DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro in Texas.... heading to SE Asia

LonghornChuvak

Reactions
I've always wanted to get my pilot's license. I've finally decided that DJI made it very easy enough for me to get in the air. I got my Mavic 2 Pro last weekend and took my first flight out over the local lake (was a bit scared that I'd lose it but it came home). I'm heading to SE Asia (Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam) for a few weeks this summer. I can't wait to get some video and footage in the islands. Anyone ever shot over there before and have some tips - both photo/video and/or foreign shooting related? Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot here.

Last edited:
Here’s a good place to start with contacts and info by country:

Reactions: LonghornChuvak
I lived in Asia for a long time. As in anything, you just want to show respect. My personal rules are:
  1. Bring a translated copy of each countries drone laws. You can show it to authorities if needed.
  2. Dont fly over temples if there are monks present.
  3. Stay away from military bases.
  4. Bring a backup drone. Although you can find parts all over Thailand, its best to have a backup drone just in case.
  5. Dont argue with police.
  6. Bring ND filters.
  7. Try to get travel insurance to cover the drone before you go. Sometimes homeowners or PAP insurance wont cover a loss in a foreign country.
  8. Bring extra batteries.

Reactions: BangkokFlyBoy
Thanks! Those are all great points and some CYAs that I hadn't thought of. I've heard that I need to be extra careful in Vietnam - I definitely won't be doing anything even remotely risky there. Appreciate ya.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Currently in China and a new member on the forums but a long time drone pilot. I've flown in the likes of many SE Asian countries--Thailand, Sri Lanka, China-, Indonesia--and my best recommendation is to know the drone laws of each country you are going inside and out and absolutely be respectful of those laws. I definitely echo Thunderdrones list of points. I want to expand on a few points:

1. Again, make sure you're familiar with local laws and bring both english and host country translation of them. Most of these countries have a civil authority where you can find the local regs in the local language--generally speaking: line of sight flight, flight ceilings, no night time flying, etc. Thailand actually has relatively strict drone regulations, especially near military bases and they are not always captured on the DJI mapping database. Be familiar with your surroundings and if you start drawing a large crowd, you may want to call it a flight so you don't attract too much undue attention and get your drone confiscated by the police. Definitely steer clear of military installations, temples, and large crowds, and regard the flight ceilings.
2. You'll be able to find spare parts in these countries if you're willing to spend the time to look for them and are also in/near major cities. Bangkok has some epic malls with electronics stores aplenty, but you may not want to fly or even spend much time in the major cities with how beautiful the country is outside these megacities. In short, bring spares that you know you'll need and make sure you do have an travel charger compatible with these countries. Oh, and definitely multiple spare batteries.
3. Regarding insurance, many US based insurances will not cover overseas locations so make sure it is in your policy for outside the US--this will not only cover your drone but also--heaven forbid--any damage your drone could cause in a foreign country.

As for shooting, definitely invest in a good set of ND filters, especially if flying near/over water. They will absolutely come in handy. And if your phone screen isn't that great, a sunshade or a device that you can turn the brightness way up for those sunny days is a must. I also recommend a set of extension legs for beach landings, so either legs or a landing pad comes in handy to keep from kicking up too much sand. Have fun and enjoy!

I've always wanted to get my pilot's license. I've finally decided that DJI made it very easy enough for me to get in the air. I got my Mavic 2 Pro last weekend and took my first flight out over the local lake (was a bit scared that I'd lose it but it came home). I'm heading to SE Asia (Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam) for a few weeks this summer. I can't wait to get some video and footage in the islands. Anyone ever shot over there before and have some tips - both photo/video and/or foreign shooting related? Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot here.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new M2P, Fly safe and have fun!

When I was in Hanoi last March. There was a red dome over the city. It’s not like an NFZ where there a warning in Go4 and the Mavic motors won’t start. I got a red message from the Go4 app that states “Aircraft will not RTH” when I got close to the red dome. Without taking any risk I stayed away. See attachment.

Attachments

• 7AA86CD8-DBEB-4FEE-9920-2BD3D83010D5.jpeg
    7AA86CD8-DBEB-4FEE-9920-2BD3D83010D5.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 6
Currently in China and a new member on the forums but a long time drone pilot. I've flown in the likes of many SE Asian countries--Thailand, Sri Lanka, China-, Indonesia--and my best recommendation is to know the drone laws of each country you are going inside and out and absolutely be respectful of those laws. I definitely echo Thunderdrones list of points. I want to expand on a few points:

1. Again, make sure you're familiar with local laws and bring both english and host country translation of them. Most of these countries have a civil authority where you can find the local regs in the local language--generally speaking: line of sight flight, flight ceilings, no night time flying, etc. Thailand actually has relatively strict drone regulations, especially near military bases and they are not always captured on the DJI mapping database. Be familiar with your surroundings and if you start drawing a large crowd, you may want to call it a flight so you don't attract too much undue attention and get your drone confiscated by the police. Definitely steer clear of military installations, temples, and large crowds, and regard the flight ceilings.
2. You'll be able to find spare parts in these countries if you're willing to spend the time to look for them and are also in/near major cities. Bangkok has some epic malls with electronics stores aplenty, but you may not want to fly or even spend much time in the major cities with how beautiful the country is outside these megacities. In short, bring spares that you know you'll need and make sure you do have an travel charger compatible with these countries. Oh, and definitely multiple spare batteries.
3. Regarding insurance, many US based insurances will not cover overseas locations so make sure it is in your policy for outside the US--this will not only cover your drone but also--heaven forbid--any damage your drone could cause in a foreign country.

As for shooting, definitely invest in a good set of ND filters, especially if flying near/over water. They will absolutely come in handy. And if your phone screen isn't that great, a sunshade or a device that you can turn the brightness way up for those sunny days is a must. I also recommend a set of extension legs for beach landings, so either legs or a landing pad comes in handy to keep from kicking up too much sand. Have fun and enjoy!
Thanks. This is some great advice. Im definitely going to do all of this and, overall, be pretty risk averse. I expect the majority of of my shooting/flying will be on the beaches with my kids. And I got the PolarPro nd filters (4,8,16 incl polarized) so that should help. I really appreciate your thoughts and look forward to posting some stuff here.

I lived in Asia for a long time. As in anything, you just want to show respect. My personal rules are:
  1. Bring a translated copy of each countries drone laws. You can show it to authorities if needed.
  2. Dont fly over temples if there are monks present.
  3. Stay away from military bases.
  4. Bring a backup drone. Although you can find parts all over Thailand, its best to have a backup drone just in case.
  5. Dont argue with police.
  6. Bring ND filters.
  7. Try to get travel insurance to cover the drone before you go. Sometimes homeowners or PAP insurance wont cover a loss in a foreign country.
  8. Bring extra batteries.
Great quick tips as always.

I would add - specifically for Thailand - that No. 3, No. 5 and No.7 on this list are absolutely key! This will save you a lot of time and energy and possibly a confiscated drone while here.

As long as you stick to the rules/guidelines, it's a magical place to fly and pretty much across the country you'll find great footage anytime you launch.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beechpilot