DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro release soon?

Yes, you crop and loose half of the frame in the process. That is not what people here want. They want full sensor size vertical photos.
***EDIT***
Sensor sizes are confusing and the figure has been corrected to properly show the Mini 3 sensor size

The only way you can get full sensor-size vertical photos is to use the Mini 3 pro.
Its sensor size is 75 sq mm.
If you crop a half-frame vertical out of the Mavic 3's main camera, you get a 112.8 sq mm vertical (that's 50% bigger).
If you want good vertical shots, cropping Mavic 3 images still gives a bigger image size than full frame images from the Mini 3 pro..

i-2JHS4vj.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
The only way you can get full sensor-size vertical photos is to use the Mini 3 pro.
Its sensor size is 16.3 sq mm.
If you crop a half-frame vertical out of the Mavic 3's main camera, you get a 112.8 sq mm vertical (that's 7 times bigger).
If you want good vertical shots, cropping Mavic 3 images is the way to go.

way.
i-bKKJ5Cv.jpg

Clearly put.

I'm guessing that many people like to compose in the camera and use the output as is, rather than cropping afterwards. Convenience trumps image quality. And that's just fine if the final image is going to be viewed on a cell phone.

I think that in-camera composition also explains much of the popularity of digital zoom. It might be more aptly named "snapshot zoom."

I think that in-camera composition also explains much of the popularity of digital zoom. It might be more aptly named "snapshot zoom."
Or get rid of the word zoom altogether. It causes too much confusion.
How about "sensor cropping" - or even better: "sensor crippling" :)

Clearly put.

I'm guessing that many people like to compose in the camera and use the output as is, rather than cropping afterwards. Convenience trumps image quality. And that's just fine if the final image is going to be viewed on a cell phone.

It took a while to find the actual dimensions of the Mini 3 pro's camera sensor.
The details and figure above have been corrected now.

I just hope the additional cameras aren't low quality like the current 7x camera.
***EDIT***
Sensor sizes are confusing and the figure has been corrected to properly show the Mini 3 sensor size

Its sensor size is 75 sq mm.
If you crop a half-frame vertical out of the Mavic 3's main camera, you get a 112.8 sq mm vertical (that's 50% bigger).
If you want good vertical shots, cropping Mavic 3 images still gives a bigger image size than full frame images from the Mini 3 pro..

i-2JHS4vj.jpg

Ok but the FOV is still not the same.

Reactions: js47 and Hauptmann
I think that this might be a thing on all future DJI drones.

Here's to hoping that the Air 3 has it too.
If it is going to be used only for tiktok,and whatever like that they only need the rotating gimbal on
their mini series as resolution for social media is a non factor anyway.And that is what its main purpose is.

So they're going to put out a M3 Pro before they release an Air 3 or Air 3S?

Interesting strategy, lower volume on a much higher-priced product.

Or is the Mini going to be the mass volume product now and there's really no middle ground between the M3 Pro and the Mini?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fuckyoupaymenowww