Every forum, there's always a guy who has to demonstrate he's the smartest dude in the room.
I think that was uncalled for.
If you read some of Slup's other posts you will see that they generally go to a fair bit of trouble to help people.
It is also worth remembering that English is not the first language of every poster and consequently the way in which answers are provided may vary, so some leeway should be given.

I think that was uncalled for.
If you read some of Slup's other posts you will see that they generally go to a fair bit of trouble to help people.
It is also worth remembering that English is not the first language of every poster and consequently the way in which answers are provided may vary, so some leeway should be given.
But he wasn't helping OP. He was trying to correct me. Instead of letting OP answer, he interjected unnecessarily. Just worry about yourself, @slup. I wasn't talking to you.

Every forum, there's always a guy who has to demonstrate he's the smartest rudest dude in the room.

Reactions: tlswift58
WOW. I read the forum daily and Slup, Meta4, and Sar104 are three of the most intelligent and helpful guys on the forum. Any of the three of them will spent hours analyzing why a drone malfunctioned, help finding a lost drone, or analyze and describe in detail performance characteristics of the Mavic series of drones.. Yet, each of them can get caustic on occasion. I for one accept and ignore the occasional caustic response from these guys in exchange for the "hundreds" of excellent responses each of them provide. These three in particular have earned the right to act like they're the smartest dudes in the room.
Oh, and I also note that the originator from my childhood hometown, Jamestown, never did respond.

To clarify, when the drone is hovering, such as after take off, the drone doesn't drift. When in flight and yawing it drifts. I'll try to upload a video later. After reading some of the comments, I realized that the weight of the drone is significantly more than the MA2 so perhaps its the combination of the weight of the drone and yaw at the same time making it drift so far.

WOW. I read the forum daily and Slup, Meta4, and Sar104 are three of the most intelligent and helpful guys on the forum. Any of the three of them will spent hours analyzing why a drone malfunctioned, help finding a lost drone, or analyze and describe in detail performance characteristics of the Mavic series of drones.. Yet, each of them can get caustic on occasion. I for one accept and ignore the occasional caustic response from these guys in exchange for the "hundreds" of excellent responses each of them provide. These three in particular have earned the right to act like they're the smartest dudes in the room.
Oh, and I also note that the originator from my childhood hometown, Jamestown, never did respond.
I appreciate your insight. This is the first chance I've had to follow up. Who knew there was more than one person from our little area on here. :)

After reading some of the comments, I realized that the weight of the drone is significantly more than the MA2 so perhaps its the combination of the weight of the drone and yaw at the same time making it drift so far.
The basic reason for the drift in the original direction of flight is the fact that, when moving horizontally and yawed, the drone does nothing to counter its motion along the original direction. It merely starts adding motion in what ever direction relative to its nose the elevator / aileron is commanding.
So if, for example, you where originally flying sideways and yawed you would have to lift or lower the nose to counter the drift. Yaw whilst flying forwards or backwards and you have to add roll to counter the drift.

The amount by which it drifts is where the drones 'weight' comes in.

To clarify, when the drone is hovering, such as after take off, the drone doesn't drift. When in flight and yawing it drifts. I'll try to upload a video later. After reading some of the comments, I realized that the weight of the drone is significantly more than the MA2 so perhaps its the combination of the weight of the drone and yaw at the same time making it drift so far.
As it sounds like you're only using yaw to turn I think you can greatly minimize the "slipping" by input some roll at the same time ... it's usually not hard to learn, for turning efficiently to the left for instance just move both left & right stick to the left.

If you want somebody to take a closer look what's happening the best is to share a flight log from a flight when this happens. Read up here (read section 3.) on how to retrieve the mobile device .TXT log --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide attach it then in a new post here.

Reactions: JAW and WNYDroner
As it sounds like you're only using yaw to turn I think you can greatly minimize the "slipping" by input some roll at the same time ... it's usually not hard to learn, for turning efficiently to the left for instance just move both left & right stick to the left.

If you want somebody to take a closer look what's happening the best is to share a flight log from a flight when this happens. Read up here (read section 3.) on how to retrieve the mobile device .TXT log --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide attach it then in a new post here.
I will be trying to roll and yaw. I'm afraid the drift will eventually land me in tree or building so I practice is in my future for sure!!

Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
I think you can greatly minimize the "slipping" by input some roll at the same time ... it's usually not hard to learn, for turning efficiently to the left for instance just move both left & right stick to the left.
So true! And so often ignored. I flew my 350QX for almost 2 years before I realized I wasn't doing coordinated turns (effective use of both yaw and roll) but just "slipping" to a new direction.

I have a M2P which began doing the same thing. I recalibrated the IMU. Problem solved. Good luck with that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph