DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro...gimbal scratches etc

jmark

Reactions
Anyone else having problems with gimbal scratches right out of the box?

They aren't anywhere near as bad as some that I have seen, but it makes me wonder what else is wrong with the drone. Also, the rear legs rub against the lower body shell when I fold them in, at about where the rear leg motor mounts sit. I've taken to putting electrical tape to stop them gradually wearing the plastic down.

So, what should I do? This is my third DJI drone that has not lived up to expectations and I'm honestly tired of it. I want this drone to work and be fault free, but I don't know if I can trust DJI anymore.

Here are some pictures...

20180904_162556.jpg 20180905_081825.jpg 20180905_081836.jpg

I don't understand why this is even a problem on a drone that costs no small amount of money. This is shockingly bad quality control and shoddy design. Why did they even think they could get away with it? Like buyers wouldn't notice this? Or that people would just let it slip because it's a new drone and you'd lose millions by scrapping the faulty drones? Come on DJI, have a bit of respect for your customers!

So, what should I do? Do I trust that the drone will otherwise work perfectly? The scratches aren't big at all, barely noticeable, but they shouldn't be there. Period! And the legs should definately fold without rubbing on the body, I could already see marks on the legs and body after a couple of folds and I haven't even flown it yet.

Anyways, advice please.

Last edited:
I have a few M2's and the legs rub on all of them, but no gimbal scratches.

Neither the legs rubbing nor the gimbal rubbing will cause any flight problems.

This is from a pilot on facebook-I can almost guarantee the scratches are being made by DJI workers putting on this camera clamp that seems rather difficult at the beginning.. Pushing to hard on the gimbal will make contact with the 2 sharp damper tabs on the back of the gimbal where it seems these scratches are coming from.
Me: With the Gimbal cover on can the Gimbal move at all where it could bang around and do any damage ?
No.. once its put in place its solid.. It is only when you are placing it that i am assuming this damage is coming from. If you force it in the gimbal will push back and make contact with the damper tabs where it seems this "scratches" are coming from. Users where reporting that it was happening on flight but that is not the case at least with my drone. These scratches were made during packaging probably rushing the job placing the clamp on the gimbal at DJI. Even now when I place the gimbal clamp in you have to be a bit delicate if you dont' want to damage it.
Me:I wish they would switch to a hard rubber cover .
Thoughts ?

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv

They aren't anywhere near as bad as some that I have seen, but it makes me wonder what else is wrong with the drone. Also, the rear legs rub against the lower body shell when I fold them in, at about where the rear leg motor mounts sit. I've taken to putting electrical tape to stop them gradually wearing the plastic down.

So, what should I do? This is my third DJI drone that has not lived up to expectations and I'm honestly tired of it. I want this drone to work and be fault free, but I don't know if I can trust DJI anymore.

View attachment 45324 View attachment 45325 View attachment 45326

I don't understand why this is even a problem on a drone that costs no small amount of money. This is shockingly bad quality control and shoddy design. Why did they even think they could get away with it? Like buyers wouldn't notice this? Or that people would just let it slip because it's a new drone and you'd lose millions by scrapping the faulty drones? Come on DJI, have a bit of respect for your customers!

So, what should I do? Do I trust that the drone will otherwise work perfectly? The scratches aren't big at all, barely noticeable, but they shouldn't be there. Period! And the legs should definately fold without rubbing on the body, I could already see marks on the legs and body after a couple of folds and I haven't even flown it yet.

Anyways, advice please.

Just a bit of advice on the bold part.
A brand new, freshly released electronic item will rarely be fault free.
Problems are discovered after the release, and when firmware can fix things, it will.

Early adopters have to understand that there will be early adoption problems.

same goes for the scratches and rub marks. As these things are discovered, the assembly line is adjusted and or tweaked to try and eliminate many such issues.

The assembly line is adjusted and or tweaked to try and eliminate many such issues.
How long will this take , 3-6 months ?

Last edited:
Just a bit of advice on the bold part.
A brand new, freshly released electronic item will rarely be fault free.
Problems are discovered after the release, and when firmware can fix things, it will.

Early adopters have to understand that there will be early adoption problems.

same goes for the scratches and rub marks. As these things are discovered, the assembly line is adjusted and or tweaked to try and eliminate many such issues.

I don't recall any basic assembly scratches or rubbing on the early versions of the Mavic 1 series, so why now?

I don't recall any basic assembly scratches or rubbing on the early versions of the Mavic 1 series, so why now?

if memory serves, there were reports of minor scratching on the MP1 and many early firmware and app issues.
go to the official mavic thread on rcg and read up.

This is simply teething pain and one reason I try not to buy any rev 1, rev A, etc device.
I prefer to let others discover bugs and issues and give a manufacturer time to get things sorted out.

Same reason I would never buy a brand new generation of car.
The 1st year is always riddled with issues and the manufacturer sorts the problems out as the production matures.

The assembly line is adjusted and or tweaked to try and eliminate many such issues.
Does this usually take 3-6 months ?

its quite possible that the first shipments of MP2's were manufactured months ago.
This is their mad scramble time to get as many of these units produced and ready to ship as they can.

as time progresses, any issues found on the assembly line, or in the firmware, app, hardware, etc does get sorted out and fixed.
There is an instant gratification to buying a product at its release, but there is also the strong possibility that the product is not 100% ready as soon as its released.

Reactions: Former Member
i see alot of excuses flying around trying to justify the issues with the Mp2,
all of these problems should have been discovered in research and development and im sure they were but dji likely figured users would be awe struck with the 1 inch sensor and over look their poor engineering .

At least in my drone, the gimbal "scratches" weren't scratches at all and rubbed right off, so I really don't care as my drone works great so far.

I think every M2 has legs that rub the body- are we sure it wasn't engineered this way? Mine hasn't shown any wear marks so far, and if it did over time, I'm not sure I'd care. It's also possible to avoid the rubbing by applying outward pressure to the legs as they fold in.

These are normal early adopter teething issues. DJI isn't maliciously trying to **** their customer base over.

The tabs that were stated above have sharp edges i took them down with a knife pretty sure thats what caused the scratches on mine. Also the legs rubbing is bc the spring in the leg is tight just hold the slightest amout of pressure when closing the legs, problem solved

Reactions: Former Member
Maybe the springs in the legs will loosen up over time and quit hitting the body. Also can you post a picture of what you trimmed ?

Maybe the springs in the legs will loosen up over time and quit hitting the body. Also can you post a picture of what you trimmed ?

I will asap but its where the tabs are that sit right behind the gimble. Had sharp points and o just scrapped them off. It was like where the mold was pulled out when it was hot and left lil points. Tons of plastic stuff has em

Let's hope that that is the case. I can't imagine DJI have purposely not bothered to sort this this out if it would mean a ton of returns with defect drones over time.

Let's hope that that is the case. I can't imagine DJI have purposely not bothered to sort this this out if it would mean a ton of returns with defect drones over time.

When i get home ill check again. It was the first thing i looked at when it arrived and where the scratches are that had to be the only thing that could have caused it. Lined up perfect to the scratches

Reactions: Prado man
Mine was delivered today... no damage.

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv

View attachment 45324 View attachment 45325 View attachment 45326

Anyways, advice please.

I hope you remembered to take off those yellow plastic tabs covering the intake vents!

Jeff

As noted in another thread, I also suspect the gimbal scratches are caused during shipping. Inspecting the gimbal lock, it does not prevent the gimbal from traveling rearward. Thus a good bounce on the back end will indeed bounce the gimbal into the gimbal mounts causing surface damage. Also as noted in another thread, I too am of the belief that under normal operating conditions, the clearance in the back is more that adequate. The issue here in my opinion is simply an oversight in gimbal lock design. More importantly, I suspect if you transport your M2 vertically, you should carry it nose-down if possible.

On mine, only a small portion of the (rear) motor housings make contact with the body. There is a visible gap between the body and the legs.

Reactions: Kingram
if dji designed the springs to loosen up to stop scrubbing then it would affect both legs,,no,, this is a spec error in design

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
controllesp